• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1991 K100RS how to disconnect electrical connector from Motronic control unit

littledog

I am replacing the battery on my 1991 K100RS. One of the first steps, according to my Clymer manual, is to disconnect the electrical connector from the Motronic control unit by pressing a catch on the left hand (I believe they mean front) of the unit. I think I located the catch, but can't figure out how to release it. I'm afraid I'm going to break something. Any tricks to this procedure?

If you have a standard seat model, you have a tool tray above the fuel injection control unit.

Remove the mudguard (the hard plastic cover) over the plug on the left(shifter side) of the computer box. Just pull it straght out.
Remove lid of tool tray.
Take all the junk out of the tool tray.
Locate the hole in the bottom of the tool tray.
Look in hole. You will see a chrome tab.
Insert a screwdriver into hole forward (front of bike) of the tab.
Gently pry the tab towards the rear of bike (less than 1/4") while pulling straight out on the right end of plug (the end with the cable on it).
The left end of the plug has a hook that will release once you pull the right end of the plug out far enough.

When reinstalling the plug in the computer, hold the back side of the computer while pushing on the plug. Make SURE you hear the tab snap onto the plug. Otherwise , a loose plug can cause the bike to stall (at the most inopertune time).

:dance:dance:dance

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, Lee. Clymer did't address the location of the release tab very well. I had no toolbox in the way, so the release tab was easily visible once I knew where to look. The connector popped right off , no problem.

If your bike didn't have the tool tray, it must have had the lift off low seat instead of the standard hinged seat.

:dance:dance:dance

Back