• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

‘02 R1150RT Replacement Brake Pads

tangoalpha

Hi guys. Long time no talk. Well summer is over and it’s time to change brake pads on the bike. So I was wondering, do any of you have a favored replacement pad? Before I order a set of pads from BMW, I thought I’d check in and see if you have any recommendations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use EBC "HH" pads.

Thanks Paul. I was hoping you might chime in. I’ve decided to also swap out my brake lines for a set of braided stainless steel. Been leaning towards Spiegler vs Galfer. Do you have a favorite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Paul. I was hoping you might chime in. I’ve decided to also swap out my brake lines for a set of braided stainless steel. Been leaning towards Spiegler vs Galfer. Do you have a favorite?

I have never used Galfer and have used several sets of Spiegler.

Carbon Loranie work well, the fronts do make a whirring noise, I do not know why, but it has never went away. Humm, BMW and strange noises.

They do work well and do not wear the rotors.

Rod

Carbon Loranie work well, the fronts do make a whirring noise, I do not know why, but it has never went away. Humm, BMW and strange noises.

They do work well and do not wear the rotors.

Rod

Thanks. I did see those listed on the Beemerboneyard website. Any idea of how they compared to the EBC brake pads? Any difference?

Thanks. I did see those listed on the Beemerboneyard website. Any idea of how they compared to the EBC brake pads? Any difference?

Find out the two letter rating for the pads. Those letters are a rating of friction coefficient. The "higher" the letter the greater the friction the pad has. The first letter is for 250 degrees F. The second letter is for 600 degrees F.

Last time I looked the OEM pads on my R1150R were rated FG. HH is higher. Two steps higher at 250F. One step higher at 600F.

The upside is you can generally stop quicker, provided the tires and pavement are up to their part of the task. The downside is you may get more rotor wear. Your priorities may vary depending on how long you intend to keep the motorcycle and how you view the possible expense of a couple of front rotors. Trade offs. I use HH pads.

I have installed Galfer lines with absolutely no issues. I would use them again. Considerably less cost.
My humble $0.02.
Cheers, Flhfxd

I have installed Galfer lines with absolutely no issues. I would use them again. Considerably less cost.
My humble $0.02.
Cheers, Flhfxd

Yes they are cheaper. In every way... The problem I found with Galfer lines is that they cannot be adjusted for a perfect fit like the Spiegler lines can. Spieglers come with a tool that allows you to twist the banjo bolts in the event that the pre configured lines do not fit perfectly. When I installed them on my RT, there were two spots down low on the short ones that were a bit hard to install due to the angle being off just slightly. I used the tool to adjust that and made a perfect stress free fit.

Full disclosure: I had a bad fitting Galfer line on one of my airheads under the tank where the splitter is. This caused a lot of brake fluid to leak all over my frame up there and it annoyed me to no end because the item was not made correctly at the factory in the first place and it was not adjustable. So I only recommend Spieglers now. Sure they cost a bit more but we all know you get what you pay for.

Yes they are cheaper. In every way... The problem I found with Galfer lines is that they cannot be adjusted for a perfect fit like the Spiegler lines can. Spieglers come with a tool that allows you to twist the banjo bolts in the event that the pre configured lines do not fit perfectly. When I installed them on my RT, there were two spots down low on the short ones that were a bit hard to install due to the angle being off just slightly. I used the tool to adjust that and made a perfect stress free fit.

Full disclosure: I had a bad fitting Galfer line on one of my airheads under the tank where the splitter is. This caused a lot of brake fluid to leak all over my frame up there and it annoyed me to no end because the item was not made correctly at the factory in the first place and it was not adjustable. So I only recommend Spieglers now. Sure they cost a bit more but we all know you get what you pay for.

Yes. I’ve heard about the Galfers not being oriented quite the way we’d like. Again, my experience was without any issues. I wonder if they may have had QA issues in the past? Or if your set were in fact the right year / part number etc.? Or maybe I just got a bit lucky with the hardware on mine?
I have to replace the lines on my ‘99 RT. Might try the Galfers again. I’ll report back if any issues.

