• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2022 gsa final drive oil

Yes G3 is what is called for. I use Liqi Molly

Here is a link to the BMW flavor. I used one quart of it and then went to Liqui Molly gear oil and engine oil.

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/bmw-synthetic-g3-hypoid-axle-oil-70w-80-500ml

If BMW says that G3 has to be used they would be required to provide it free of charge. Since they don't do that they apparently don't say that.

At $51 per half liter it is, as folks say, a "bit pricey". If I had a manual (sigh) I could look up the actual specification for final drive gear oil. The interesting thing is that G3 is listed as a 70w80 wt. gear oil and most on the market are 80w90. GL5 of course. I have no idea if this viscosity difference is crucial or not.

What viscosity? Have you seen a 70w80 wt other than the G3?

I think it’s 80-90. I know, I know …
But final drives should not be that sensitive to minor variations in lubricant viscosity.
If they are, maybe something is wrong with the fundamental design.

If BMW says that G3 has to be used they would be required to provide it free of charge. Since they don't do that they apparently don't say that.

At $51 per half liter it is, as folks say, a "bit pricey". If I had a manual (sigh) I could look up the actual specification for final drive gear oil. The interesting thing is that G3 is listed as a 70w80 wt. gear oil and most on the market are 80w90. GL5 of course. I have no idea if this viscosity difference is crucial or not.

So what do you think they are pouring in your FD when they do a service?

G3 is one spec and API GL-5 is another of the same BMW gear oil I linked. Maybe a bit of confusion on the specs associated with gear oil?

The BMW shop told me about it, the G3. A consideration- if within BMW warranty or extended warranty and the final drive SHOULD EVER go out, not using G3 when specified by the manufacturer may result in a warranty claim denial on a failed final drive?

Last edited:
The BMW shop told me about it, the G3. A consideration- if within BMW warranty or extended warranty and the final drive SHOULD EVER go out, not using G3 when specified by the manufacturer may result in a warranty claim denial on the failed final drive?

Then it should be free. There’s a law pertaining to that dealer’s claim of could void warranty. The law is there to keep manufacturers from stating they’ll void a warranty solution because, for instance, you must purchase their specific branded air to fill your tires or their $51 for 500ml final drive oil when other comparable viscosity is available from source at 1/5 the cost. Your dealer up to date on laws and regulations?

The BMW shop told me about it, the G3. A consideration- if within BMW warranty or extended warranty and the final drive SHOULD EVER go out, not using G3 when specified by the manufacturer may result in a warranty claim denial on the failed final drive?

I suppose it’s only a matter of time before BMW starts selling branded gasoline in 5 gallon cans, like Sunoco does with their racing fuel. That same $105 might get you 5 gallons of the “approved” BMW hydrocarbon, blended specifically for our high-tech German/Chinese/India engines. It would probably help dealer profitability too …

Specified - Recommend…… very much not the same thing. G3 is recommended, not specified. Every manufacturer recommends things that make them money. If they specify anything, then they must provide them for free. Does anyone know of anything a manufacturer has specified and provided for free? I imagine there must have been something, sometime.

Specified - Recommend…… very much not the same thing. G3 is recommended, not specified. Every manufacturer recommends things that make them money. If they specify anything, then they must provide them for free. Does anyone know of anything a manufacturer has specified and provided for free? I imagine there must have been something, sometime.

Certain high priced cars - Mercedes comes to mind maybe - provide certain services and the associated supplies free for the period of a warranty.

Exactly why I paid the price for a quart to use while my bike was in warranty. Dealer has never seen my bike and never will. I only fussed over the gear oil because I did not know if the FD failures still plagued BMW and wanted no wiggle room from the dealer if so.

Well I did do a software update for 50 bucks about 6 months ago.

+1

Certain high priced cars - Mercedes comes to mind maybe - provide certain services and the associated supplies free for the period of a warranty.

Probably should read- “At no additional charge” rather than “free”.

It was suggested somewhere that vehicle manufacturers were including “free” maintenance, especially in lease vehicles, was not only a good marketing ploy but it helped to insure that the returned vehicle had properly been serviced.

This whole “I need to protect the warranty” discussion really needs to include the advertising gimmick that shows the vehicle doing something to enthuse a prospective buyer with a disclaimer to not do what they show the vehicle doing. :scratch

OM

BMW cars - at least here in Canada - come with included standard oil change/service for the warranty period.

Exactly why I paid the price for a quart to use while my bike was in warranty. Dealer has never seen my bike and never will. I only fussed over the gear oil because I did not know if the FD failures still plagued BMW and wanted no wiggle room from the dealer if so.

Well I did do a software update for 50 bucks about 6 months ago.

I'm much of the same thought process. I have been using BMW branded oil for my F850GSA while it was under warranty (and may continue to do so now) just to ensure that I had no issues. I was not so much thinking of the warranty itself, but of ensuring the products used met the requirements for the bike to ensure longevity of the mechanical components. I have not had success finding a suitable oil that meets the specs at a price any better than the BMW stuff.

As for final drives, my GSA is a chain so not a problem, but my new RT will be a shaft as is my current GT. The issue in the past with FD failures was never an issue of the oil since the large bearing that was the source of failure is not lubricated by the oil being outside the main seal. It does seem that the reports of failures has dropped off from a few years back so one might conclude BMW has possibly sourced better quality or better spec bearings to fix that issue. With that in mind, I don't think using an oil different from the reccomended product is an issue at all so long as it meets the required specs.

Last edited:
Back