• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Power Socket ... Consumer Liaison?

lkchris

When the first CAN bus bikes arrived in 2005, there was much discussion around the fact the power sockets could only support 5 amps loads. Eventually for the RT at least, this was changed to 10 amps, a much more usable figure.

Local club friend has recently learned the socket on his ‘19 R1250 RS only supports 5 amps. Owners Manual says so. He’s been researching and notes the Owners Manual for the 2020 R1250 RT also states 5 amps.

I’d suggest the MOA Consumer Liaison contact BMW to advise this situation is unacceptable. It would seem there is precedent. Americans at least carry tire pumps and use electric heated clothing items.

I’d suggest in the meantime “buyer beware” to those contemplating new boxers.

Sounds like a lot of messing around on the road to nowhere. The addition of an SAE connector to which a Battery Tender or most any other 12 volt accessory is the way to go.
I’m pretty sure everything that draws power on the bike is set for the connecting wire gauge. Boosting amperage would require at least a new wire harness.
OM

When the first CAN bus bikes arrived in 2005, there was much discussion around the fact the power sockets could only support 5 amps loads. Eventually for the RT at least, this was changed to 10 amps, a much more usable figure.

Local club friend has recently learned the socket on his ‘19 R1250 RS only supports 5 amps. Owners Manual says so. He’s been researching and notes the Owners Manual for the 2020 R1250 RT also states 5 amps.

I’d suggest the MOA Consumer Liaison contact BMW to advise this situation is unacceptable. It would seem there is precedent. Americans at least carry tire pumps and use electric heated clothing items.

CANBus on the previous gen R and RS (1200-LC) was also limited to 5amp, so the RT is the only one that I have heard getting 10amp, unless the GS did so as well.

No big deal - like OM said, add a bus off the battery terminal, and don't worry about it...

Has nothing to do with CAN-bus which is a Controller Area Network facilitating communications between the various control modules. This is a function of the ZFE module design and programming.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Has nothing to do with CAN-bus which is a Controller Area Network facilitating communications between the various control modules. This is a function of the ZFE module design and programming.

I suppose this is true. But BMW advertised the "CANBUS System" which apparently contains the ZFE, the PDQ, the WOT, the WTF and several other control modules tied together with this magic carpet ride communications system. So please excuse the technical neophytes who call it what BMW called it when they introduced it: CANBUS.

Bottom line is BMW used little wires and used some element of the system to act as a circuit breaker to limit the current to 5 amps.

Yep, pretty much "old news". If you need more power, just deal with it and wire in a power cord.
Anything I want into the powerlet only draws a couple amps or less. My heated gear I use on multiple bikes so I wired in a SAE connector. If the powerlet socket was gone I wouldn't miss it.

I suppose this is true. But BMW advertised the "CANBUS System" which apparently contains the ZFE, the PDQ, the WOT, the WTF and several other control modules tied together with this magic carpet ride communications system. So please excuse the technical neophytes who call it what BMW called it when they introduced it: CANBUS.

Bottom line is BMW used little wires and used some element of the system to act as a circuit breaker to limit the current to 5 amps.

That too! :rofl :rofl
om

Indeed vendors are amongst the worst offenders when it comes to misusing the terminology. I have not seen anything from BMW that is erroneous myself.

This thread caught my eye ,because I,m a new owner of a 2016 RT1200 , and was wondering the same thing. When I asked service at my dealer Max BMW the service manager said the socket was not the best choice for heated gear, because it would steal power from other sources "ie grips and seat." They did install a battery charging cable for a tender. So my take from the conversation is that this would power the gear. Otherwise do what I've done in the past and connect to the battery, with my old link.

This thread caught my eye ,because I,m a new owner of a 2016 RT1200 , and was wondering the same thing. When I asked service at my dealer Max BMW the service manager said the socket was not the best choice for heated gear, because it would steal power from other sources "ie grips and seat." They did install a battery charging cable for a tender. So my take from the conversation is that this would power the gear. Otherwise do what I've done in the past and connect to the battery, with my old link.
The socket does not steal power. What a load of crap. The bike has a certain load capacity and it makes no difference whether the load is drawn from the ZFE or direct from from the battery. If the ZFE senses that the bike's charging system is unable to maintain voltage it will turn off the grips and likely a heated seat.

Installing a $6 fused lead to the battery is a lot more productive use of one's time.

Maybe the RT went back to 10A at some point, but I remember a software update coming along that reduced the port from 10A to 5A for all bikes. This was early on, like 2006.

Or just get a wethead GS: remove one screw that holds battery cover in place and you have the negative terminal and a positive post nearby to hook up your air compressor.

Harry

Back