• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2017 GSA Windshield Mechanism

bobs_one

So, the bike fell over in the garage (long, stupid story) and the windshield was in the raised position and hit a shelf as the bike fell over. One of the lower plastic arms on the windshield broke (throttle side) and the other (clutch side) cracked.

I've replaced both and all is good again now - except ...

You have to undo the top of the metal rods that the lower arms slide up and down on so that you can slide the old arm off and put the new arm on. To get to the mounting screw for the clutch side one, I had to remove the coil spring.

Got the new arms installed but when I re-installed the coil spring it was not clear to me if it was supposed to be preloaded (somehow) or just pressed back onto the end of the pivot shaft. I just pressed it on (the spring presses into a slot in the end of the pivot bar). The windshield now seems to be very difficult to raise. I can't tell if it's because I didn't preload the spring or if something else is bent (maybe the pivot bar - but it looks ok) or if I just reassembled the thing incorrectly. However, since the spring is a large, stiff coil spring, I assume that I was supposed to preload it somehow.

Does anyone know the correct answer?:banghead

Back