• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OK, now you're obsolete...

I see your point that automation minimizes the rider input. On the plus side, BMW (and I suppose others) are taking a long technology strides and then bring to market usable components.

Traction control on my car takes away my burn outs but then again during regular driving prevents my Lambo from fish tailing into a curb. I am hearing people really like their bikes with TC. ABS, for me a requirement for panic stops. As a new rider, thank you BMW for putting it on my 2003 K1200GT years before other companies.

Balancing as seen on the video? Not sure but probably a good idea for me on curves. I tend to look down instead of through the curve.

So my point is, if biking is to be a growing sport, new features are needed to attract the youth and new riders. Embrace the new components.

Not being able to feel various inputs/outputs of how any vehicle being driven/ridden seems more a hazard. Getting vehicle going, mash this or that control, hey!, I didn't crash! Cool! Automatic this and that, and yes, we're headed for autonomous controls. Or, artificial intelligent control. AIC. Or, you can't have a decent rewarding communication with a mechanical machine. Baby steps at first. Finally, the perfect ride?

Both my bikes have a different feel, braking, accelerating, cornering, shifting, seating, exhaust, bars, mirrors, and then the appearance, not mention the visceral. OMG, the day I give up any of that, guess I don't ride anymore. But that's OK, because we had a hellova ride and we're lucky to have lived when we did. I particularly love the AMA commercial showing a youngster finding a ratty old Honda 90 up in a barn and his grandpappy showing him some stuff. Sentimental for sure, but poingnant beyond truth. Reminded me of my first scoot down a farm path on the doodlebug, and figgering out how to hold it wide open, before mashing the brakes and dragging the feet. AIC? Didn't need it.

When it reaches this point, it will no longer be "riding" and would be pointless. Also, looking down in a curve is not good. :)

jrmull……….simple rule of thumb for street riding...….look down, fall down. Keep your eyes on the horizon for balance, speed control and directional control.

Friedle

Despite what everybody teaches we all look down from time to time, and riders who deny that are not paying attention or are kidding themselves. It is a reflex when we don't trust the pavement condition. Ride much on two-letter roads in Missouri and you will know what I mean. Here in Texas the term "oil patch" means the Permian Basis in the vicinity of Mudland-Slowdeatha. In Missouri it means what they slopped into a pothole in the highway.

That said, it is a bad habit that needs to be fought.

Uncle, I'm getting called out regarding curve skills. :) It is not true, I never look down on a curve these days. ok, it happened just a few times. Once during the driver license test. That was a bit wobbly but still made it though without crashing.

So back to BMW automation. Think about it, a new automated bike would have let me ace the test first time instead of retaking it over and over and over.

All those youth riders that could take the test and pass it. More riders, more bikes, more clubs, more memberships. Today kids are scared of the test and give up.

Ride safe fellows !

Uncle, I'm getting called out regarding curve skills. :) It is not true, I never look down on a curve these days. ok, it happened just a few times. Once during the driver license test. That was a bit wobbly but still made it though without crashing.

So back to BMW automation. Think about it, a new automated bike would have let me ace the test first time instead of retaking it over and over and over.

All those youth riders that could take the test and pass it. More riders, more bikes, more clubs, more memberships. Today kids are scared of the test and give up.

Ride safe fellows !

You're kind of missing the point here. Learn to properly ride the bike, not just sit on the bike trusting it to take you where you want to go. There is really no reason not to take some sort of motorcycle training. If cost is a deterrent, investigate the Paul B. grants from the MOA Foundation. I am NOT in favor of the motorcycle taking the test. I want the operator to pass the test. I don't need to see more motorcycle riders on the road guided by blind luck. The person they run into might be me !

Friedle

It's ok to pull your chain some. :) Illinois has some really good motorcycle classes at Harper College. For $20, beginner / intermediate / advanced. Recommend.

Back to BMW's advanced technology. Here are our future riders. This is why iBike and automation is needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0W8p9Pc7VUQ

With BMW only selling 6,000 big bikes in the US 2018, BMW needs an edge over HD, Honda and Yamaha. I didn't buy a 2003 K1200GT to go 150 mph, but for the ABS and Telelever suspension. Ability to stay upright. The technology.

And check this out, a seasoned rider looking down. He had to see what kind of mess he got in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NUPKQBv4pk

Many years ago a moto-journalist writing for an LA-based motorcycle magazine admitted in an article that an instructor at a riding course admonished him for looking down too much. Not long afterwards that writer was killed in a motorcycle wreck on a curvy California road, maybe Mulholland Drive. That really stuck in my mind, since looking down is very likely what got him.

Always best to learn from others' mistakes, rather than your own.

That is an extremely dangerous fault in your riding. Eliminate that before you get hurt.

For street riding in spirited fashion thru curves I will always very briefly glance down thru curves in order to assess for road hazards/debris in time to alter my path thru the curve. I think if you're talking controlled conditions in a track setting at high speeds you may well not be able to afford to glance down but again that is the track. What's an extremely dangerous fault in anyones' riding is riding like they are on the track while on the street.

Last edited:
For street riding in spirited fashion thru curves I will always very briefly glance down thru curves in order to assess for road hazards/debris in time to alter my path thru the curve. I think if you're talking controlled conditions in a track setting at high speeds you may well not be able to afford to glance down but again that is the track. What's an extremely dangerous fault in anyones' riding is riding like they are on the track while on the street.[/QUOTE

Watching the horizon, you can still see the ground in front of you. Looking down at the ground limits how far in front you can see. Try looking down at your phone while you are texting and walking. See how long it takes to walk off the sidewalk into traffic.

Now add speed into the equation. For a rough value of distance covered at speed, take the given speed, cut that in half and add to the original speed. For example: 60 mph divided by two equals 30, plus the 60 mph equals 90 feet per second covered distance. So if you only take a half second to look down while travelling 60 mph you just covered 45 feet.

Now consider the width of a lane in the curve. Typical city type street width is 8-10 feet per lane, highway 12-14 feet per lane.

At 60 mph entering the curve looking down for a half second, you just travelled 45 feet in a lane 8-14 feet wide, depending on city street or highway. Looking down for just a quarter of a second, you travelled about 25 feet. You can do the math for other speeds.

See a problem yet? Keep your eyes on the horizon constantly searching, evaluating and executing the correct techniques for what you see.

Try to keep the ground below you without looking at it. :wave

Friedle

Back