• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW Updateable Service Manual and Windows 10

I bought the BMW DVD Service Manual for my R1250RS and it doesn't seem to play well with Windows 10. I can run it from the DVD drive but not from the internal hard drive. Running from the hard drive it will open and as soon as I try to open a page of the manual it shuts down and the "Repair_Manual" application disappears. Tried running the updates and still the same thing.

Dusted off my old Windows 7 machine and it seems to work fine there. Performed the updates and everything.

Would really like to get it running from the hard drive on my Widows 10 laptop, which doesn't have a built in DVD drive.

Anybody have any ideas.

Thanks

Mike

This morning tried compatibility modes (both 7 and 8) ran it as admin, even revoked the license and reauthorized it. Still fails when I try to run from hard drive.

You copied the DVD over to a NTFS formatted hard drive?

Yes

Don't forget to de-authorize that activation code before windoze has an update. You only get a few of them....

This one states that it is unlimited

Did you copy it or install it? Best to install.

Haven't found an install, there is an "Copy_Repair_Manuals.exe" and "Repair_Manuals.exe". Along with an autorun.inf that doesn't seem to do anything, paul.dll and a folder Repair_Manuals

If you don't find a solution, you could create an image disk in ISO format and save that to your hard drive.
When you select it in windows file manager, you will have the option to mount the disk. You can then run it as if running from the DVD.

If you don't find a solution, you could create an image disk in ISO format and save that to your hard drive.
When you select it in windows file manager, you will have the option to mount the disk. You can then run it as if running from the DVD.

I actually already tried that with mine and could not get it to run. Have not figured out why yet since I rarely use that machine for that purpose.

I’d try turning off your AV/malware protection then re-running the "Copy_Repair_Manuals.exe" application. I suspect your AV software is not getting along with one or more files that are being copied so has skipped or quarantined the file(s). And since opening a particular section of the manual spawns a new process, it’s also possible that action may be getting squashed. But first, try the copy again with AV turned off.

Best,
DeVern

I’d try turning off your AV/malware protection then re-running the "Copy_Repair_Manuals.exe" application. I suspect your AV software is not getting along with one or more files that are being copied so has skipped or quarantined the file(s). And since opening a particular section of the manual spawns a new process, it’s also possible that action may be getting squashed. But first, try the copy again with AV turned off.

That seems to be the problem. After you asked what antivirus I was running I looked at the log. The number of threats McAfee claimed to stop was pretty much how many times I tried to copy and run the repair manual.

Just tried with the AV off and it worked. Turned the AV back on and it stopped.

Not sure if there is a way around that.

Thanks

Mike

That seems to be the problem. After you asked what antivirus I was running I looked at the log. The number of threats McAfee claimed to stop was pretty much how many times I tried to copy and run the repair manual.

Just tried with the AV off and it worked. Turned the AV back on and it stopped.

Not sure if there is a way around that.

Thanks

Mike

You can add an exception so AV doesn’t scan anything in those folders

Happened to Me Too!

Best,
DeVern

DeVern-
Good call, had the same thing happen to me! Just got a new Windows 11 machine and wanted to install the "Updateable Repair Manuals R Models K5X K50/12, K51/11" DVD. The new machine came with McAfee protection suite, I copied the contents of the DVD over to a directory on the new machine and every time I tried running the Repair_Manuals.exe file it looked like it was doing nothing and the file disappeared from the directory. Looks like McAfee was moving it to a quarantine area to be deleted on restart. Had other issues with its firewall too. Friggin virus software, going to get rid of it and just use the Windows Defender!

Back