• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Just changed my rear tire and the rim is damaged.

wynnd

Is this common?

It just looks like a sharp edge was hit and not protected by the tire. It's holding air pressure and the tire tech said it was probably fixable. Anyone else do the repair? (I'm not doing it at this point because I can't feel it while riding and I don't hot rod anymore.) Was told $150 to repair is likely.

Thoughts?

You are fortunate to live near one of the most respected wheel repair shops in the country. Get it fixed.

Woody's Wheel Works
2200 S. Jason St, Denver, CO 80223
info@woodyswheelworks.com
Phone: 1-303-936-0232
Text: 1-303-578-9599
Fax: 303.936.1992

You are fortunate to live near one of the most respected wheel repair shops in the country. Get it fixed.

Woody's Wheel Works
2200 S. Jason St, Denver, CO 80223
info@woodyswheelworks.com
Phone: 1-303-936-0232
Text: 1-303-578-9599
Fax: 303.936.1992

Woodly's Wheel can probably fix it, although I would check with them on the details. I had a K75 three spoke wheel that was damaged and contacted them. I got some confusing advice such as , " Even if we straighten it, it will go back to being bent" and, " It will only be good for very infrequent riding if we do it". And on top if it, it was pretty expensive to have them do it.

I then called MC Wheel in Arizona and got a completely different take on it. They could fix it, it would be fine to ride. The only thing that stopped me was the shipping cost of about $120 out and back, but the actual straightening was a reasonable $120-$180. Their phone number is 888-629-4335. I would give them a call. (Their website was in transition at the time, but it should be operative again, and they were formerly based in New Hampshire, but they have moved to Arizona.)

Goggle MC Wheel. They are now in Arizona, used to be in NH. They've done the front wheel on my 96 R1100RT 2X's. They can repair some nasty bends to racing specs. And yes, the OEM wheels of this vintage are soft as butter. My rear now has a slight bend, and I'm diligent about keeping max recommended PSI. Of course, Pennsylvania's shoddy road maintenance and my 245 lbs are factors in my case.

Not to de-rail this thread but...........

I need new tires and of course, the Michelin Pilot Roads are getting few and far between for the 18" rear.

My rear rim is bent as well and could be straightened but I found a 17" from a K75 that is the three spoke cast.

Is this a reasonable option?

I need new tires and of course, the Michelin Pilot Roads are getting few and far between for the 18" rear.

My rear rim is bent as well and could be straightened but I found a 17" from a K75 that is the three spoke cast.

The K75 wheel is probably 2.75" wide (the size should be cast into the back side of a spoke). If so it would be too narrow to fit anything but a 130/90 or 140/80 tire.

Frank

5" K1200RS wheel fits, and you have to use the RS wheel bolts as they are shorter than the bolts for the 18" wheel. Early K1200LT wheel is also the same, so you might find a wheel from a front end totaled LT.

I too am interested in finding a 17 inch for my 96 R1100RT. Hoping someone can chime in with best options. I know Paul G put a 17 on Voni's RS, but I haven't researched the subject. When I have time I'll blunder around this forum for more info.

Been riding it.

I've had a chance to ride the bike. It's a pretty minor side edge dent and no apparent wobble to the tire. I don't hot rod anymore and the bike feels solid. I'm inclined to just wear the NEW tire out and look for a 17" wheel from an older K1200 bike that fits. That said, I'm liking the Metzler Z8 tire.

The 04 RT has the brake disk attached to the wheel

The 97 has the entire rear brake assembly attached to the drive housing, so when removing the wheel, NOTHING has to be done with the rear brake. I really don't care about how many spokes as I don't ride anything to impress others and if I really cared about looks, I would wash the bike more often than ONCE A YEAR.

I do care about function and I love the ease of rear wheel removal. I've had to do it twice. Once for a flat tire and once to replace the worn out rear tire. With more than 200K miles under my belt, I've removed enough rear tires to know what is typical and what is amazingly easy. I don't ever want to go back.

Back