• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1150R Tankbags

2popfire

UpstateJoe
Greetings All,
My name is Joe Murray and I'm a first time BMW owner having recently purchased an 04" 1150R. Although I've been riding for nearly 30 years this is BMW 101 for me! I have joined the MOA, #118486, and I am loving my new bike!!
I am posting to ask advice on tankbags. What is the best fit for the tank on my 1150R? I use my tankbag constantly, it seldom comes off except for refueling. However the Eclipse Sport which I have used on the Concours for many years is a poor fit on the sloping BMW tank. Thanks for your suggestions.
Joe

joe,

welcome!

i've got an 02 r1150ra, and i use a magnetic bag from marsee. i think it's 11l. it's got a clear map window on top, and looks ok on the bike for my tastes. i dont leave it on all the time as the magnets are really strong and make the paint look funny. it's been explained elsewhere, but i just take it off when i get home.

marsee sells that 'tear drop' model, and i dont know how good or bad it looks. how far 'upstate' are you? you might have a couple of good shops near you where you can see a large selection of bags. good excuse for a ride. ;)

i dont have any really good photos of it, but here are a few lousy ones.

rounder_01.jpg

rounder_20.jpg

rounder_81.jpg

leakey_02_49.jpg

greg_13.jpg

sorry, none that are much better.

I have a R1150R '02 and have a non magnetic Marsee bag. Overall I am very happy with the bag. I commute daily with it and have taken extended trips to both coasts. I recommend the magnetic bag over the non. I used a friends and it stays in place better on the r50r' tear drop tank.

I too have the smaller magnetic Marsee on my 2003 R1150R and am VERY happy with it. Stays put, looks good and is easy to just lift up and put on the bars for re-fueling. Has about 30K miles on it and still looks good. :clap

Another Upstate New York R1150R Rider

2popfire said:
Greetings All,
My name is Joe Murray and I'm a first time BMW owner having recently purchased an 04" 1150R. Although I've been riding for nearly 30 years this is BMW 101 for me! I have joined the MOA, #118486, and I am loving my new bike!!
I am posting to ask advice on tankbags. What is the best fit for the tank on my 1150R? I use my tankbag constantly, it seldom comes off except for refueling. However the Eclipse Sport which I have used on the Concours for many years is a poor fit on the sloping BMW tank. Thanks for your suggestions.
Joe

Joe, my name is Dan Sullivan. I just purchased an 04 R1150RA. I live near Ithaca. What part of "upstate" are you in?

Marsee Too

I've got a Rockster (essentially the same bike as the 1150R Roadster) and use a Marsee tear drop magnetic bag (I think it's 15, or 20L). I'm into my third year and have been quite happy with it. The tear drop fits the shape of the tank quite well. The underside has never bothered the paint on the tank, but then again I've got matte black paint.

BMW Tankbag is alright

I picked one up about a 1.5 months ago, and it works well enough; for the price I think I was expecting a happy ending (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). It fits the bike well enough though, so I can't really complain.

I've got the same Marsee as the one in USERNAME's pictures on my '03 1150R. Works great, although refueling takes a bit of work. I remove the bag when I get home, but it's great on extended trips, stays put really well. Gives you something to tuck behind on those cold or windy days too ;)

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions

Thanks one and all. Looks like its a Marsee, though I have not ruled out a Big Mak. Has anyone tried a Marsee Carona?
Joe

consider this....

I think the Big Mak hinged bags are the best thing for modern BMW motorcycles. I wish I had one and regret buying the BMW bag for my R1100R. See more here - Cycle Gadgets

I have the Big Mak on my R1150R. I have the tank bag as well as the (about) 1 inch thick top bag or mapcase. When the main bag is off, the map case slips right on. I like it! It works well for me.

Hard to beat the Big Mak

I've tried quite a few (though not the Marsee Corona Bag) and I have to say the mounting system of the Big Mak seems to be unbeatable to me. The Marsee Corona looks likes a good idea too, but if I understand correctly, when you fill up at the gas station you remove the bag and then perch it on your seat or somewhere else. That sounds like a recipe for my knocking it to the ground or leaving it someplace. With the Big Mak you flip it up to fill, then flip it back down when you're done. Nothing could be quicker and the bag and it's contents reamains securely attached and out of the way.

The Big Mac website is a little difficult to understand, but there are a lot of different combinations of bag and mapcase/electronics cases etc. to choose from. Best thing to do is call and talk to Mark, the owner, about what you're looking for.

The mounting system makes the Big Mak an easy bag to electrify so you can charge cellphones, iPod , portable Sirius Satellite radio, headhone amp or whatever you like. Powerlet parts do this effectively. Again though, if you electrify the bag, it's less of pain to flip it up than to have to detach the bag and unplug the power in order to pump gas.

When you need to, it's just as easy (if not easier) to detach the Big Mak. If I'm going to park the bike and let it out of my sight, my bag and the expensive electronics get stowed inside my side bag. It fits (barely) in my BMW sidebag with city lid. Takes less than 30 seconds.

Back