• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1% ers are Idiots

gfspencer

Yesterday was a nice day (finally) so I decided to go for a ride. I took some two-lane roads to Lexington, NC to pick up some BBQ.

On the way home I was doing between 60 and 65 on a long, straight, two-lane stretch of Hwy 49. That's pretty much the "average" speed for that section of highway. I looked in my rear view mirrors and saw some 1% ers gaining on me. It wasn't a big deal. I was just going to let them pass and be on their way.

About the time they were getting close we came into the little town of Phifer. The speed limit there is 45 and the local police enforce the speed limit so I slowed down. That particular section of highway is two-lane with a double yellow line. That didn't stop the ass hats on their Harleys. They were passing me on my left and on my right in one lane. In other words we were ridding three wide in one lane of traffic doing 45 to 50 miles per hour. The first guy who passed me on the left surprised me and I almost steered to the right but I caught a glimpse of another bike passing me on the right.

Stupid motorcycle riders don't help any of us.

Last edited:
HEY pay attention, they are BAD A$$, and entitled to do anything they want too. Unless of course you want to tell them otherwise. :brow

Rude people, regardless of what or even if they ride upset me.

Stick to the back twisty stuff, they hate to ride there, they have the wrong tool for those roads.

Just remember that in any confrontation with them: they will likely be in a group and respond as a group; their peer pressure urges them to react in the exact opposite manner as your values tell you to behave; kicking your butt and getting arrested will be a badge of honor and probably not their first trip to jail; if you were to win a fight with them and get arrested it would probably be a life changing event for you, and not a good one; they are probably armed. Very unlikely that a confrontation will end well for you no matter how tough and well armed you are. Let them go or run away.

Glad it didn't end nasty. Sad that that (and the NY thing) is the impression so many non-bikers have of us. The one organization that supports bikers also endorses noise, no helmets and turning more open land into motorized playgrounds. We get those herds of HD's here, something about pack mentality. I don't get it.

Glad it didn't end nasty. Sad that that (and the NY thing) is the impression so many non-bikers have of us. The one organization that supports bikers also endorses noise, no helmets and turning more open land into motorized playgrounds. We get those herds of HD's here, something about pack mentality. I don't get it.

Your perception of the AMA is a bit skewed. Read their position statements: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/positionstatements

They have spoken against excessive noise for decades. They have lobbied for the right to choose wearing helmets, but have always stated that riders should choose to do so. They have fought to keep riding land open for all activities and that due process be followed when government entities make decisions regarding said land.

Your perception of the AMA is a bit skewed. Read their position statements: http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/rights/positionstatements

They have spoken against excessive noise for decades. They have lobbied for the right to choose wearing helmets, but have always stated that riders should choose to do so. They have fought to keep riding land open for all activities and that due process be followed when government entities make decisions regarding said land.

With all the respect I can afford the AMA spin - for decades the have said they don't approve of noise but have not lobbied anybody for effective noise regulation and have fought most feeble efforts at the federal or local levels. We know that Junior High School type peer pressure has folks who ride a certain style/brand of motorcycle claiming that helmets are harmful, hurt necks, block vision etc, and unless a law requires it they "ain't gonna wear no helmet". The one I love the most is that with a helmet they can't hear surrounding traffic. But their straight pipes don't have anything to do with hearing.

Frankly I gave up years ago caring if folks wear helmets or not - as long as they are at least 21 years old, have health insurance, have insurance for their lifelong nursing home care, and enough resources to get themselves buried. But on the noise issue I care. When they come in packs going past our house I can often hear them coming a mile away, and hear them as they go bleating away from as far as three miles. And when I see a little kid wince and cover his/her ears as I go to start my quiet motorcycle I want to scream obscenities at the fools.

Just remember that in any confrontation with them: they will likely be in a group and respond as a group; their peer pressure urges them to react in the exact opposite manner as your values tell you to behave; kicking your butt and getting arrested will be a badge of honor and probably not their first trip to jail; if you were to win a fight with them and get arrested it would probably be a life changing event for you, and not a good one; they are probably armed. Very unlikely that a confrontation will end well for you no matter how tough and well armed you are. Let them go or run away.

