• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Locked out of my tool kit

wenas

I inherited a ‘95 R1100GS from my good friend who left it with one key that fits everything but the rear seat tool compartment. Does anyone have an idea how to break in and remove/replace the rear lock mechanism? I’d take it to the locksmith but it won’t be road ready for another month and everything is closed because of the virus.

Welcome to the forum!
Is there a chance it’s just gummed up and stuck from lack of use? Spray with WD-40 and see if it loosens up a bit.
Good luck.
Gary

Try pushing down on the end of rear seat as you work the key. To much pressure on the latch my prevent it to swing to the unlock position. Good luck!

Try pushing down on the end of rear seat as you work the key. To much pressure on the latch my prevent it to swing to the unlock position. Good luck!

What he said! Exact behavior of my bike. And pushing down on the back of the rear seat as you turn the key helps.

The seat/toolbox latch mechanism on the R1100GS is a bit fragile. If you can remove the seat, then you are at least succeeding with the unlocking part and all you need to get past is the latching part. With the seat off, when you turn the key can you see the front seat latch moving? That's the same part that releases the toolbox lid. if you push down on the toolbox lid, maybe you can work the latch to release the lid? Otherwise you might have to remove the silver tail section to access the latch mechanism.

Thanks all. Tried it all, except the bigger hammer, but no joy. The lock appears to be well oiled and feels more like it’s just the wrong key rather than frozen. I hate digging in too deep until I know a little more about how this model is put together. I’ll find a good locksmith when it’s a little safer to get out in public and see what they can do.
At least I can still ride without getting under the seat.
Stay safe out there, wash your hands and keep your distance.

Can you remove the front seat? If not, then maybe you need to press down on IT to allow the latch to move. It comes off with the exact same key movement as removing the rear seat or toolbox cover (whichever is installed).

At some point you may want to fill in your profile a bit. That way if you are close to someone with experience you could get some help.
OM

Back