• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wethead RT vs Camhead RT

I had a 2017 RT and could not get comfortable on it due to the seat/footpeg ratio/distance no matter what I did. I'd sit on one first and compare with your current ride before making a purchase.
FWIW, my 04 oil-head was way more ergonomic in all aspects. YMMV

The Camhead bikes are very well sorted out machines. The issues of the Hexheads seem to be resolve and they also benefit from having just enough technology. They are easy to maintain, do not require valve adjustment very often (nor do the wethead 1200s or 1250s) and are reliable. If you don't have a great desire for the latest tech (for example; gearshift assist, TFT, hill start assist) then give the Camhead a shot. The Camheads are less powerful and more susceptible to high temperatures, but not to the degree that it will be an issue to most riders. I've owned a Hexhead RT, a Wethead GSA and now a Shifthead GSA and all have been good bikes, but I would jump at the opportunity of a low mileage Camhead were I in the market.

Back in 2016, I traded a 2012 camhead GS for a 2016 wethead RT (it was a demo at a good price). Regardless of the two different stated purposes of these bikes and fancy electronics that are included with the later model, (I really liked the 2012 BTW), My preference is for the 2016 boxer.

The Camhead bikes are very well sorted out machines. The issues of the Hexheads seem to be resolve and they also benefit from having just enough technology. They are easy to maintain, do not require valve adjustment very often (nor do the wethead 1200s or 1250s) and are reliable. If you don't have a great desire for the latest tech (for example; gearshift assist, TFT, hill start assist) then give the Camhead a shot. The Camheads are less powerful and more susceptible to high temperatures, but not to the degree that it will be an issue to most riders. I've owned a Hexhead RT, a Wethead GSA and now a Shifthead GSA and all have been good bikes, but I would jump at the opportunity of a low mileage Camhead were I in the market.

I rode the Camhead 12GS for a few years, sold it and bought a 16RS. Great bike, but when I wanted a second motor, I purposely shopped and found another Camhead in the 11RT. It had 16K miles on it just 18 months ago. Now it's got 35K on her and runs like a champ

Though the 16RS motor is superb and does seem to have more juice available, I ride the RT quite a bit more. I just like the Camheads, they are well sorted motors.

I had a 2005 Hexhead R1200RT before moving to my 2016 Wethead R1200RT. I've ridden a friend's camhead RT a couple of times and have an R Nine T with the camhead engine.

The wethead RT is a little heavier (because of the cooling system, among other things) than the Camhead RT, but IMO it is easier to ride and feels a bit less top heavy. The wethead riding position is slightly forward where the older position is more straight up (like a GS). Try https://cycle-ergo.com/ to compare riding position. [Cycle ergo has the hexhead RT at 0 degrees forward lean and the camhead RT at 2 degrees forward lean. Given that the bike underneath is the same, I can tell you that my personal feel is that the wethead feels like you're bending slightly more at the hips vs the headhead/camhead.]

Both bikes are nice and the engines feel different, so I would suggest you ride a wethead for a day to see if you like it. You might try something like RiderShare and rent one for a day to get a couple hours on the bike.

I like my Wethead RT and my (Camhead) R Nine T, so IMO you really cant go wrong with either version of the RT.

I've had an 09 Hexhead, a 2010 Camhead and now a 2015 Wethead. All have been good bikes with an improvement for me at each step. The 2015 handles better and has more power. I noticed that 90 degree corners that required second gear in the camhead can be done in third gear on the wethead. I can't tell a difference in gas mileage. I do like the slightly reduced maintainence on the wethead, no gearbox oil and no throttle body adjustments. I like the wet clutch.

I do like some of the technology on the new bikes, shift assist, hill hold, better ESA and ABS.

If I was still riding my Camhead I'd be happy, but I do like some of the things on the new bikes.

I've had an 09 Hexhead, a 2010 Camhead and now a 2015 Wethead. All have been good bikes with an improvement for me at each step. The 2015 handles better and has more power. I noticed that 90 degree corners that required second gear in the camhead can be done in third gear on the wethead. I can't tell a difference in gas mileage. I do like the slightly reduced maintainence on the wethead, no gearbox oil and no throttle body adjustments. I like the wet clutch.

I do like some of the technology on the new bikes, shift assist, hill hold, better ESA and ABS.

If I was still riding my Camhead I'd be happy, but I do like some of the things on the new bikes.

Interesting, I keep the rpms on the 16RS and 11RT no less than 3000. At what speeds are you taking 90 degree corners in 3rd gear with your wethead?

Interesting, I keep the rpms on the 16RS and 11RT no less than 3000. At what speeds are you taking 90 degree corners in 3rd gear with your wethead?

Depends on the radius, right?

K12LTS is probably referring to a specifc corner(s) that he rides.

Depends on the radius, right?

K12LTS is probably referring to a specifc corner(s) that he rides.

I'd think so. My idea of a 90 degree "corner" isn't a sweeper that ends up being 90 degrees. I'd imagined taking a left at the traffic light that was green onto a perpendicular street, that's a 90 degree.

The turns I'm thinking of are 90 on a couple local state highways I ride, they are not at intersections. The road was built back in horse and buggy days and thankfully hasn't been straightened out. It's a curvy two lane road with a few 90 degree corners that I ride at a spirited pace. Im not looking at the speedometer but rpms seldom get below 3000. I don't think I ride the wet head faster, it just pulls better in that situation.

The turns I'm thinking of are 90 on a couple local state highways I ride, they are not at intersections. The road was built back in horse and buggy days and thankfully hasn't been straightened out. It's a curvy two lane road with a few 90 degree corners that I ride at a spirited pace. Im not looking at the speedometer but rpms seldom get below 3000. I don't think I ride the wet head faster, it just pulls better in that situation.

10-4, thanks

Back