• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1% ers are Idiots

To make you feel better I edited my post. Happy now? But seriously, do you think many people other than MOA riders come here?

I thank you personally , and for the MOA - I'm glad that you did. Short answer to your question yes. I personally know two who are "retired" and now riding BMW's. Word gets around.

I would bet big money that if you had a patch of some kind on (BMWMOA, MOA, ect) or a sticker on your mudflap that it was noticed.

It really serves no purpose to call out a club by name, nor does it enhance the story. 1% would be a sufficient description. It does however disrespect the particular club on a nationwide basis. Trust me that can get ugly! I would hate to see the MOA or BMW riders in general become targets.

As I stated above, I'm not taking either side. (Merely trying to quell a problem) Most people who ride M/C's
have no idea what the other side is like, nor the rules they play by.

Again I'd like to thank you for editing your post, it's best for all!

Ken

Last edited:
GFSpencer, I want to express to you personally that I'm in no way endorsing what happened to you. It was wrong, disrespectful & dangerous to you that it happened. There are idiots in every group and it sounds like a few ran across you.

To MOA members, I first sent my first post to GFSpencer by PM. After thinking about it I decided to post it to this thread as it is information which needs to be spread among members. Again I commend the OP for cleaning up his post.

KEn

Maybe if enough people called them out specifically and they were shamed enough publicly they'd get the message. Better yet, nah, we'll leave the better yet unsaid. Worthless bums.

This thread is headed over to the Campfire as it seems to be a coal kicker.

Passing on both sides is not cool and risky...glad you came out OK. Passing in your lane on left...happens in lane splitting and often here as riders wave you by on two-lanes.

Not every group with a club patch is a 1%...there is a difference. Have worked/done business with a few and as mentioned respect earns respect.

And for all the guys who want their rights not stamped on and ride BMW's...same applies to them. May not fit your set of values...so what? Nothing is going to change mindsets ... yours or theirs.

If I get behind/amongst a group I recognize as the real deal, I stop for a break and let them get out of the way. It's one of those situational awareness scenarios we talk about. About thirty years ago in Houston, I was younger and dumber...I'll leave it at that.

Every group of riders regardless of brand can take on the pack mentality and not perform to your set of standards with some breaking laws. I recall the uproar of several here being passed on back roads in Johnson City TN by fellow rally goers. I was passed...I passed, I got blocked and got mad...I rode on.

I'll say this though.....

Two summers ago we were coming up I-75 south of Atlanta and I was leading a mixed group of motorcycles. I saw headlights coming up in another lane and they slowly passed us. There were 4 of them and they were definitely an "outlaw" club and not just posers. But I noticed the leader gave hand signals to the group to change lanes EVERY time they did and the tail would change lanes first. As they were not hauling a** they were in sight for quite some time. On the other hand a group sport bike riders (the kind with shorts, t-shirt, flip flops and a $500 full face helmet) came up and were zig zagging in and out of traffic and between cars. I actually wanted them to cut through the group of 1%ers.

Maybe if enough people called them out specifically and they were shamed enough publicly they'd get the message. Better yet, nah, we'll leave the better yet unsaid. Worthless bums.

You know you may be onto something there!!
Next time you see a group of them out riding, why dont you tell them what worthless bums they are!?
Get back with us and let us know how it goes.

Ken

When I was in my late teens, early twenties, I, and all of my preppy, college type friends played on a softball team. One of the guys 'knew' the owner of a local pub that was a hangout for an outlaw biker gang. On a dare, he asked the owner to sponsor our team. He agreed! The owner of the bar gave us 'limited edition' (meaning you had to know him to get them) t-shirts to wear. The biker dudes were quite friendly to us and came to a few games! Imagine the looks of the other team when our cheering section consisted of 10-20 filthy nasty looking Harley riders!

Some of my best memories are from the nights we all spent at that bar. It was a lot like this, seriously! (But we didnt wear the white platform shoes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH6kAOViEJg

Any morals in these various stories? Maybe. When you see in your mirrors a group of riders closing in on you - 1%ers, sport bikers, hopefully not Wingnuts - pull over if you can, or move to the right, slow down, and wave them past. You want their antics and loud pipes well in front of you as well as any crashes. Yes, you have given them the respect that they expect and do not deserve - but, on the plus side, you are not involved in a crash or fight.

It is amazing that the authorities cannot get a handle on "loud pipes." Even more amazing to me (a musician with some hearing loss, rides a quiet bike yet always wears earplugs) is how people with loud pipes and no ear plugs or helmets converse in the bar. Signe language?

I bet the OP wished he had a video recorder on his helmet. (No, I don't have one either.) A movie of those bikes passing him on both sides in the same lane with license plate numbers would, you would think, lead to a number of charges.

This thread points out that, when we ride, the "enemies" are not just bad cage drivers, wild animals, and potholes. There are quite a few bad riders out there too who can shorten your life span.

Usually there is something you can do to mitigate the hazards.

But on the noise issue I care. When they come in packs going past our house I can often hear them coming a mile away, and hear them as they go bleating away from as far as three miles. And when I see a little kid wince and cover his/her ears as I go to start my quiet motorcycle I want to scream obscenities at the fools.

