• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Dash differences between hexheads and camheads?

DavidR8

Hi folks, I've been asked if I'd make a version of my GPS mount for the 2005-2009 RT
Problem is I don't have an RT of that year and can't find one locally.
Does anyone know if the top profile of a hexhead dash is the same as a camhead?
Barring that, I need to see some pics of the top and riders view of a hexhead RT so I can compare it to my camhead to see if my design will work.

Thanks, they are definitely different as the 2005-2009 mounts from Wunderlich don't fit a 2010-2013.

The simplicity of your mount may still allow it to fit both models. The Wunderlich grips the back edge of the dash differently between models but your mount doesn't do this. The instrument cover or surround is different between hex and cam heads but the upper trim panel is the same part for both and that part sets the distance between the bolts that secure your mount to the fairing bracket underneath the trim panel.

I'll try and get some pictures of my hex head dash for you.

The simplicity of your mount may still allow it to fit both models. The Wunderlich grips the back edge of the dash differently between models but your mount doesn't do this. The instrument cover or surround is different between hex and cam heads but the upper trim panel is the same part for both and that part sets the distance between the bolts that secure your mount to the fairing bracket underneath the trim panel.

I'll try and get some pictures of my hex head dash for you.
Brilliant, really appreciate that Dave.
If the trim piece is the same then the curve of the top must also be the same?

Last edited:
Hi folks, I've been asked if I'd make a version of my GPS mount for the 2005-2009 RT
Problem is I don't have an RT of that year and can't find one locally.
Does anyone know if the top profile of a hexhead dash is the same as a camhead?
Barring that, I need to see some pics of the top and riders view of a hexhead RT so I can compare it to my camhead to see if my design will work.
Here's some pictures of my 2007. The top of the upper trim panel has to be the same because the BMW part # is the same. It is peaked slightly. I installed a B-309-1U clutch reservoir ball on top of the dash with one of the screws and a strip of double sided foam tape. I carry an iPhone on that one. The other two Ram balls on the base of the handlebars are Ram B-367BU mounts for the GPS and a Spot Tracker.

IMG_3926.jpeg
IMG_3925.jpegIMG_3924.jpeg
IMG_3922.jpeg

Thanks for those pics Dave.
The dash top looks completely different from my 2013.
From Max BMW I get the following part numbers.
P/N for 2010 -2013 is 46 63 7 711 707
P/N for 2005 - 2009 is 46 63 7 681 279
In any event I think I can work from those pics.
Thanks again!

Thanks for those pics Dave.
The dash top looks completely different from my 2013.
From Max BMW I get the following part numbers.
P/N for 2010 -2013 is 46 63 7 711 707
P/N for 2005 - 2009 is 46 63 7 681 279
In any event I think I can work from those pics.
Thanks again!
Double check the parts diagrams. Both models use part 46 63 7 682 929, upper trim panel. This piece has two holes in it which bolts pass through to attach the panel to the underlying frame bracket. Your mount uses those same threaded fittings through the trim panel into the threaded part of the underlying frame bracket. That distance between holes is the same for both models. The radius of the back edge of the trim panel appears to be the same for both models though the 10-13s extend the cover aft to form more shade over the instruments below.

The two models utilize different instrument covers, yes, mentioned above in #4, but they both fit against the same part - upper trim panel - which determines the radius of the different instrument covers (dash top) so they both fit closely against the top rear edge of the upper trim panel.

If you are willing and want to, make a cardboard template of the aluminum plate and I'll see how it fits on my bike or if you prefer I can make one and send it to you to see how it corresponds to yours.

Last edited:
Double check the parts diagrams. Both models use part 46 63 7 682 929, upper trim panel. This piece has two holes in it which bolts pass through to attach the panel to the underlying frame bracket. Your mount uses those same threaded fittings through the trim panel into the threaded part of the underlying frame bracket. That distance between holes is the same for both models. The radius of the back edge of the trim panel appears to be the same for both models though the 10-13s extend the cover aft to form more shade over the instruments below.

The two models utilize different instrument covers, yes, mentioned above in #4, but they both fit against the same part - upper trim panel - which determines the radius of the different instrument covers (dash top) so they both fit closely against the top rear edge of the upper trim panel.

If you are willing and want to, make a cardboard template of the aluminum plate and I'll see how it fits on my bike or if you prefer I can make one and send it to you to see how it corresponds to yours.
Sent you a PM Dave

Back