• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cooling base layers

michelfg

Has anybody bought these? And what’s your opinion? I see Klim,BMW and Cycle Gear have some available at varying price points.
Looking at materials they appear to be the same polyester wicking material in most athletic workout shirts and pants.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have 4 of these long sleeve cooling shirts [ cycle gear calls then heat out shirts ], two yellow, two light grey. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B014C39O7U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a cycle gears cooling vest always packed in the bmw soft top case during the summer months here in Az. I also wear a cooling neck gaiter when riding. Between the shirts and the gaiters I can ride in temps that reach 110F without undue comfort from the heat.

The shirts need wetting about every 2 hours, same for the gaiters, in the higher temps. Usually at a stop for gas, I'll rewet the shirt and gaiter. I use the gaiter like a sponge to soak the shirt.

Check out LD Comfort. It truly is different, made from a two-layer fabric.

What Paul said!

I have two sets of LDComfort Base Layers - both have Long Sleeve tops, one has shorts the other full-length bottoms.

I wear them at all temperatures above 50F under my Klim Latitude Jacket and Pants.
I wear a merino wool base layer at lower temps.

The LDComfort base layer works well for up through 116.7 degrees F the warmest I've ridden in.

From about 75F through 90F I open the jacket and trouser vents and let air flow as best as possible,

Above 90 F I close all jacket vents, open up my collar zipper about 4 inches, Open the sleeve closures to let air in through the cuff, and thoroughly wet my LDComfort sleeves. I then regulate my temperature by closing down the sleeves until I'm comfortable, usually having the cuffs fully open makes me too cold and the sleeves dry too fast. In my experience, the cooling effect will last about 2 hours before I need to re-wet the sleeves.

Once wetted, the LDComfort Top doesn't feel wet against your skin, something about their fabric really works.

I've used this technique in both Low and High humidity and it works even in the heat and humidity of the South East US. It really worked well in March in the dry heat of Australia (116.7F one day in December).

What Paul said!

I have two sets of LDComfort Base Layers - both have Long Sleeve tops, one has shorts the other full-length bottoms.

I wear them at all temperatures above 50F under my Klim Latitude Jacket and Pants.

The LDComfort base layer works well for up through 116.7 degrees F the warmest I've ridden in.

From about 75F through 90F I open the jacket and trouser vents and let air flow as best as possible,

Above 90 F I close all jacket vents, open up my collar zipper about 4 inches, Open the sleeve closures to let air in through the cuff, and thoroughly wet my LDComfort sleeves. I then regulate my temperature by closing down the sleeves until I'm comfortable, usually having the cuffs fully open makes me too cold and the sleeves dry too fast. In my experience, the cooling effect will last about 2 hours before I need to re-wet the sleeves.

Once wetted, the LDComfort Top doesn't feel wet against your skin, something about their fabric really works.

I've used this technique in both Low and High humidity and it works even in the heat and humidity of the South East US. It really worked well in March in the dry heat of Australia (116.7F one day in December).

Ya, ya..... but I hear it does not protect against hail damage. :stick

Ya, ya..... but I hear it does not protect against hail damage. :stick

For hail you need that inflatable vest. And good knee and shin protection. And a good self-serve car wash to bail into. BTDT more than once.

When it is noon, the sky looks dark, you reach a crossroads at the edge of a small Iowa town, and the sirens go off and the street lights come on, if you are smart you turn into town. And when the first building you encounter is a self-service car wash you decide to duck for cover. Who in the heck is going to wash their car right then anyway?

For hail you need that inflatable vest. And good knee and shin protection. And a good self-serve car wash to bail into. BTDT more than once.

When it is noon, the sky looks dark, you reach a crossroads at the edge of a small Iowa town, and the sirens go off and the street lights come on, if you are smart you turn into town. And when the first building you encounter is a self-service car wash you decide to duck for cover. Who in the heck is going to wash their car right then anyway?

1980 near Vernal Utah we got in a bad hail storm and the only thing to hide under was a car port. After we pulled into the car port I knocked on the door to let the owner know why we were there. She invited us in and we visited for a couple hours :)

LD Comfort Doesn't Work For Me

What Paul said!

LD Comfort all the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I seldom sweat. :dunno

At the Salt Lake Rally, several friends spoke of how LD Comfort was the way to keep comfortable on hot, humid riding days so I bought a long sleeve shirt and a skull cap from LDC. On my ride home, I was constantly tired, had trouble keeping awake and hence rode fewer miles each day than planned . A couple of times I even had a hose turned on to wet me and the underside of the shirt which only gave temporary relief. On the fourth morning, I remembered friends saying how the LD Comfort riding gear keeps your sweat inside the material, which results in keeping one cool. That morning I went back to my usual riding attire and all was well.

