• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 r1200rt - Hard start after washing?

thumpower

Whenever I wash the bike, it has to crank and crank and crank, and when it does start, i smell gas, like it was flooded. Every start after that is fine. Anybody else experiencing this?

Whenever I wash the bike, it has to crank and crank and crank, and when it does start, i smell gas, like it was flooded. Every start after that is fine. Anybody else experiencing this?

You are somehow getting water on ignition parts causing a lack of or intermittent spark. This partially floods the engine and when it does start you are smelling the extra rich exhaust.

I'm always careful to never use the high-pressure water when washing the bike - I just want to get it wet, not try to blast anything off....

YMMV,
Ski

washing bike

I have not had to worry bout spraying down a bike since the 70's dirt bikes. Every bike I have had since then has been apparently impervious to the water hose. I would think they could do better than this

I have not had to worry bout spraying down a bike since the 70's dirt bikes. Every bike I have had since then has been apparently impervious to the water hose. I would think they could do better than this

Well then, think specifically where you are spraying that might effect spark to the spark plugs. This is not a typical problem so something is abnormal. Maybe around a stick coil not firmly seated. Or elsewhere where water will affect ignition. Then maybe do a test with a spray bottle to identify the location. Troubleshoot.

I have a 2016 and have never had an issue.

A couple of times a year I use a garden hose with a nozzle and that has been plenty of pressure, but starting has not been a problem. The other times that I give the bike a quick cleanup, I use a bucket of warm water and a cloth to wipe it down.

I had a similar issue a couple of times (minus the gas odours). Turned out that one of the switches on the dash had corroded wires and that shorted everything out until the wires dried out.

I had a similar issue a couple of times (minus the gas odours). Turned out that one of the switches on the dash had corroded wires and that shorted everything out until the wires dried out.

Good point; thum, you should try washing it and avoiding getting the dash wet. If it solves the problem you can begin checking those switches and connections.

Do you have the same problem after riding in a heavy rain?

It ain't normal!
I have washed my '14 at high pressure car washes when on the road more than a few times. Never gentle with the water hose at home, beyond I cannot bring myself to blast away too much at the dash ( especially speakers ). Never had a problem with starting. And yes, I will flog myself after posting this for the use of the high pressure. To appease those that know better.....
I would first inspect the spark plug covers and make sure the coil is seated properly.

Back