Amen to that. I just let them go. :wave It was one against six or seven and there was no way that I was going to come out ahead.

Just for clarification, I don't think all Harley riders are bad. I've got some good friends who ride Harleys. I just hate the ones who want to be bad a$$.

The whole thing still gives me pause. What if I had been a new rider and veered to the right when the a$$ hat passed me on the left IN MY LANE? It would have been a mess because these guys ride in a tight group with no room to maneuver. If I had hit the guy coming up on the right the guys behind us would have been dropping like dominos.

With all the respect I can afford the AMA spin - for decades the have said they don't approve of noise but have not lobbied anybody for effective noise regulation and have fought most feeble efforts at the federal or local levels. We know that Junior High School type peer pressure has folks who ride a certain style/brand of motorcycle claiming that helmets are harmful, hurt necks, block vision etc, and unless a law requires it they "ain't gonna wear no helmet". The one I love the most is that with a helmet they can't hear surrounding traffic. But their straight pipes don't have anything to do with hearing.

Frankly I gave up years ago caring if folks wear helmets or not - as long as they are at least 21 years old, have health insurance, have insurance for their lifelong nursing home care, and enough resources to get themselves buried. But on the noise issue I care. When they come in packs going past our house I can often hear them coming a mile away, and hear them as they go bleating away from as far as three miles. And when I see a little kid wince and cover his/her ears as I go to start my quiet motorcycle I want to scream obscenities at the fools.

Paul, I agree with you on all counts. I choose to wear a helmet and try to ride quiet bikes avoiding modifications to exhaust systems. I cringe when kids cover their ears when I get ready to crank any of my bikes because I'm not one of the noisy ones. What other riders wear doesn't concern me, but their noise does.

However, despite all the flaws of the AMA they have lobbied for a standardized test that can be implemented in the field by LEOs to be law at state level. It would eliminate the inconsistency of current noise enforcement and give LEOs a tool for enforcement. I think it's an effort that has merit. I too, am tired of straight pipes on cruisers and loud performance exhausts on sportbikes. They are far too numerous.

Roger,
Knoxville, TN
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its far more than 1%, in fact, far more than 10% or multiples of it.

I can never figure out the need to tail-gate when the opposing lane is free for as far as the eye can see, yet I get those kind of inbreds behind my car or motorcycle.

The average driver isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

I ride with 1% guys on my BMW

I can never figure out the need to tail-gate when the opposing lane is free for as far as the eye can see, yet I get those kind of inbreds behind my car or motorcycle.

Just to clarify, the 1% or want to be's are having to play a role for the life style. Get them one on one they are great dedicated riders. But always remember when confronting a member wearing his CUT, ie vest. They have a strict code of behavior. If you give respect you will get it. Do they ride like idiots yes, do they violate every safety rule BMW riders follow, yes. But smile be respectful and understand BMW riders are normally better off financially. We are more educated than them, use your brain and just be respectful to the club.

I ride with two 1% clubs as a friend not a member. They really respect BMW riders because they understand our passion and hours behind the handle bars.

I thought the 1%'ers were the "evil" people the occupiers were against and the regime wanted to rob. :scratch:whistle:confused::rolleyes

... The one I love the most is that with a helmet they can't hear surrounding traffic. But their straight pipes don't have anything to do with hearing.

OK, I have a severe hearing loss in both ears. If I don't have my hearing aids in I'm basically deaf. I usually ride without the hearing aids and with ear plugs so I hear very little while riding. Last week I was riding my RS when a guy on a Harley passed me that was so loud it was deafening to me, almost painful, even with ear plugs. I can't imagine how anyone could ride anything so loud. He was wearing a T shirt, jeans, and tennis shoes...ape-hangers, no helmet, no eye protection (which is required in AZ). Go figure...

it's not only the 1% ers. Saturday I was coming home from a day ride in the mtns. of north Ga. I was at the front of the line, stopped for a red light on a two lane highway just outside of Cleveland. A group of 7 or 8 riders on crotch rockets were behind me with a 3 or 4 cars between myself and them. Just as the light changed to green, they all pulled around the cars from both the left and right and sped up to somewhere between 80-100. The lead rider pops a wheelie and proceeds to ride down the highway on one wheel until he got out of my sight. He stayed in his lane, but traffic coming the opposite way pulled over to the shoulder and stopped or slowed down to a crawl. They were all bunched up so close that if the guy doing the wheelie had wiped out he would taken most of his buds out with him. I doubt the drivers in those cars were impressed with the wheelie.

