• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 GS Rev Limited at 4000 RPM... Help...

pianomanla

Hello all!

My son and I were out riding yesterday afternoon and midway through the ride, his ‘14 GS would no longer allow him to rev beyond 4000rpm. After lunch, his check engine light and service indicator came on and that is when the hardline rev limit started. This bike is new to us, with just over 13k miles on the clock and a pretty good service history, but as the low miles for the age show, it wasn’t ridden much. (I ride a ‘15 RT that I bought new and it has close to 60k miles on it).

Is there anything I can check today, as the dealer is closed until tomorrow, or is this a “have to bring it to the dealership” sort of issue?

Thanks in advance!

Is it the original battery? Did this occur after a start that was a bit different than usual?
OM

I think you are right... but why...? The start yesterday was fine. Saturday evening, first start in a few weeks of sitting on the side stand, there was some grey smoke from the exhaust, other than that, nothing out of the ordinary.

The bike may be in Emergency Operation Mode (Limp Mode)

Thanks for the link! But I think there issue is different from ours. My son rode the bike home over 100 miles and everything is fine, as long as the rpm's are less than 4000. 4000rpm, in any gear produces the same "stuttering" that I would normally associate with hitting the redline limit.

Thanks for the comments... any other ideas? Am I asking the right questions, or is there additional information that might be helpful?

Update: Camshaft sensor failed

Hello all...

The report from the shop is that it is a failed Camshaft Sensor. Not sure if that means something else as a deeper issue, or if it was indeed just the sensor. Anyone else have this issue?

Back