• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'06 GS to '12 GS...Input Wanted.

bobframe

I am going to trade in my '06R1200GS for a low mileage 2012 R1200GS Triple Black. I am truly remorseful to see the '06 leaving as it has been my favorite bike of all time. But I have a chance to pick up a very low mileage 2012 GS from a friend and think that its a good move. I think there's enough similarities between the model years that it won't be like starting over...maybe like the old bike on steroids?

Anyone have any input on what you think I'll like about the newer GS?

How about what I might prefer about my '06?

Thanks for the input.

Bob

Last edited:
I went from an '02 to the '12 Rally GS. Night and day difference. Of course I had the 10 gallon tank on the '02 but both were equipped with Jesse bags.
Lighter, more power, smoother. I was glad I made the change.... for two years until I changed direction and went to the 14 RTW.

My Mechanic's Favorite engine

I had a 2009 1200GS, and then switched to a 2010 1200GSA. My mechanic told me that the dual cams in the newer models were 'bullet-proof' and that I would love the newer engine. He was right. I have 40K on the GSA and feel confident that the bike will never let me down!

What's the story with Camhead maintenance vs. Hexhead? Easier or harder?

Valves stay in spec longer for most. Checking them is about the same effort, but the Camhead needs shims of various sizes if adjustment needed...just takes longer and the shims.

The rest of maintenance pretty much the same

Valves stay in spec longer for most. Checking them is about the same effort, but the Camhead needs shims of various sizes if adjustment needed...just takes longer and the shims.

The rest of maintenance pretty much the same
I had an '06 Honda ST1300 with "bucket under shims" valve adjusters. As I recall, it was a regal PIA...checking not so bad, but actually adjusting them was much more involved. One needed to borrow a "shim kit" with assorted thicknesses of shims. Fortunately, they had a reputation of rarely needing adjustment.

Imagine my delight with the simple to adjust valves of the BMW Hexhead! Talk about your elegant solution. As it turned out even a ham handed mechanic like me could muddle through the adjustment.

Is the Camhead valve adjustment similar to my ST1300?

Other than how they are layed out, yes.
Measure, remove shim and measure...do tne math, find new shim, replace and re-check...8 times:banghead . As in other brand models, the shim kit is pricey for a one bike owner IMHO as the shims are $7 each...I recall a whole kit around $300

Takes more time for sure,but on paper claims less often.

never adjusted or even checked the valve lash on a ST1300...

BUT checking and adjusting on the Camhead is pretty easy....remove the main spark plugs, remove the covers, rotate the motor using the rear wheel in 6th gear to align the cam timing marks, check the clearances....if adjustments are needed, simply remove the "E" clip from the offending rocker, slide off off of the valve stem, measure and adjust the "semi-sphere" as needed...sounds A LOT more complicated than it actually is...it took me more time to record the data than to do the adjustment...

this... http://sanjosebmw.smugmug.com/Other/Tech-pictures/10976964_bHf66/1#!i=767209614&k=BmBc5cN ...is from the Tech Library

have fun...

btw, i did an initial "semi-sphere" dimension check and ordered the needed parts prior to actually changing....easy peasy...

wyman

Miles tell!!!

130000 on my '07 GSA keeps me with smiles.... Tappets are my favorite, even though no valve adjusts have been needed. Just easier. 100HP is never going to let me down, need nothing more. Im on original clutch, original front brakes and this GSA seems to not show any signs of letting me down. Im her only service wrench since new. Yes, Ive had all the BMW recalls and a few issues. FD bearing twice replaced, fuel strips(3) and a driveshaft just replaced recently by my 7 year warranty:). My warranty expires Feb.2015 and I have been inclined to keep my '07 GSA for more years....

Back