• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2000 R100 RS correct transmission fluid

ksdcr

Tried to search this information, but could not find it.

BMW has several different fluids, for their various transmissions. I’m trying to find out what might be the best one to use, on my R1100 RS, which has about 96K miles. Transmission is operating fine, but fluid is due for a change.

Looking for recommendations for the best, correct fluid, for th etransmission.

I have a 94 R1100RS with the original transmission. I have used valvolene or castrol 80W 90 non-synthetic transmission oil with a dollop of dow gear guard M (molybdenum disulfide) and at other times synthetic (usually royal purple or valvolene) 75w 140 transmission oil. Both with good success. I have never gone over 5k miles between transmission oil changes (usually closer to 3k miles).

The 1100s and 1150s really are not too particular about the transmission oil, as long as it's "in spec" and a quality brand. (The poor shifting of some trannies is a factory set-up problem, not the oil.)
Just about any 75W-90 or 80W-90 that is specifically rated GL-5 should be fine.
Ditto for the 75W-140 synthetics.

There are several related past posts where members have discussed different results with different oils, such as "less noisy", "shifts better when cold", or "shifts better when hot"... your mileage may vary....

My personal preference is the Bel-Ray stuff, especially when Cycle Gear sends me a discount coupon.

The place where you need to be careful is the rear drive - NO 75-140 in there, use ONLY 75W-90 or 80W-90 in those rear housings.

I also use a little Dow-Corning Gear Guard in both places, but it makes the oil look dirty before it really is.

Changing the tranny oil at 6,000 miles or less is extravagant.... the factory-recommended interval is 12,000 miles.

Thanks guys,

I may have seen something about the issue with rear drive oils, and mistook it for the transmission oils. At any rate, my bike has about 20,000 miles on the current oil, so definitely time.

I’ve used synthetic Liqui Moly 75w-90 or Mobil 1 75w-90. I don’t think I ever went over 12k between changes. I just turned over 100k on the mileage and both transmission and final drive have had no issues. If you go to the track, I’d recommend changing the transmission fluid at 6k… final drive could have stayed in there longer. I’ve had my bike for 24 years.

https://www.beemerboneyard.com/r1100supmaintkit1550.html

I'd suggest not using in your transmission any gear oil labeled "limited slip" even if your FLAPS says they are universal. Their goal is to save shelf space.

I wouldn't use it in the rear drive either.

Back