• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2006 K1200GT - Engine Heat..?

tlangman4

Hi All-

I have owned two K100LTs (bricks) in the past, and had significant issues with engine heat. I sold both due to that issue. I am currently contemplating the purchase a 2006 K1200GT (transverse), and am a bit concerned whether this model also has similar heat issues.

I appreciate any feedback regarding engine heat or any other potential issues regarding this year and model.

Thank you!

Tom

My 07GT is the same as that 06. I never noticed an unusual amount of heat coming off the motor and I would ride it in 110=112F weather here in Az. My brother has it now, he's not mentioned any issues with engine heat either.

My 07GT is the same as that 06. I never noticed an unusual amount of heat coming off the motor and I would ride it in 110=112F weather here in Az. My brother has it now, he's not mentioned any issues with engine heat either.

Thanks for the feedback, I was hoping that was the case! The engine heat on both of my K100s was incredible. An otherwise nice bike that was simply unridable once the temp was over 75. The transverse 4 K1200 seems very nice, but I do not want to relive the same experience again.

Any major concerns with this model that you would be willing to share?

Thanks for the feedback, I was hoping that was the case! The engine heat on both of my K100s was incredible. An otherwise nice bike that was simply unridable once the temp was over 75. The transverse 4 K1200 seems very nice, but I do not want to relive the same experience again.

Any major concerns with this model that you would be willing to share?

Nothing that stands out. Regular maintenance per schedule of course.
No schedule on final drive fluid being changed, but it's advisable to do so
On the 06 first half of year, servo brakes is what I've seen, second half year they went with what I refer to as normal abs, some people have had issues with the ignition ring wires breaking.

My brothers 07 had been worked on before I bought it apparently, and the 06 supposedly suffered from the same often enough. His 07 wires to make the ews connection with the key failed two years ago on a trip with me. We got it sorted on the road once he spoke to his mechanic. Fairly easy fix even on the road getting to those wires.

Hope that helps some

RE: the K100s - In some cases, it's not really "engine" heat, but FUEL heat. Add a little oil cooler (or auto tranny cooler) in the line that returns the unused fuel back to the tank.

Back