• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Shed some light please...

motorrod

Hi,
I have a 2004 RT and have installed a Kisan Signal minder which is set to have all 4 signal lights on to improve conspicuity. In my jurisdiction, it is illegal to have any colour but red continuously on at the rear of the vehicle. Amber turn signals are OK not tail lamps. Since my turn signals are now doubling as tail lamps, I would like to turn the red. My research has indicated that if I install red LED bulbs in place of the white rear turn signal bulbs, the visible light at the rear will be red.
Anyone have any experience with a similar colour issue?
Thanks

This is a red LED behind an amber lens. The camera does not correctly show what the human eye sees.
It actually appears as red behind the amber.
I'd try it.

Attachments

• IMGP6053_resize.JPG
    IMGP6053_resize.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMGP6057_resize.JPG
    IMGP6057_resize.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 161
Conspicuity is great, but...

I have the Signal Minder on my '04 RT and turned the 'running light' feature off because when the brakes are activated the front turn signals increase in intensity in conjunction with the rear signals and may cause oncoming left-turners to believe that you are giving them right-of-way. There is no convenient way to separate the rear and front turn signal wiring to prevent the front turn signals from doing this.

A couple of years ago I made some enquiries about changing the amber LEDs in the available aftermarket LED tail light assemblies to red LEDs, but the sources were vague about the feasibility of doing so. I believe it's doable, if one has the electronic capability and can get the assembly apart without damage. At a cost of a couple of hundred dollars, though, I'm not willing to experiment yet, although my OEM tail light assembly should be replaced because of minor cracking.

Also, after discussions with Admore Lighting I chose to err on the side of caution when connecting their brake/turn-signal rear light bar to the factory tail light wiring, as they sequence their turn signals like the old Ford Thunderbirds and I didn't want to mess that up with the Pulse Width Modulated signal that the Signal Minder supplies to the turn signal circuits when using the 'running light' feature.

For frontal conspicuity I run the fogs all the time, high beam on bright sunny days and also have a couple of Princess Auto LED work lights on the tipover bars.

We have the Kisan units on several 1100/1150's and have never seen this change in intensity:scratch

Will go look again as we use them all the time set on high. None used the brake light option tap, just plug-n-play for running light and self cancelling.

They used to make clear lenses for most models, but had trouble sourcing some recently for replacements. Wondered if patent issue caused that. Clear Alternatives was the company I recall.

The red bulb does change it enough, though on two trips to Canada on her 1150 running amber , we never were stopped...and we crossed paths with RCMP and locals regularly:dunno

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I like having the signal lamps lit up so I'm going to give the red LEDs a whirl. I've never been stopped by police but I also don't need to give them an excuse to stop me either.
It's -20C here today so I won't be changing anything soon or riding soon either. The road salt is so bad that my red car is white and it's too cold to wash it...

I had the Kissan unit on my R1150R. I eventually turned off the running light function because the continuous current through the cheesy bulbs would erode the bulb contacts and socket contacts too. But I really liked the self cancel feature for the turn signals which eliminated some spousal criticism. :)

I had the Kissan unit on my R1150R. I eventually turned off the running light function because the continuous current through the cheesy bulbs would erode the bulb contacts and socket contacts too. But I really liked the self cancel feature for the turn signals which eliminated some spousal criticism. :)

You get that too, do you......

Hi,
I have a 2004 RT and have installed a Kisan Signal minder which is set to have all 4 signal lights on to improve conspicuity. In my jurisdiction, it is illegal to have any colour but red continuously on at the rear of the vehicle. Amber turn signals are OK not tail lamps. Since my turn signals are now doubling as tail lamps, I would like to turn the red. My research has indicated that if I install red LED bulbs in place of the white rear turn signal bulbs, the visible light at the rear will be red.
Anyone have any experience with a similar colour issue? Thanks

:wave I've been using the Kisan system in London, ON on my R1100RT for at least the past six years with no LEOs bringing the legality of this to my attention. Last year I added a second set of driving lights to my K and once again, no conversations with the London police or the OPP for this violation.

I have not been using LED bulbs.

Of course your results may vary. :)

Cheers!

Back