• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil change question, not what kind of oil. :)

elvis

Hello All,

Just looking for thoughts.

New '22 GSA, purchased in Oct. '23. I did first oil, filter and final drive fluid at mileage 601. Then basically is being parked until Spring. I took it out for a New Years Day ride but due to living in New Hampshire, salt and such on roads, it pretty much is parked until roads are cleaned up a bit which could be late March or so.

My question is: Would you change the oil, filter again in Spring or run it until it needs it by mileage?

Just looking for opinions.
Thanks in advance.
DS

You didn’t mention where the bike is/was stored. If in a climate controlled environment such as a heated building/attached garage- I wouldn’t be concerned.
If stored outside, covered and subject to the temperature inversions that spring can bring, like the kind of temperature swing that causes the heavier parts of the bike to “sweat“- maybe.
I find any accumulated moisture, enough to be concerned about, will/would give oil- or hydraulic fluid, a milky appearance.
If the fresh oil from the fall still looks good in the spring, chances are, the oil is still good.
Down here in Mass, with way too many engines, I haven’t found over-wintering oil to be a concern……but I still keep an eye on the oil.
OM

You didn’t mention where the bike is/was stored. If in a climate controlled environment such as a heated building/attached garage- I wouldn’t be concerned.
If stored outside, covered and subject to the temperature inversions that spring can bring, like the kind of temperature swing that causes the heavier parts of the bike to “sweat“- maybe.
I find any accumulated moisture, enough to be concerned about, will/would give oil- or hydraulic fluid, a milky appearance.
If the fresh oil from the fall still looks good in the spring, chances are, the oil is still good.
Down here in Mass, with way too many engines, I haven’t found over-wintering oil to be a concern……but I still keep an eye on the oil.
OM
OM,
I'm in southern NH, so not sub zero temps and it's parked inside our attached garage on a tender. Temps in the garage vary from 50 to 55.
Thanks for responding.
DS

OM,
I'm in southern NH, so not sub zero temps and it's parked inside our attached garage on a tender. Temps in the garage vary from 50 to 55.
Thanks for responding.
DS
Nice. :thumb
I should be so lucky to have that kind of care! :bliss
Your bike should be very happy, and just fine.
Ride safe.
OM

If the fresh oil from the fall still looks good in the spring, chances are, the oil is still good
The oil site glass makes it easy to see the condition of the oil.

If the bike has been stored in a heated garage, it should be fine to ride it until the mileage says, it’s time to change the oil.
Tenequip

Elvis, your oil is going to be just fine. Run it to the next scheduled oil change.

I remember years ago opening my backyard shed door to find my motorcycle covered with frost. It was a warm winter day with the sun beating down on the shed. I knew then I'd never park another motorcycle in that shed over our cold winters. But over time I realized it's not the unheated shed, but the uninsulated shed that caused the issue. With insulation you won't have the temperature swings that cause the sweat/frost. I now store my bikes in our main insulated garage and never have any sweating issues. Don't think you need to have a heated garage to store your motorcycles.

Thank you all for the replies, I appreciate them. I'm going to wait until the next mileage oil change.

Thanks again.

My bikes spend the winter in an unheated garage, on battery tenders, covered loosely. Temps here used to get to -40c.. When spring arrives I wait for a rain to wash the salt & gravel off the roads, then ride the bike for a month or so..then I change the oil.

Back