Your comment about loud pipes reminded me of this episode of South Park. It?s priceless and speaks volumes of these guys. It is worth watching it.
http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s13e12-the-f-word

I wonder why this was moved to the "Campfire". The subject is definitely not "The Lighter Side" We were talking about riding and how our riding is sometimes affected by really stupid people. How we react to those stupid people can be really important. Just saying . . .

despite all the flaws of the AMA they have lobbied for a standardized test that can be implemented in the field by LEOs to be law at state level

Roger,

This is techno-babble double speak that gives a facade of morality to the AMA's 'wink and nod" position on load pipes. Saying we support in-situ measurements as long as they replicate laboratory grade Anechoic chamber noise measurements, is just stating a an unobtainable benchmark that justifies continued pandering the AMA base.

In my most non-humble opinion, the AMA panders to a mentality that wants to feel oppressed and persecuted to justify self-centered and selfish conduct. Instead, they should be advocating a higher standard of conduct.

Sincerely,

Jon

AMA, to my knowledge, is one of the few, maybe the only, motorcyclist advocates that monitors what our masterminds are trying to do that affects the sport/necessity of riding. In the last issue of American Motorcyclist, several problems were discussed in detail, and pipes wasn't one of them.

The black box monitoring of motorcyclists and to whom does said information legally belong, ethanol, in previous issue, the vast sweeping sucking up of lands by the masterminds, and such other topics, is what I've seen the AMA involved with. Motorcycle only traffic stops were also discussed. AMA carries the water, IMO. If AMA is soft on loud pipes or helmets, no different than MOA prohibiting political banter?

I wonder why this was moved to the "Campfire". The subject is definitely not "The Lighter Side" We were talking about riding and how our riding is sometimes affected by really stupid people. How we react to those stupid people can be really important. Just saying . . .

Campfire often times is not the Lighter Side...
the title of the thread starts with a negative inflammatory poke. We have a diverse membership, including folks who have been part of other clubs and lifestyles . We often quote threads/posts from other forums here and a lot of quotes are passed on to other forums. Brand bashing is one thing...calling out a particular group who we share the road with may cause problems for some riders...just sayin'.

If it were how to deal with ALL types of so called "stupid people" it wouldn't be so bad and a fit for Just Ridin'. This threads title will most likely be cause for some one sided opinions. I made a call.

I thought the 1%'ers were the "evil" people the occupiers were against

I agree this isn't the best label for these riders. I live outside one of the wealthiest zip codes in the nation. I'm renting from a family member who bought there long before the area was built up (I'm definitely not in the 1%).

I can say with absolute confidence that the 1%'ers do not ride Harleys. Or BMWs. Or any motorcycle of any kind. It's not a respected indicator of wealth in their "club." There is an Aston Martin dealership less than a mile from my house. It's not unusual to see Ferrari's, Lambo's, and McLarens a few times a week when the weather is warm. There is a "cars and coffee" every Saturday just up the road. Over half of the cars on the road are luxury badges. Another half of those are on the very high end ($60K+). These people could care less about us "low brow" motorcyclists. :brow

(Maybe I'm missing something obvious regarding the 1% label...)

I agree this isn't the best label for these riders. I live outside one of the wealthiest zip codes in the nation. I'm renting from a family member who bought there long before the area was built up (I'm definitely not in the 1%).

I can say with absolute confidence that the 1%'ers do not ride Harleys. Or BMWs. Or any motorcycle of any kind. It's not a respected indicator of wealth in their "club." There is an Aston Martin dealership less than a mile from my house. It's not unusual to see Ferrari's, Lambo's, and McLarens a few times a week when the weather is warm. There is a "cars and coffee" every Saturday just up the road. Over half of the cars on the road are luxury badges. Another half of those are on the very high end ($60K+). These people could care less about us "low brow" motorcyclists. :brow

(Maybe I'm missing something obvious regarding the 1% label...)

Missing something. Yes. Years ago the most "evil" of motorcycle riders were labeled the 1%ers in that they represented the most badass 1% of all motorcycle riders. This appelation came about some time 50 or more years ago.

Much more recently, folks began talking about the richest 1% of the population of the United States.

Any connection between the original 1% and the more modern 1% would be totally accidental unless one of the originals was sufficiently successful selling drugs or assasinations or something so as to join the more recent 1%ers.

AMA, to my knowledge, is one of the few, maybe the only, motorcyclist advocates that monitors what our masterminds are trying to do that affects the sport/necessity of riding.

Well, I'd like folks that don't ride with helmets excluded from my insurance group so my rates aren't affected (increased) by their presence.

If AMA is repsonsible for the fact they're not, I'm not for it.

I'm for mandatory helmets.
I'm for ATGATT
I think all motorcycles should have front brakes. Good ones.
Motorcycling to me isn't about making noise.
I'm against off-road riding on public lands, i.e. riding not on established roads.
I would have liked to watch the Daytona 200 on TV.

So, what is AMA doing for me again?

Back