• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What's with Olympia?

I am trying to buy some Olympia Airglide4 pants but there seems to be none to be had. Is this a problem with the Olympia company or just a result of the COVID problems nationwide? It seems there are other brands available from the various websites I looked on.
Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to the Olympia Airglides? I want a full-length outside leg zipper and prefer well vented pants as it gets hot here in So. Tx.
Thanks.

Olympia sold to Motovan in 2015. Olympia’s problems stem from a bankrupt parent that was very mismanaged and became extremely cash-poor while the debt went through the roof.

An alternative could be RevIt Airwave pants. I recently bought a set of RevIt Airwave 3 jacket and pants from RevZilla. I really like them so far. Very good airflow, true fit, good construction quality and armor. The pants are easy to get in and out of and have a long zipper on each leg. I matched them with the TCX Street Ace Air Shoes- like those too.

Between the silver/black RevIt gear and grey TCX boots, I like to think I have a little bit of an Even Knievel vibe going (or maybe Elvis :scratch)... I just need a cape.:laugh In any event, the light colors don't heat up and the gear flows lots of air- I like them for commuting around Houston.

:beer

I inquired about Olympia through MotorcycleGear.com who disposes of a lot of overstocks in our world.

Here is what their email reply said:

Hello John,

Yes, Motovan did file for bankruptcy last year. They did liquidate the US distribution company, MTA Distributing, and closed their doors in March. Currently, Olympia is still being offered from Motonvan in Canada but it is no longer offered here in the US. The last time we spoke with them they said the future of Olympia is still up in the air. If they do bring it back to the US it is not going to happen any time soon. I am sure that all this COVID-19 stuff is having an impact on Motovan's plans to come out of bankruptcy as well so we are not holding out much hope for Olympia at this time.

Sincerely,

Aaron
Motorcycle Gear
www.motorcyclegear.com
806-832-5190

With the current financial climate here in the USA I'd not be betting on Olympia making a quick return.

Bummer. I really liked Olympia when it was run by the husband and wife team years ago. My current jacket is an Olympia that I purchased last year at a good price. Still good quality.

Bummer. I really liked Olympia when it was run by the husband and wife team years ago. My current jacket is an Olympia that I purchased last year at a good price. Still good quality.

Like you, I picked up a last generation Ranger Vent jacket in HiViz for around $140. Good cold weather jacket in HiViz.

I agree. I have an old Olympia Phantom suit, well over 10 years old, and it's still structurally sound. I sealed the arm vents, and give it a spray of Camp Dry every year.

I hardly wear it anymore as my commute has shortened, but it was my go to suit for years, and will be again if I get another job with a longer commute.

I am trying to buy some Olympia Airglide4 pants but there seems to be none to be had. Is this a problem with the Olympia company or just a result of the COVID problems nationwide? It seems there are other brands available from the various websites I looked on.
Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative to the Olympia Airglides? I want a full-length outside leg zipper and prefer well vented pants as it gets hot here in So. Tx.
Thanks.

Have you looked at Motoport's Air Mesh? Not cheap, but great quality

I had not heard about the situation with Olympia until I saw this thread and am very disappointed as I have worn Olympia gear for many years and found it very well designed and constructed. I met the original owners at an MOA rally years ago and they seemed like very good people. Very sad.

"Bummer" is right

Olympia was the first and only gear I wore. Sure hope they come back as they had great products.
I love current business practice, or what seems to be the practice now. Take a good company and drive it into the ground.
I'll stop whining now.
Thanks for the information.

Last edited:
Sounds like some of you may know or have met owners. Send them a link to this thread...... Let them know the thoughts.
I have been happy with my Olympia gear as well.
OM

Olympia was the first and only gear I wore. Sure hope they come back as they had great products.
I love current business practice, or what seems to be the practice now. Take a good company and drive it into the ground.
I'll stop whining now.
Thanks for the information.

Although I see cases where it happens that someone buys a company and either hollows it out or mismanages it to death, I think that shout of evidence of such things in this case, we have to recognize that the motorcycle accessories market is extremely tough, and has been since 2009. That's about when U.S. motorcycles sales dropped in half, and have never recovered. There is no shortage of people making bike riding gear, and many of them with numerous besides just clothing.

It is called vulture capitalism (more formally venture capitalism but the former better describes it). It happens on a grand scale and a small scale but it happens every day. Buy up a company. Dismantle it. Sell off assets. Pocket the profits and proceed to the next victim. To see it on a grand scale study the recent dismantling of Sears. Sell off Kenmore. Sell off Craftsman. Close stores. And on and on. We have seen it with several BMW dealerships too.

I too am just learning of this now in this thread and I am SUPER-bummed! I have Olympia gear for all seasons and LOVED the great balance of price and quality- too good to be true for very long I guess.

It is called vulture capitalism (more formally venture capitalism but the former better describes it). It happens on a grand scale and a small scale but it happens every day. Buy up a company. Dismantle it. Sell off assets. Pocket the profits and proceed to the next victim. To see it on a grand scale study the recent dismantling of Sears. Sell off Kenmore. Sell off Craftsman. Close stores. And on and on. We have seen it with several BMW dealerships too.

Sears was dying before the sell off began. It was an attempt to bring in capital and save it, much too late.

I find the history of Sears ironic. The business was built on mail order, and partially killed off by the internet, which is nothing more than a modern, electronic version of mail order. What does Amazon do that any large retailer could not have done, except lacking vision.

Sears was dying before the sell off began. It was an attempt to bring in capital and save it, much too late.

I find the history of Sears ironic. The business was built on mail order, and partially killed off by the internet, which is nothing more than a modern, electronic version of mail order. What does Amazon do that any large retailer could not have done, except lacking vision.

Yep, Amazon is following the lead of Sears, K-mart, Walmart. Someday, someone will replace Amazon.

I remember waiting for Cycle, Cycle World or the Owners News to see the current price for gear. Now, I do a web search and, possibly, even purchase from overseas.

Back