• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K75 mpg

2slowwheels

Thinking of picking up a low mileage (35K) K75RT. What kind of mileage do most of you get on the road at 75mph? Is the early ABS mostly trouble free? Thanks

I got a 1990 K75 RT
I get about the same mpg Paul says
When its over about 90f ambient temp thou I don't like to ride it , to much motor heat for me.
In the cooler months thou its is SOOO Nice!
Love that machine!!
Reliable and very low maintenance.

The heat issue is true of the RT. Not so much on the S model or the standard model with no fairing - just a windshield.

Is that Imperial or American mph, Walter? :)

I used American miles per gallon as most of the readers here are American. Imperial mpg is about 61.4 for you Canadians. Or how I actually refer to fuel consmption, 4.6 liters per 100 kms.

I used American miles per gallon as most of the readers here are American. Imperial mpg is about 61.4 for you Canadians. Or how I actually refer to fuel consmption, 4.6 liters per 100 kms.

I wish that my K100 or R1100's 48 (Imperial) mpg could come close to what you get on your K75, Walter. I had a choice of two K RTs and I do regret not buying the K75.

I wish that my K100 or R1100's 48 (Imperial) mpg could come close to what you get on your K75, Walter. I had a choice of two K RTs and I do regret not buying the K75.

I'm also running a 750 cc engine and yours are bigger. You may also be a faster rider than I am.

Stats from my 1995 K75S

Miles 61,316
Cost $4,088.01
Gallons 1,507.348
Miles Per Gallon 40.70
Price Per Gallon $2.71
Cost Per Fillup $8.34
Miles Per Fillup 125
Gallons Per Fillup 3.076
Litres 5,705.329
Kilometers 98,679
Kilometers Per Litre 17.300

MPG did go up slightly after I had the injectors cleaned by Mr. Injector. I had the Aeroflow windshield and extender as well as top box installed, so I'm sure that cut down on mileage some.

This bike had done quite a bit at 70+ mph including a 48/10, SS2000, BBS, multiple SS1000's, and then was a part of the MN record ride.

I'm also running a 750 cc engine and yours are bigger. You may also be a faster rider than I am.

After a couple of years of ownership, I noticed a decrease in fuel mileage. Shortly after that, I installed a Fuel Plus computer that showed among many things, my actual consumption as used in real time. It turns out that my right wrist leaving from a stop was the cause of the decrease in fuel mileage. I have since rectified that problem. :laugh:laugh

Stats from my 1995 K75S

Miles 61,316
Cost $4,088.01
Gallons 1,507.348
Miles Per Gallon 40.70
Price Per Gallon $2.71
Cost Per Fillup $8.34
Miles Per Fillup 125
Gallons Per Fillup 3.076
Litres 5,705.329
Kilometers 98,679
Kilometers Per Litre 17.300

MPG did go up slightly after I had the injectors cleaned by Mr. Injector. I had the Aeroflow windshield and extender as well as top box installed, so I'm sure that cut down on mileage some.

This bike had done quite a bit at 70+ mph including a 48/10, SS2000, BBS, multiple SS1000's, and then was a part of the MN record ride.

Although I have kept all fuel receipts, your recording far exceeds mine. :thumb

My bike does not have a fuel gauge but like you, I keep track of the kilometres per litre for refuelling. For both my bikes, I average about 16 kilometres per litre. Hence, after 200 kilometres on the K100 I like to fill up again between that number and 250, just before the reserve light comes on. The furthest that I have travelled on one tank of gas on my K100 is 308 km. The bike is currently a few kilometres short of 268,000.

I don't know about yours' and Walter's bikes, but when the reserve light does come on between 250 - 270 km (and there should still be a fair amount of gas left in the bike), it does not like to go too far with out fresh fuel as within a short distance, it fails to continue to run smoothly (especially if there are any hills involved). This is has never been the case with my R1100RT when the reserve light comes on.

Does anyone else experience this roughness after the reserve light comes on with their Brick? :confused:

Does anyone else experience this roughness after the reserve light comes on with their Brick? :confused:

You may have a temperamental/almost failing fuel pump.

Since the fuel pump is cooled by the gas, or what's left of it after running the tank down, I rarely ran my gas tank farther than when the low fuel light warning came on. As you probably know, the K-bike fuel tank and fuel can get quite hot as it circulates throughout the system. Low fuel around the pump means they aren't running very cool.

After blasting across South Dakota once with the temps in the low 100's, I was able to see fuel vapors evaporating out of the overflow tube... it's no wonder I had such bad gas mileage... :brad

Back