• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 RT brake pedal adjustment

Only very slightly. If you remove the brake pedal and loosen the bolts that secure it to the threaded rod, you can move it up or down a little bit. To move it further requires either offsetting the brake actuator (as Wunderlich does with their peg lowering kit) or purchasing something like the Ilium adjustable brake pedal.

Agree with lirider.
There is a nylock nut (kind of thing) just inside the u shaped end of the brake push rod that attaches to the back of the lever. You can gently wrench that and it pulls the link up against, almost in to, the dust boot on the rear brake master cylinder.
However... The Ilium brake pedal works much better.

http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=30-600&pID=121

left-foot.jpg

+1! on the Ilium Works brake pedal. It's remarkably adjustable, easily installed (after your trip to the bank) and works great.

Please bear with me on this but I really see very little need for an almost $200.00 rear brake lever! I have only had my 2016 RT for a few weeks now and very rarely even use the rear brakes! Is the rear brake not linked (sorry if wrong terminology!) to the front brakes so that when you pull the front brake lever both front and rear brakes are applied proportionally? For what the OEM lever does just seems fine to me!:scratch

Please bear with me on this but I really see very little need for an almost $200.00 rear brake lever! I have only had my 2016 RT for a few weeks now and very rarely even use the rear brakes! Is the rear brake not linked (sorry if wrong terminology!) to the front brakes so that when you pull the front brake lever both front and rear brakes are applied proportionally? For what the OEM lever does just seems fine to me!:scratch

On an 02R1150RT of mine I lowered the pegs. The kit I got came with the ability to lower the shifter and the brake pedal putting them back in alignment as stock. The kits I've seen for the Wethead RT don't offer this. I'd like to lower my pegs but I don't like scraping or for me touching my foot while leaned over. I'd like to know the size of the chicken strip on the bikes with lowered pegs?

Jay

This is a valid point. And you generally don't want the rear break linked (BMW did this on the 1200C??? or something?).
However, for those of us that trail brake (used for mid corner corrections) I think it was well worth it.

This is a valid point. And you generally don't want the rear break linked (BMW did this on the 1200C??? or something?).
However, for those of us that trail brake (used for mid corner corrections) I think it was well worth it.

Using only the rear brake while trail braking is a misnomer, goggle it. My 02R1150RT had fully linked brakes, I had no problems with them.

Jay

I always use both brakes. Yes, they are linked but using both allows you to stop faster so I keep myself in the habit in case of an emergency stop presents itself. The rear brake is applied when using the front brake but at a small percentage. If you start braking from speed using only the front...then press down on the rear brake lever and you will feel yourself slow down even faster. The adjustable brake lever typically comes into play to those who have installed peg lowering kits so in your case, yes, you probably do not have a need for an adjustable brake lever.

I use the rear brake all the time and almost exclusively during low speed maneuvering. BMW did right by not linking rear to front for that purpose (front links to rear). I've got the Suburban Machinery lowering pegs and found that I get enough brake lowering from the simple adjustment on the original pedal without the need for the $200 replacement. It works for me anyway but I'm used to lifting my toe a little on my Magna so this is no big deal.

Actually, if you check the Suburban Machinery web site, you'll find they do offer an extender. However, I think most people don't find it necessary since you can adjust the stock shifter quite a bit.

Runnor - the shift lever is adjustable. I seem to recall that it's just a matter of loosening a couple of locking nuts, then rotating a piece which moves the front of the lever up or down. Then the locking nuts are re-tightened. I think it probably requires a couple of open-ended wrenches...maybe 9, 10, or 11mm. I don't recall for sure and could not find the place in the manual.

I just installed a set of Knight Design lowered pegs on my 2016 RT and I'm definitely ordering the $200 brake pedal.

I like the lowered foot position but, after a short ride I don't like have the brake pedal above my toe when riding. The other issue I have with the lowered pegs is that your foot is an extra 1/2" away from the frame which means that I get a little less foot on the brake lever. According to the Ilium site the actual peg on the brake lever is longer than the stock lever so I'm hoping this will resolve my concern.

Yeah, it's a lot of money but my knee comfort is worth it.

Ski

Back