• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What's with Olympia?

Sears was dying before the sell off began. It was an attempt to bring in capital and save it, much too late.

I find the history of Sears ironic. The business was built on mail order, and partially killed off by the internet, which is nothing more than a modern, electronic version of mail order. What does Amazon do that any large retailer could not have done, except lacking vision.

You are on point. In the late 1800's and early 1900's Sears *was* the Amazon of the day and considering what was available in the way of consumer goods was arguably offender an even wider product line. Somewhere I have a reproduction copy of a 1903 Sears & Roebuck (don't forget him) catalog. They every conceivable household good, closeting, farm supplies, and even complete kits for two story houses. About all they didn't have was livestock and mail-order brides. So, how did they not see the Internet coming? In my assessment, they were too successful for too long with a business model they through would last forever. Then when it started they ignored it for too long, and never did come up with a response. They had - and have - a lot of company, many of which are almost gone, or will be there soon. It's a vision thing. Going where others aren't and planning for the future by actually creating the future yourself.

Ten or more years ago Eddie Lambert started selling off Sears and KMart assets because he didn't care about the businesses really. He wanted the real estate. What he has since discovered is as described by Forbes. "Why would someone spend money to buy these locations and then within just a few months shut them down? It’s not for the inventory, which is sparse at best in most of the stores. And it’s not for the real estate either, despite the persistent whining from the uninformed that they possess great unrealized value. Many of these Sears stores are in C and D-grade malls which are barely hanging on to what they have left, which usually consists of an oddball assortment of food court stands, pop-up local clothing stores and maybe the remnants of a faltering national chain or two. The Kmart sites are no better, situated in deteriorating inner city neighborhoods where most other stores have more security guards than shoppers."

I never did understand the Sears/Kmart marriage. Take two failing companies, merge them, then throw more money into the fire just to watch the whole works burn to the ground. What am I missing?

I never did understand the Sears/Kmart marriage. Take two failing companies, merge them, then throw more money into the fire just to watch the whole works burn to the ground. What am I missing?

Private equity vulture capitalism doesn't always work as anticipated. :dunno

I anticipated failure, and wasn't surprised. I wonder what the money guys had planned. It didn't seem like anything changed after the merger.

I anticipated failure, and wasn't surprised. I wonder what the money guys had planned. It didn't seem like anything changed after the merger.

I think when the scheme began they actually wanted the real estate. Back then many malls were doing well and KMart still had a number of good suburban locations. The 2008 great recession accelerated the decline of retail sales in general and that of big box department stores in particular. Worse, that and Amazon and Target and Walmart sped the decline of enclosed shopping centers (malls) reducing the value of Sears real estate holdings. After that it became an exercise in dismantling: license Kenmore to other stores; sell of Die Hard; sell Craftsman to Stanley; etc. As of now the remaining pickings are pretty slim.

But, those hulks can set empty for years or decades. The RE taxes and minimum required maintenance are just expenses and the RE business is one large tax write off. So, there they set.........empty. A massive speed bump to any development in that part of town

But, those hulks can set empty for years or decades. The RE taxes and minimum required maintenance are just expenses and the RE business is one large tax write off. So, there they set.........empty. A massive speed bump to any development in that part of town

Tell me. :) I made a good living for 30 years as a City Planner specializing in the redevelopment of dilapidated properties.

Tell me. :) I made a good living for 30 years as a City Planner specializing in the redevelopment of dilapidated properties.

Yep, how many state/federal grants will it take to buy somebody's eyesore, clear it and then market it someone at an attractive price. Few folks understand how hard some communities work to make the "invisible hand" of the free market actually do something......

Not always. Ask Eddie Lambert.

From Wikipedia:
'In 2001, Lampert married Kinga Keh, an attorney with whom he has three children. They own houses in Indian Creek Village, Florida, in Aspen, Colorado (designed by the interior designer Naomi Leff), and in Greenwich, Connecticut (designed by the architect Michael Dwyer and the interior designer Rose Tarlow). The couple are active members of their local Chabad house.

Lampert is the owner of the 87.78 m (288 ft) motor luxury yacht named Fountainhead[ '

My comment: He does not seem to be that bad off.

Last edited:
Olympia Motosports Clothing

Folks, I received an email from Revzilla saying they now have stock of Airglide 4 pants in my size. Which I promptly ordered.
I am also very pleased with the quality of Olympia clothing. Have two jackets and now one pair pants.

Hope they stick around for awhile longer, albeit with new ownership.

Stay safe, ride safe.

Motovan is a Canadian distributor of motorcycle goods, should have nothing to do with Olympia's manufacturing, they just need a distributor unless you can buy direct. Motovan is like a mini Parts USA or Parts Canada, the major distributor of motorcycle supplies......
Anyway, my prediction is Motovan will live on in Canada no further update on the availability of Olympia gear in Canada or the USA,

Motovan%20Update-XL.jpg

Back