• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1% ers are Idiots

Well, I'd like folks that don't ride with helmets excluded from my insurance group so my rates aren't affected (increased) by their presence.

If AMA is repsonsible for the fact they're not, I'm not for it.

I'm for mandatory helmets.
I'm for ATGATT
I think all motorcycles should have front brakes. Good ones.
Motorcycling to me isn't about making noise.
I'm against off-road riding on public lands, i.e. riding not on established roads.
I would have liked to watch the Daytona 200 on TV.

So, what is AMA doing for me again?

All good points. Can't argue with any of them.

I'll say this though.....

Two summers ago we were coming up I-75 south of Atlanta and I was leading a mixed group of motorcycles. I saw headlights coming up in another lane and they slowly passed us. There were 4 of them and they were definitely an "outlaw" club and not just posers. But I noticed the leader gave hand signals to the group to change lanes EVERY time they did and the tail would change lanes first. As they were not hauling a** they were in sight for quite some time. On the other hand a group sport bike riders (the kind with shorts, t-shirt, flip flops and a $500 full face helmet) came up and were zig zagging in and out of traffic and between cars. I actually wanted them to cut through the group of 1%ers.

Oh and the reason I think the 1%ers were not hauling ass was for a reason called "probable cause".

I find it hard to get excited about the group riding style of the V twin cruiser crowd. Can't recall being passed by any when I was on anything over 125 cc- its always the other way around. I'm not bashful about picking my way through a long train of side by sides when needed- generally keeping it to marked passing zones. Doesn't cause problems- they seem used to it. I'm just glad I don't wrestle one of those things in our mountains- that's not only slow- its way too much work. The folks riding those things are normally decent folks- just "machine challenged"...

And I'm perfectly happy to share a lane and wave by the squids trying to set a new best on the Dragon on the rare times I pass that way.

Well, I'd like folks that don't ride with helmets excluded from my insurance group so my rates aren't affected (increased) by their presence.

I'm for ATGATT
I'm against off-road riding on public lands, i.e. riding not on established roads.

Is that why I could not find it anywhere in the guide? (Daytona 200) Why was that?

I had a few of these types following me too closely one time as I was nearing the outskirts of some town I can't remember the name of. This was years ago.
What I did was slow down and, of course, they got pissed off and hammered the throttle as they pulled out to pass me.
Sure enough, there was a cop with a radar gun trained on them and they were pulled over and ticketed.
I continued on my merry way, smiling quietly to myself.
Hilarious!

I'm for ATGATT

My opinion on your other points doesn't matter , but I do agree the AMA isn't what it used to be.

And why was the Daytona 200 [not] on TV ? :scratch first time in a long that it was not. I looked carefully & could not find it, so I'm assuming it was not broadcast ?

If I remember correctly it was the AMA that coined the term 1%er in the 1960's.

I try to ride in such a way that I am able (most of the time) to distance myself from groups of riders (Cruisers & Sport bikes almost exclusively). For the most part because in my "elitist" mind I don't want to be seen as a part of their group.(they probably feel the same about me). It seems that the larger the contingent the crazier the riding gets.

Every time that I see a group (or individual) exhibiting dangerous or annoying behavior while on a bike I think of how this angers so many people and reduces the "respect" that the public has for those who ride motorcycles.

I fear that the loss of this respect may play a part in car vs motorcycle crashes.

If I remember correctly it was the AMA that coined the term 1%er in the 1960's.

I try to ride in such a way that I am able (most of the time) to distance myself from groups of riders (Cruisers & Sport bikes almost exclusively). For the most part because in my "elitist" mind I don't want to be seen as a part of their group.(they probably feel the same about me). It seems that the larger the contingent the crazier the riding gets.

Every time that I see a group (or individual) exhibiting dangerous or annoying behavior while on a bike I think of how this angers so many people and reduces the "respect" that the public has for those who ride motorcycles.

I fear that the loss of this respect may play a part in car vs motorcycle crashes.

I tend to agree, which is why I avoid the larger 'popular' rallies , Sturgis, Americade, Bike week, etc. I have checked a few out, but they're not for me. I of course have done MOA & RA, Honda Hoot..etc. For the most part I must have picked the right area @ the right time, as I haven't stumbled on any larger groups in my travels. I did once [due to out running a storm] happen upon a Moto-Guzzi bunch @ a motel one evening....but they were a great bunch....treated me like a long lost cousin....:thumb

Slow pokes

After reading through this thread, I have come to the conclusion that some of you are riding too slowly. I can count the number of times I have been passed on my motorcycle on one hand.

Close, but not exact. It was the Associated Press after whatever it was that happened in Hollister, CA in 1947.

And what happened was blown way outta proportion, and most of the pictures posed. As told to me by two of my dads Army buddies that were there. And later reported in various M/C mags.

Hummmm wasn't the term 'Flying Saucer' also coined in 1947 after the so-called sighting in the Cascade mountains ???

Pretty sure the term originated with my 9th grade Geometry teacher. She used to tell me to sit in the back of the classroom with "the rest of the 1%ers" and keep my mouth shut. I always thought it was a complement. :scratch

And what happened was blown way outta proportion, and most of the pictures posed. As told to me by two of my dads Army buddies that were there. And later reported in various M/C mags.

Hummmm wasn't the term 'Flying Saucer' also coined in 1947 after the so-called sighting in the Cascade mountains ???

I think both terms were sightings of the same 1%'er's

Back