Because I seldom sweat or notice humidity, (definitely not like normal people), all the LD Comfort did was simply made me hotter and constantly tired. As far as I can remember, it is a condition that I've had for all of my adult life. In Bloomburg, the only time that I had discomfort was in the stands, a third of the way up, when the Jet Cars went by. Then my legs in shorts had droplets running down them. :laugh

I am envious of others who do find comfort in LD Comfort clothing. :thumb

Cheers!

Check out LD Comfort. It truly is different, made from a two-layer fabric.

I was just hoping the technology was more updated. I have some LD comfort shorts. They are ok and do help with soreness on a long ride. I don’t remember them making me feel cooler. He has not changed his material since 2010 I think.

Is there any new technology out there someone is aware of besides the vests or shirts you wet down?

To be honest with I find cotton to be cooler than polyester but it holds the moisture. That is a similar effect that you get with the cooling vests you soak with water.

I seldom sweat. :dunno

At the Salt Lake Rally, several friends spoke of how LD Comfort was the way to keep comfortable on hot, humid riding days so I bought a long sleeve shirt and a skull cap from LDC. On my ride home, I was constantly tired, had trouble keeping awake and hence rode fewer miles each day than planned . A couple of times I even had a hose turned on to wet me and the underside of the shirt which only gave temporary relief. On the fourth morning, I remembered friends saying how the LD Comfort riding gear keeps your sweat inside the material, which results in keeping one cool. That morning I went back to my usual riding attire and all was well.

Because I seldom sweat or notice humidity, (definitely not like normal people), all the LD Comfort did was simply made me hotter and constantly tired. As far as I can remember, it is a condition that I've had for all of my adult life. In Bloomburg, the only time that I had discomfort was in the stands, a third of the way up, when the Jet Cars went by. Then my legs in shorts had droplets running down them. :laugh

I am envious of others who do find comfort in LD Comfort clothing. :thumb

Cheers!

What are you normally wearing underneath?

LD Comfort uses a two-layer fabric. In shorts or tights moisture from the body passes through the inner layer keeping the moisture away from the skin. With the shirt (or sleeves) the garment can be made wet. The water is absorbed by the outer layer and does not pass through the inner layer. So you get the cooling effect from the evaporation of water from the outer layer but the layer against the skin stays dry. I have used it long enough and often enough to attest that it works as advertised. For me at least.

I was just hoping the technology was more updated. I have some LD comfort shorts. They are ok and do help with soreness on a long ride. I don’t remember them making me feel cooler. He has not changed his material since 2010 I think.

Is there any new technology out there someone is aware of besides the vests or shirts you wet down?

To be honest with I find cotton to be cooler than polyester but it holds the moisture.

Cotton T's are the worst to wear in the heat for me. My heat out long sleeves keep me much cooler even if I don't wet them.

That is a similar effect that you get with the cooling vests you soak with water.

Not my experience, my cooling vest cools my core while wet, the cotton T's do not.

Same thing for my wife. I have to keep and eye on her on hot trips to make sure she doesn't overheat.

In hot weather I make a point of always sipping water every 15 minutes; really hot temperatures, sips are every ten minutes to avoid any dehydration.

What are you normally wearing underneath?

Underneath I wear tall boots, wicking undershorts and thin pants that are a combination of cotton and polyester.

I am usually cold up to about 80F when riding. So up to 70F or so, I wear a long sleeve cotton turtle neck with my Gerbings long sleeve liner (not turned on). Between 70 and 80ish F, the turtle neck stays and the Gerbings get packed. From 80- 90ish F, either a short or long sleeve wicking shirt, depending upon the wind. Above 90F, back to the cotton turtle neck with regular two hour soakings. The cotton shirt retains the water soaking at the last rest stop for the better part of two hours in hot weather whereas the wicking shirts do not hold the water for any length of time. I might add that the turtle neck really needs to be aired out by the end of the day. :D

Some might suggest wearing a cooling vest but with the Motoport armoured jacket and the Helite vest, my 150+# body is carrying enough additional weight.

Because of my thryoid issue (yes I take meds for it) I seldom get cold in the winter but do feel the cold during the summer when others don't. My wife is normal so our long trips produce some disagreements in the winter and summer as to the settings for the car's heater or air conditioner. Similar discussions occur about the house temperatures in those two seasons for the last forty-nine years. :laugh

Back