+1

BTW I just received some merchandise I purchased from Alaska Leather and it included a bumper sticker that said "Tailgaters Suck" :laugh

it's not only the 1% ers. Saturday I was coming home from a day ride in the mtns. of north Ga. I was at the front of the line, stopped for a red light on a two lane highway just outside of Cleveland. A group of 7 or 8 riders on crotch rockets were behind me with a 3 or 4 cars between myself and them. Just as the light changed to green, they all pulled around the cars from both the left and right and sped up to somewhere between 80-100. The lead rider pops a wheelie and proceeds to ride down the highway on one wheel until he got out of my sight. He stayed in his lane, but traffic coming the opposite way pulled over to the shoulder and stopped or slowed down to a crawl. They were all bunched up so close that if the guy doing the wheelie had wiped out he would taken most of his buds out with him. I doubt the drivers in those cars were impressed with the wheelie.

Those riders are jerks too.

Several years ago on I-485 around Charlotte some "riders" were blocking the the north bound lane so that their buddies could do wheelies, stand on tanks, and do other stunts. (I saw them but I was going south.) When I got home that evening I heard on the news that one of the "riders" did a wheelie, lost control, and went into the guard rail. As a result, one less person is doing wheelies now.

Gee whiz, now I find out that I'm the better educated, financially secure MC rider.:scratch
While I don't "like" loud pipes(I hate em!),nor do I see any logic to not wearing safety gear,especially on your head, I do find it condescending to say the least, to say the rider of a certain brand MC is the one that's better educated & with more money-please count me out of your high end thoughts! If it's true "it isn't the part that matters"! in a discussion about whats right or wrong or in best judgement.
Please, spare me the marketing survey results that point me in that direction just because I like the BMW brand.
Got another guy on ADV that said he bought a beemer cause he figured we can spell better? Go figure on that one...:dunno
I vote for somewhere between 7-10%. (just a WAG guess)

Got another guy on ADV that said he bought a beemer cause he figured we can spell better?

Well the internet is good for something; you can always tell if the person went to school or not.

People don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" or "would have" and "would of" (the latter which does not even exist).

ADV? Hell there is a silly Li-Ion battery thread going on how many hundreds of pages. :rolleyes It has now beat any oil thread. :laugh

WOW !! This OP is a good way to make the BMW MOA a target.
Unfortunately riding a motorcycle has you living in their 1% world.
They make and enforce the rules. The OP should of left it at 1%er club and NOT named the club.
Respect will get you Respect..... Disrespect will get you tuned up.
I know a lot of riders don't know protocol , but a post like this can endanger anyone wearing a BMW MOA patch,
hat or T shirt if this gets back to them. I've been around this lifestyle for a long long time, I'm not taking sides on this I just want to send a friendly bit of advice. Please edit your post and remove the clubs name, or the mods should, before we all become targets.

Ken

WOW !! This OP is a good way to make the BMW MOA a target.
Unfortunately riding a motorcycle has you living in their 1% world.
They make and enforce the rules. The OP should of left it at 1%er club and NOT named the club.
Respect will get you Respect..... Disrespect will get you tuned up.
I know a lot of riders don't know protocol , but a post like this can endanger anyone wearing a BMW MOA patch,
hat or T shirt if this gets back to them. I've been around this lifestyle for a long long time, I'm not taking sides on this I just want to send a friendly bit of advice. Please edit your post and remove the clubs name, or the mods should, before we all become targets.

Ken

To make you feel better I edited my post. Happy now? But seriously, do you think many people other than MOA riders come here?

Back