• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

120,000 Miles and new free final drive shaft

The failures apparently do happen; I just got my 2018 R1200 GS Rallye back today from it's 30K service. They did a "Swingarm Drain Retrofit and Driveshaft Check". In the invoice notes it states:

Tech preformed recall. Tested shaft, failed.
Drilled hole and replaced shaft. Shaft seized to rear end.
Removal using special tool required.
0060406 drilling hole .3
+3373502 check .6
3373507 r/r .3
3373503 special tool .3
total 1.5hr JSN

I'm glad that BMW picked up the tab for that.

With this servicing , recall and a new Dunlop Trailmax Mission rear tire, I am ready for my ride to Redmond!

I made an appointment to have the shaft replaced under a recall on my 2017 GSA in a couple weeks.

A couple days ago while passing two cars at 65 mph it broke. It locked the rear wheel and made for an exciting ride.

I called Progressive roadside assistance and had it towed to the tow truck's shop in rural Wisconsin. I retrieved it the next it trailered it back to Milwaukee.

The nice folks at MotoUnion, the BMW/Ducati, Augusta and Royal Enfield dealer, in Milwaukee, lifted it off the trailer and dragged it into the shop. They will crack it open in the next day or so to get the claims process working with BMW.

The service guy I used at a now-closed dealer in Beaver Dam, Wis., says that BMW, is not known for swift replies. He thought the claim might be processed faster since the shaft was a known problem and they had authorized a free replacement. I was never told not to ride the bike.

One of the service folks in Milwaukee said I was the first broken shaft they've seen on this. Lucky me. They were impressed I didn’t wipe out. I didn’t have much time to think about it. The mechanic thought the gearbox might be toast and that could have wrecked the engine as well. They’ll know more soon.

I'm hoping BMW does me a solid one.

How low should I set my expectations?

Anyone have an experience they want to share?

Attachments

• IMG_9574.jpg
    IMG_9574.jpg
    965.8 KB · Views: 26
I made an appointment to have the shaft replaced under a recall on my 2017 GSA in a couple weeks.

A couple days ago while passing two cars at 65 mph it broke. It locked the rear wheel and made for an exciting ride.

I called Progressive roadside assistance and had it towed to the tow truck's shop in rural Wisconsin. I retrieved it the next it trailered it back to Milwaukee.

The nice folks at MotoUnion, the BMW/Ducati, Augusta and Royal Enfield dealer, in Milwaukee, lifted it off the trailer and dragged it into the shop. They will crack it open in the next day or so to get the claims process working with BMW.

The service guy I used at a now-closed dealer in Beaver Dam, Wis., says that BMW, is not known for swift replies. He thought the claim might be processed faster since the shaft was a known problem and they had authorized a free replacement. I was never told not to ride the bike.

One of the service folks in Milwaukee said I was the first broken shaft they've seen on this. Lucky me. They were impressed I didn’t wipe out. I didn’t have much time to think about it. The mechanic thought the gearbox might be toast and that could have wrecked the engine as well. They’ll know more soon.

I'm hoping BMW does me a solid one.

How low should I set my expectations?

Anyone have an experience they want to share?
It seems that since there is a recall out on the driveshaft, they should cover it since the damage caused was directly due to the part that was recalled. Here's hoping for the best and a quick resolution to the issue.

Just curious, how many miles do you have on the GSA?

It seems that since there is a recall out on the driveshaft, they should cover it since the damage caused was directly due to the part that was recalled. Here's hoping for the best and a quick resolution to the issue.

Just curious, how many miles do you have on the GSA?
56,000. I was planning on buying a second sportier bike, that purchase might become more of a priority while I await an answer

Just had my driveshaft replaced on my 2019 RT this past Saturday.

Bike has 38,500 miles. I lubed the rear splines every 10k...So thought all would be ok but wanted to get it done while getting a new tire installed...Glad I did. Took a while, and the writer told me they had a rough time removing it off the front spline, signs of water getting in...And the front u-joint didn't look very good. They also installed the rubber drain. Bike feels great!

Back