• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Close call doing 65

havasu

Picked this 2015 RT up 3 weeks ago from a guy near Dayton, retired air force pilot we’ll call Jake. R1200RT.jpg
Came with Nav V, the top case, BMW liners in the panniers, all maintenance done on time, just needed tires and was ok with that. We agree to full price if he delivered. Several days later he calls with a cool option, he and a buddy fly there plane to Carrollton airport, pick me up and fly back. I load up on my new to me 1200RT and head home. Very cool but the weather did not cooperate at all so they trailered it over.
This past Sunday I’m in Columbus OH on E. bound 270 doing traffic speed of 65 in the middle lane in somewhat heavy traffic when under the car in front I see a large chunk of wood I think was a 4x4 about 24” long. So in that split second I stand up on the pegs and lean forward eyeing the damn piece of wood. Bamm, hit it hard, see a piece of metal sliding to my right knowing it’s part of the rim. I turn my head to the right and see cars slowing just enough and get to the right lane with an exit several hundred feet ahead. By the time I made it to the end of the off ramp the tire is flat and hard to operate so park in the grass.
It’s now 1500 and made it back home at 2100 with the help of a super cool GS owner. Get off to inspect for damage to find this part of the wheel missing.
Tire.jpg
Crap, now what? I live 120 miles away and don’t know anyone in Columbus. I just signed up for the Platinum with towing service on Friday so called the number and to my surprise get an answering machine, WTH, $110 for this. Get the AAA card which I’ve been a member for over 20 years and find out I don’t have the RV rider which also covers motorcycles. OK, sign me up. Nope, 7 day waiting period. WTH. So you’re not going to help? Sorry sir we can’t. OK, go back to the bike and dig for the insurance card and at that time I find the 3-year warranty card. Hmm I call and speak with Beth who was super nice. Updated the status of the bike to my name and found me a tow truck that would deliver to the nearest dealer which was MOTOHIO about 17 miles away. Here’s a crazy coincidence, I just came from Iron Pony, a very large bike shop and one of my purchases happened to be some tie down straps. Good thing too, the tow truck driver didn’t have any. Pulled the owner’s manual and showed the tie down points with him. Put the bike on the center stand, strapped it down and away we go.
Strapped down.jpg
We arrive at MOTOHIO about 1630, off load and the driver leaves. Now what? I think for several minutes and decide to call the previous owner Jake, not for help but advice. No he doesn’t have the number for anyone at MOTOHIO and oh, it’s also closed on Monday. Geezz what else can go wrong? We chat for several minutes and hang up. I turn around and see a Comfort Inn 2 blocks away and start thinking if I stay there I can get the bike checked in Tuesday and the phone rings and it’s Jake, hey you have the tank bag with the books, yeah, look for the anonymous book. Fantastic idea. First call I was lucky to find the super cool GS owner. We chat for several minutes, tell my story and ask if he could help out. He showed up 45 minutes later with truck and trailer and after another request we load up and start heading to my house. So super cool GS owner is willing to take time from his Sunday afternoon and help a fellow BMW owner. Again super cool guy has been to Alaska and Canada many times and told stories the whole ride home. I filled his tank when we left Columbus and again in my town before leaving along with numerous 20’s. That’s it for the story. I’ve been going thru what if’s since and how I would change things. What have your guys done to get out of a situation?

Good being persistent, and a fine ending.

You were lucky to stay upright with that damaged rim!

Close indeed

Bummer that it happened, but all things considered, you came out of it pretty well. Not injured and the bike in one piece. I think you probably used one of your nine lives.

I'm glad you are safe, that had to be an instant lose of tire pressure.

You are also lucky you didn't lose your bike while being transported. Putting it on the center stand is a NO-NO. It can roll off, see page 93 of the manual it says don't place on side or center stand. When I work on the bike I always tie off the center stand to avoid it from collapsing. Very disappointing to have a MOA dispatched tow truck not know this, I guess the first sign was no tie downs...

The anonymous book is a life saver what a great benefit of being a MOA member. Again glad it worked out and I hope you get that wheel changed out soon.

See you down the rode

Jay

Almost happened to me one time so I try very hard to not follow so close I won't have time to dodge those surprises in the future! Glad you came out so well all things considered.

I'm glad you are safe, that had to be an instant lose of tire pressure.

You are also lucky you didn't lose your bike while being transported. Putting it on the center stand is a NO-NO. It can roll off, see page 93 of the manual it says don't place on side or center stand. When I work on the bike I always tie off the center stand to avoid it from collapsing. Very disappointing to have a MOA dispatched tow truck not know this, I guess the first sign was no tie downs...

The anonymous book is a life saver what a great benefit of being a MOA member. Again glad it worked out and I hope you get that wheel changed out soon.

See you down the rode

Jay

Looked in the owners manual and on page 101, "do not place on side stand or center stand." I'll remember that one. Thanks

Called State Farm on Monday, Mathias BMW just picked it up. I did notice the rear wheel was also damaged. At least I have the DL650 this weekend.

Looked in the owners manual and on page 101, "do not place on side stand or center stand." I'll remember that one. Thanks

Sorry about the page difference seem BMW has produced different versions.

Jay

Attachments

• Manual.jpg
    Manual.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 489
Great story, freaky accident, super scary, fantastic ending.
Don't you just love motorcycle riders - were not like the rest of the population.

State Farm has issued the go ahead for repairs to the tune of $3K and change. Both wheels were damaged and the rubber gets replaced as well. Those tires had less than 500 miles on them. Good news all around. I'm planning a road trip to northern Wisconsin at the end of this month. :dance

OP, glad to hear you weren't hurt in any way. Road hazards are terrible things to be surprised with, IMO.

As for what I would've done, I went with the BMWMOA Gold plan. Towing, tire replacement, etc. Hopefully the plan would cover this sort of fiasco were I to ever encounter one (I hope not!).

As for what I would've done, I went with the BMWMOA Gold plan. Towing, tire replacement, etc. Hopefully the plan would cover this sort of fiasco were I to ever encounter one (I hope not!).

I think the Tire Plan has a $250 reimbursment limit.

Whoa....happy for ya in more ways than one.
Good thing you pre-insured it. Looks like you came out ahead ;)

Back