• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Switchback LED Bulbs

pgm944

2004 R1150RT with Kisan Signal Minder with clear front turn signal lenses.
Has anyone used a switchback LED bulb with a signal minder?

I was hoping that using the running light function on the signal minder with a switchback LED bulb would give me what I want - a wide, white running light and then amber turn signal. Since a switchback bulb replaces a 1157 (two filaments), I don't know if bridging a wire or diode across the bulb leads will work or if I have to ditch the signal minder function and run a second wire.

Any insights?

Here is the type of bulb I am talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Extremely-Chipsets-Switchback/dp/B00RV46YBC

First off, if your '04 RT still has the stock setup, the base of that Amazon bulb is wrong. But if you're wanting to change it anyway, that's not an issue.

A lot of people believe that amber running lights up front may actually make you more visible - in that it makes you "different" from the other lights.

Since LEDs by themselves draw less current, they usually speed up the flashing rate. So that load resistor (as mentioned in the Amazon ad) is hooked up in parallel with the bulb (on the brighter filament's wiring) so the flasher sees the "incandescent" load.
The ad says the resistor is 6 ohms (and rated at 50 watts). A 6 ohm resistor at 12 volts will suck up 2 amps (and dissipate that as 24 watts of waste heat). According to a Sylvania chart, the 1157 and 2057 "major" (brighter) filament draws 2.1 amps (the 2357 is 2.23 amps), so that jives, but you have not gained anything except the instant on-off action of a LED (and maybe longer bulb life if they're made well).

If the LED dies while out on the road (and where else would it?), how easily can you get a new replacement in there?

So, why bother swapping parts around for no significant gain? I've installed dual-filament sockets in my '04 RT (with amber lenses), with 1157LL ("long life") bulbs, hooked up the smaller filament to the parking light wire, and it works fine. I used the sockets that have the wide springy fingers, but use care which ones go in here: some are appreciably longer than what will comfortably fit.

Also, to add a little more brightness there, I've carefully pried apart the lens assembly itself - two little straight-blade screwdrivers and slow & careful patience will do it without damage. Note that the stock inner "reflector" is just some sort-of shiny silver paint. I've lined that piece with white reflective tape and it makes an appreciable difference.

LED bulbs

First off, if your '04 RT still has the stock setup, the base of that Amazon bulb is wrong. But if you're wanting to change it anyway, that's not an issue.

A lot of people believe that amber running lights up front may actually make you more visible - in that it makes you "different" from the other lights.

Since LEDs by themselves draw less current, they usually speed up the flashing rate. So that load resistor (as mentioned in the Amazon ad) is hooked up in parallel with the bulb (on the brighter filament's wiring) so the flasher sees the "incandescent" load.
The ad says the resistor is 6 ohms (and rated at 50 watts). A 6 ohm resistor at 12 volts will suck up 2 amps (and dissipate that as 24 watts of waste heat). According to a Sylvania chart, the 1157 and 2057 "major" (brighter) filament draws 2.1 amps (the 2357 is 2.23 amps), so that jives, but you have not gained anything except the instant on-off action of a LED (and maybe longer bulb life if they're made well).

If the LED dies while out on the road (and where else would it?), how easily can you get a new replacement in there?

So, why bother swapping parts around for no significant gain? I've installed dual-filament sockets in my '04 RT (with amber lenses), with 1157LL ("long life") bulbs, hooked up the smaller filament to the parking light wire, and it works fine. I used the sockets that have the wide springy fingers, but use care which ones go in here: some are appreciably longer than what will comfortably fit.

Also, to add a little more brightness there, I've carefully pried apart the lens assembly itself - two little straight-blade screwdrivers and slow & careful patience will do it without damage. Note that the stock inner "reflector" is just some sort-of shiny silver paint. I've lined that piece with white reflective tape and it makes an appreciable difference.

I switched my 04 RT signals to LED bulbs and had no issues without adding resistors. The Kisan does not rely on the electrical load to determine pulse rate. I actually put red LEDs in the rear Amber signals to give me additional rear running light that are red. The setup works great.

the stock inner "reflector" is just some sort-of shiny silver paint. I've lined that piece with white reflective tape and it makes an appreciable difference.
Thank you, this is brilliant! (double ententre intended) Seriously, why have I not heard of or thought of this before? I may do this even if the coating is still shiny.

First off, if your '04 RT still has the stock setup, the base of that Amazon bulb is wrong.
-
This was just an example of a "switchback" bulb, in case folks did not know that I was asking about. I am still not sure of the wiring or "use case" for this bulb.

Agreed - I was going to add vertical LED DRL-light to the front fork. I wanted to keep the front a "white" broad light bar, with amber offset downward - until I use my blinker, then both the regular and bar would blink in unison. Ah well, not sure I will be able to achieve that, but amber-amber should look great as well.

DENALI Electronics makes a a nice vertical DRL-light which can be dimmed and/or used with CANbus:
https://denalielectronics.com/collections/all-lighting/products/dnl-drl-10000-w

No, he says that he has them hooked up as additional running lights (probably connected to the tail light wire), so they do not blink.
I have done this too - I have a set of the Run-N-Lites rectangular 8-LED modules inside of my rear turn signal assemblies, at the upper outboard corners, connected as running lights AND additional brake lights. Looks stock on the outside. I don't see my part listed on their web page any more, but they're similar to their #51011 but more "rectangular" and blocky. I'd think that the 51011 would do the same thing.
I also had their #52001 in the rear of my old R1100RT.

Didn't know that about the Kisan... cool! (also viewed in other thread)

I wish I could take apart the center of the brake light area - and get that white reflective tape in there too... Anybody have any ideas here? (It's already a dual filament.)

I wish I could take apart the center of the brake light area - and get that white reflective tape in there too... Anybody have any ideas here? (It's already a dual filament.)

If it's ultrasonically welded (typical of integral taillamp units in automotive), your only choice is a lot of patience with a soldering iron, a sharp knife to gently separate the lens from the body. To combine, I have used 3M's 5200 marine adhesive.

I just wish I thought of using reflective tape over the sputtered chrome reflector coating. :banghead

Back