Find out the two letter rating for the pads. Those letters are a rating of friction coefficient. The "higher" the letter the greater the friction the pad has. The first letter is for 250 degrees F. The second letter is for 600 degrees F.

Last time I looked the OEM pads on my R1150R were rated FG. HH is higher. Two steps higher at 250F. One step higher at 600F.

The upside is you can generally stop quicker, provided the tires and pavement are up to their part of the task. The downside is you may get more rotor wear. Your priorities may vary depending on how long you intend to keep the motorcycle and how you view the possible expense of a couple of front rotors. Trade offs. I use HH pads.

Thanks again Paul. On your earlier recommendation I had planned on ordering a set of the EBC brake pads (HH) and assumed incorrectly I might add, that I could buy them from Beemer Boneyard. For whatever reason, they do not sell the fully sintered (HH) pads, so I just ordered a set from Amazon. Five dollars cheaper per pad than most of the other websites and free shipping with Prime. Got a love Amazon!

Last edited:
My humble $0.02.
Cheers, Flhfxd

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback on the Galfer lines. Being the only other name I knew, aside from Spiegler and having no excuses experience with either, I really was hoping for for some feedback on them, which you definitely have me. Thank you. As you pointed out, they are certainly less expensive and I had hoped that would be the way to go. However given my lack of experience when it comes to replacing brake lines and that my bike has the dreaded whizzy brakes and that Spiegler provides the tool for making small adjustments to fit the line properly, I’ve opted to buy a set of Spiegler’s.

I think you should try them and give us some feedback. :thumb

Came close..very close to ordering those. But then I thought of the immediate shame and disapproval I’d feel from PGlaves, so I bought the EBC’s instead. 🤣

Knowing you’ve had some experience replacing these brake lines before, I was wishing that we were neighbors. Im dreading replacing them on my bike, which you may remember has the servo assisted ABS brakes. I bought the DVD from B.B. and the special funnel, so I’ll be ready to go once my new pads and brake lines arrive.

I that I stand alone in this, but I really enjoy my whizzy brakes. I’ve grown quite accustomed to having them. They’re ideal for where I live where; my home sits on a steep hillside and the general area where I live there are many hills. Those brakes are perfect for starting out in in 1st gear while holding a hill after stopping.

Thanks. I appreciate the feedback on the Galfer lines. Being the only other name I knew, aside from Spiegler and having no excuses experience with either, I really was hoping for for some feedback on them, which you definitely have me. Thank you. As you pointed out, they are certainly less expensive and I had hoped that would be the way to go. However given my lack of experience when it comes to replacing brake lines and that my bike has the dreaded whizzy brakes and that Spiegler provides the tool for making small adjustments to fit the line properly, I’ve opted to buy a set of Spiegler’s.

Definitely sound logic. No doubt the Spiegles are a great product. I’m sure you’ll be pleased with the outcome.

Knowing you’ve had some experience replacing these brake lines before, I was wishing that we were neighbors. Im dreading replacing them on my bike, which you may remember has the servo assisted ABS brakes. I bought the DVD from B.B. and the special funnel, so I’ll be ready to go once my new pads and brake lines arrive.

I that I stand alone in this, but I really enjoy my whizzy brakes. I’ve grown quite accustomed to having them. They’re ideal for where I live where; my home sits on a steep hillside and the general area where I live there are many hills. Those brakes are perfect for starting out in in 1st gear while holding a hill after stopping.

Not familiar with that DVD but I'm sure the procedures are likely fine. One thing I don't see in a lot of bleeding instructions but I find it much easier to refill the front brake circuits from the bottom up after doing lines. So much easier using a 60cc syringe and some poly host to push the fluid up from the caliper. Air bubbles rise so much easier than when they are pumped downhill. Apparently BMW thinks so too as they install new fluid on new bikes using a grub screw on the right front caliper.

Back