• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pics of the 2021 RT are emerging

So BMW is now providing the thing to stare at instead of looking down the road ahead of you. Someday they might realize that a motorcycle isn't a car but until then, good luck with the doo dads. They might kill you.
Even in a car, they'll kill you.........

IMHO, texting and TFT fiddling are the same

Agree. I have a 2020 GSA with the TFT dash and although it's got all sorts of whiz-bang functions, they're buried and frankly I find it to provide less information that's harder to interpret than the semi-analog style on my 2016 GSA. The connectivity options are useless to me, YMMV. Sure, almost everything I want is available through the My Motorcycle app on the Nav, but I find the digital speedo and bar-graph tach to require more mental energy to interpret than round dials. And don't get me started on BMW's disabling the software that allows KPH to display - a useful function when I go to Canada.

At this point, it's quite likely that there won't be a BMW in my garage after this one if they continue along the tech path they're going.

I’m not seeing in any of the pics a mount location for the Nav VI... Will the TFT and BMW Connected app be the only supported GPS solution? The document linked in post #5 sure makes it sound that way. That’s a bit concerning for those of us who have been less than favorably impressed with the app/TFT combination at the level of development seen on the 2018-2020 bikes.

DeVern

No need for a NAV VI, the RT's TFT has full GPS nav function built in. Will not need to rely on cellular as with other TFT's.

Agree. I have a 2020 GSA with the TFT dash and although it's got all sorts of whiz-bang functions, they're buried and frankly I find it to provide less information that's harder to interpret than the semi-analog style on my 2016 GSA. The connectivity options are useless to me, YMMV. Sure, almost everything I want is available through the My Motorcycle app on the Nav, but I find the digital speedo and bar-graph tach to require more mental energy to interpret than round dials. And don't get me started on BMW's disabling the software that allows KPH to display - a useful function when I go to Canada.

At this point, it's quite likely that there won't be a BMW in my garage after this one if they continue along the tech path they're going.

On my pre-TFT dash, I can see the speed, tach, trip/ODO and gear. What I can't easily see, because it's so darn small, is the time of day. If the "clock" desplay was larger, that would be all I could process when I ride.

No need for a NAV VI, the RT's TFT has full GPS nav function built in. Will not need to rely on cellular as with other TFT's.

I take it you’ve not actually tried to do a route and navigate with the TFT/App. I’ve not been impressed with the capabilities thus far, especially compared to a Garmin unit. :(

DeVern

<iframe width="994" height="559" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/W7FR49sVLZ8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll likely stick with my wethead GS, but here is some more coverage of the new RT.

Harry

frankly I find it to provide less information that's harder to interpret than the semi-analog style on my 2016 GSA.

You grew up with analog, so of course, switching is hard. If you grew up with digital, and even played driving games as a kid then interpreting the digital data is second nature. If BMW is going to continue to be relevant beyond your lifetime, they need to adapt for a younger audience. Hence the connectivity and digital display.

Human factor engineers will tell you that digital is not easier than analog for the human eye and brain to process. A combination of the two is best. Many years ago military fighters started to get digital instrumentation to replace the analog. The digital provides more accurate info, but take time to see and process. An analog presentation is quicker to see without even reading the data. A great example is the display of multiple engines running status (power setting, fuel flow, various temperatures, etc.). The gauges were designed so that if one was out of parameters, it was easy to detect with only a glance. Digital required looking at each individual number and processing that info. Newer designs retain the analog for quick reference, then you can check the digital if something is amiss.

It is not about what you grew up on, it is what your eyes and brain can efficiently accomplish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Human factor engineers will tell you that digital is not easier than analog for the human eye and brain to process. A combination of the two is best. Many years ago military fighters started to get digital instrumentation to replace the analog. The digital provides more accurate info, but take time to see and process. An analog presentation is quicker to see without even reading the data. A great example is the display of multiple engines running status (power setting, fuel flow, various temperatures, etc.). The gauges were designed so that if one was out of parameters, it was easy to detect with only a glance. Digital required looking at each individual number and processing that info. Newer designs retain the analog for quick reference, then you can check the digital if something is amiss.

It is not about what you grew up on, it is what your eyes and brain can efficiently accomplish.

Yes..... Like having all the gauges pointing at twelve o'clock when everything is running as it should. :thumb

OM

I also am not impressed with more electronic gadgets. Even on my 2018 RT has more than I like or want. I scroll through the wonder wheel and wonder who uses all this crapola! Trouble is the next guy complains because the head lights don't adjust for the turn and wants the $5,000 head light option.

I do like the electronically adjustable suspension, but honestly I could do without, and long as the suspension works and has some manual adjustability. I hated the rear suspension on my Harley enough to spend $1,000 for Ohlins shocks. I set them up for me and mama on the back and leave them there. Even set up for two and riding solo they ride better than the OEM shocks.

Excellent description of human factoring considerations...

In aviation, including both airframe and the modernization of air traffic control, there were some hard lessons learned while attempting to embrace full digital.

I’m not seeing in any of the pics a mount location for the Nav VI... Will the TFT and BMW Connected app be the only supported GPS solution? The document linked in post #5 sure makes it sound that way. That’s a bit concerning for those of us who have been less than favorably impressed with the app/TFT combination at the level of development seen on the 2018-2020 bikes.

DeVern

No mount for Nav, as the navigation is integrated into the TFT.

Navigation comes from the phone, so supporting nav apps but I haven't seen a complete list of supported apps.

Would hope this is Android or CarPlay driven

Navigation comes from the phone, so supporting nav apps but I haven't seen a complete list of supported apps.

The only supported app is the BMW Motorrad Connected app, no Car Play or Android Auto. The Connected app may be able to import data from Rever or similar apps but I can’t say for sure as I disconnected the app and my phone from the TFT back in the spring, preferring to run all services and navigation through the Nav VI.

Best,
DeVern

Yep and ditto all. :nod

So, what happens if you don't have cell service?

The BMW Motorrad Connected app is a TomTom product. I think Garmin is history at BMW. Note that new Zumo models, the basis for the Navigators, have not had the 18 pin mounts needed for the CANBUS/Wonderwheel connection since 2016.

I suspect the new TFT navigation will work just fine without cell service, but not at all without your smartphone. The phone will provide the receiver for the GPS satellite signal, store the maps and routes, and provide the processing power. GPX routes built on a computer with Basecamp or other means will transfer to the app via Wifi or Bluetooth.

So, what happens if you don't have cell service?
Cell phones with gps chips don't need cell coverage to get your location. They do need cell data or wifi to download maps.
The connected app lets you download maps ahead of time. If you don't forget, you'll be fine, if you do, I hope you have a good data plan.
It obviously won't work if your cell doesn't have a gps chip and no cell signal.

An interesting dilema. A friend runs a motorcycle tours agency. All bikes have gps units and multiple routes preloaded, sometimes 10 or more for a single day. How do you manage that without gps units? Can you rely on your customers using their cell phones?

There are probably hundreds more scenarios where gps units are preferable to using cell apps and hundreds more where cells work out fine. It all depends on what your needs are.

Back