• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2006 police rtp

woody99

Hi: I WAS WONDERING HOW THE POLICE BIKES ARE DIFFERENT FROM A REGULAR RT, BESIDES THE NORMAL POLICE EQUIPMENT. IS THE FRAME AND MOUNTING POINTS FOR ALL THE EXTRA EQUIPMENT ON A REGULAR RT? HOW EASY WOULD IT BE TO CHANGE IT TO A REGULAR RT? ANY IDEAS/ THANKS WOODY

Hi: I WAS WONDERING HOW THE POLICE BIKES ARE DIFFERENT FROM A REGULAR RT, BESIDES THE NORMAL POLICE EQUIPMENT. IS THE FRAME AND MOUNTING POINTS FOR ALL THE EXTRA EQUIPMENT ON A REGULAR RT? HOW EASY WOULD IT BE TO CHANGE IT TO A REGULAR RT? ANY IDEAS/ THANKS WOODY

Hi Woody. I suggest you use the search function for the post archives because this has been discussed many times. The police lights are mounted in places that there are no lights on the civilian models, so, in a word, no, the mounting points for the extra equipment don't usually have something mounted there on a civilian RT.

By changing it to a regular RT do you mean removing all police wiring that's possible to remove, along with the extra battery, or do you just mean give it a passenger seat? People that have done it, say it takes about thousand bucks to buy all the stuff you need to make it a civilian bike, and it's not always easy finding the items on eBay. I also believe the police bikes use a different type of saddle bags, they're not the same as civilian ones, and I don't know if the attachment points and hardware are the same. I believe not.

Unless you're getting a really hot deal on a RT-P, it's usually less expensive to just buy a nice regular RT than converting a RT-P to a RT. Plus, the fact that most RT-Ps will need some mechanical attention, so you either have to be willing and able to do what's required, or pay someone to do it, and of course, factor that into the price.

Back