• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Phone charging cord in Glovebox of 2011 RT

bavluvr

Just took a rip to Reno and I plugged my iphone into the charger cord in the glovebox of my 2011 RT. It doesn't work. I looked in the Rider's manual, no help there. The manual doesn't even tell where the fuses are located! Does anyone know why this cord may not be working? Thanks

The manual doesn't talk about fuses because there aren't any. The electrical system can handle shorts and reset circuits when the short is cleared.

Sorry I can't help with RT specifics on your charger question. Did you test out the cord and make verify that the USB end of the cord was correctly aligned? Some USB A ports will allow the plug to be inserted incorrectly and a socket stashed in a dash pocket seems like it might be hard to see the correct orientation.

If it's a cord that you bought just for the bike it may not be an approved Apple cord, some after market cords will not work. I ran into this after the the 5 series of phones.

Is this cord intended to charge phones or to read a USB media device with music files. My RT has a short cord in the right side storage compartment with USB connector. That is to read music files and to my knowledge does not supply current for phone charging. Any chance your bike has an audio system that would play MP3 files?

That USB port is for streaming audio files not charging phones. I do plug in and use it when I use my phone for navigating but I need to shut off the screen between long stretches. It can only supply enough current to slow down the discharge rate (2 or 3 percent per hour). It can only charge the phone when the screen is off and even then at a very low rate.

I am planning to tap into the GPS power port behind the headlight and run that to a proper charging USB port but so far I just haven't needed to do it.

Perhaps that USB port is a direct link to the "Bitch Moan Whine" division of Motorrad USA? Aren't there lots of other power outlets to charge your phone on the bike? :dunno

Friedle
thankful for the long battery life of my Fischer Price flip phone

Is there a cord or device that can add in the charging voltage to a data signal? You know, like a cord that adds the power in?

Apple in their proprietary ways requires the use of their charging cords on the iPhones, there is an additional logic pin in there and non approved cords won't work. ( I get an error message on phone that says cord not approved) Amazon carries approved short and long cords.
Try using a cord that charges the phone at home and see if you get a charging indicator on the phone when you use the outlet from the bike.

There are several alternatives to add a power cord to the glovebox. USB, Powerlet, etc. You can have a fuse, and wire it to the battery. I ran mine under the gas tank, and drilled the proper sized hole in the glovebox.

Is this cord intended to charge phones or to read a USB media device with music files. My RT has a short cord in the right side storage compartment with USB connector. That is to read music files and to my knowledge does not supply current for phone charging. Any chance your bike has an audio system that would play MP3 files?

Yep,

I have a 64GB USB stick with MP3 files on it attached to the USB port. I don't think the USB port provides any charge. You can get a Powerlet to USB adapter to use.

Ski

I don't know about the RT but on the GTL the USB connector does provide power, at least enough to keep an Ipod charged.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Back