• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2021 RT Navigation

ptwest

I find it interesting that there is no discussion of the 2021 RT navigation....
I find it a large step backward that the integrated mount, with wonder wheel linkage, for the Navigator has been deleted.
BMW expects me to want to use only my phone for navigation?
I do not know about other riders, but I am often out of cell phone service.

I am interested in seeing comments from others.

Got one of the early releases ‘21 RT. The TFT is definitely a work in progress. You don’t need cell service. You download all the maps into your BMW connected app so you just need access to a GPS satellite, the same as a standalone GPS. They app uses TomTom maps. The most common problem on forums and what I’ve experienced is the WiFi connection between your phone and the bike will drop, meaning the maps go away. You will still have turn instructions on the TFT but no maps, very annoying and frustrating. The various functions don’t always play nice together. There is supposed to be a major update in Sept. that hopefully will address most of the connectivity issues. When it works I like it. I bought a used iphoneX, didn’t put a sim in it and use it just for the bike.

I like it as well. I used it exclusively on my ride to the Rally in June, I had some issues with taking phone calls and the map dropping but most times I had turn by turn instruction. I could "reset network settings" on my phone and get the app to function fully again, until the next phone call. I suspect most of the problems are in my phone, looking forward to the next app update.

It's certainly no worse than buying a nearly 1,000 dollar GPS only to have to send it back to the manufacturer numerous times for replacement due to ghosting screen and other issues, comm on issue with NAV 6.

It's certainly no worse than buying a nearly 1,000 dollar GPS only to have to send it back to the manufacturer numerous times for replacement due to ghosting screen and other issues, comm on issue with NAV 6.

But it is worse than buying a decent stand alone GPS for a few hundred dollars - mine is a Garmin 660 - which has never failed in any respect whatsoever. You don't always get what you pay for.

"You don’t need cell service. You download all the maps into your BMW connected app"

So is this a one time map download? Is the map on your phone or in the TFT unit?
Is the map the complete north America map, or just the area you will be travelling in?

I did see somewhere that it only permits 50 way points in a gpx file.
A small number for a long trip.

But it is worse than buying a decent stand alone GPS for a few hundred dollars - mine is a Garmin 660 - which has never failed in any respect whatsoever. You don't always get what you pay for.

I use an old Zumo 350LM on my 2009 GSA! I bought it used about 12 years ago and it has always been flawless. Have a NAV 6 on my 2019RT and no issues there either (except for the cost). I would always choose stand alone vs depending on my phone. And the 350LM actually navigates better than the Nav 6. Voice prompts are clearer, alerts you to turn sooner. My Nav.6 sometimes lags and I'll miss my turn. Zumo 350 never misses a beat.

"You don’t need cell service. You download all the maps into your BMW connected app"

So is this a one time map download? Is the map on your phone or in the TFT unit?
Is the map the complete north America map, or just the area you will be travelling in?

I did see somewhere that it only permits 50 way points in a gpx file.
A small number for a long trip.

I've not seen much discussion of route handling with the Connected app. but with my Zumo, a long day's ride is seldom more than twenty via points, with 10-15 being more common. I break up long, multi-day rides into individual routes for each day for ease of handling and flexibility.

You download once and the maps are on your phone. I downloaded all of NA but they have global maps. I have used BaseCamp since its inception as I like to plan my routes on my computer and then download. The BMW app has no issues with this process. On my trips I have also had the app program a route just to see how it worked and it was no problem (until the WiFi connection dropped). If they get the connectivity issue fixed I definitely prefer it over a standalone GPS.

I don't like the idea of needing a phone to see maps on the TFT.
I don't see why BMW did not load maps on the TFT. That's how it's done on my car.
I visited with two guys at a motel this spring and they were showing the large TFT display on their Full Dress 2021 Indians.
They said the maps were loaded on the bike, no phone needed.
The one guy said he didn't know how to connect to the bike with wifi.
The map display was very nice, and easy to read. The screen looked like it was 8" to 10"

For whoever is actually using this system:

Just to be clear: Once the maps are on my phone, I no longer need cell service.
And the phone must remain at all times with the bike or the gps / navigation does not function?

But there are glitches for the phone to TFT connection which affects the function?

And the phone must remain at all times with the bike or the gps / navigation does not function?

But there are glitches for the phone to TFT connection which affects the function?

I don't always leave my phone on while riding on trips and my wife rarely has her phone on while on her bike.

Correct you no longer need cell service
There must be a blue tooth AND wifi connection between the phone you are using and the bike. If you lose the wifi connection, (the most common issue reported concerning navigation) you will still get turn by turn instructions but no map.
There are connectivity issues with the wifi connection not being stable and that is what we are hoping will be addressed by the update.
I also would have preferred to be able to load maps/routes into the display in addition to having CarPlay built in. I would be much less annoyed.
BTW I really like the bike.

to strataj:

I would be interested in seeing about the actual mounting details.

And what brand parts were used for the mounting.

Thanks.

"Why did he use a four button cradle for a Nav VI on a bike with a Wonder Wheel ?"

I am sure the Wonder Wheel will not work on Nav VI on the 2021 RT with TFT.

If I am wrong, I would be pleased to hear that.

Back