• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'04 R1150RS fuel tank hardware

MOONDOG59

Looking for the metric screw size for the two most forward screws attaching the side fairings to the tank. You know, the last two screws I forget to remove pulling the tank off. The screws attach to forward "ears" of the tank. Cant find them in the fiche drawings which are not to good.

Attachments

• 20240405_181019.jpg
    20240405_181019.jpg
    733.1 KB · Views: 10
Found it. It was listed (5) under "covering inner". Draw on line down from the right hand grip.
M5x16. Thanks for your help.

Mine lists as m5x16? I'm using MaxBMW fiche. Wonder why the difference. Guess I'll buy both and see which fits best.

Mine lists as m5x16? I'm using MaxBMW fiche. Wonder why the difference. Guess I'll buy both and see which fits best.
The M5 x 16 is used in the center, where the two panels come together. The added length is to accommodate the thickness of two panels instead of one. Note that only 1 is required.

Best,
DeVern

You’re welcome!
Another good question is why does MaxBMW list the M5 x 12 screws for $4.42 each and the M5 x 16 screws at $2.44 each? :unsure:

I buy most general fasteners in bulk from McMaster Carr, and paint as needed. And anti-seize is your friend on anything that screws into those molded-in nuts.
Good luck with the project!

:)
Best,
DeVern

Back