• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Brain f*rt. Plugged heated jacket into aux plug

rick601

Must've tripped something Bike runs fine but jacket controller light went off as soon as I did it! so I guess there's a fuse? or something? Yeah- use the battery charge sae pigtail-I knew it but it slipped my so-called mind. anyway- how can I check the aux and what should I do (I don't think I'll check it by plugging in the heated gear again!!) and where is what I should do (fuse stuff I'm guessing)

The outlet should reset after turning the ignition off then back on. The circuit is controlled by a computer. On my wethead (GSA) there are only three fuses that are located to the rear of the fuel tank and under the front right of the seat. I do not think they play any role in the aux plug circuit.

Last edited:
All is well. That circuit can only handle a 5A draw so it tripped. It should reset itself and be fine. Your vest probably needs a 10A circuit.

Probably a good idea to wire it directly to the battery.......along with the connector for something like a Battery Tender.
OM

On my '17 RT I installed an extra socket directly wired to the battery with a 15 A fuse so I could run my jacket and plug in a battery charger if needed.
Did the same on my '18 GSA so I can do the same and even run a small tent fan when needed.

On my '17 RT I installed an extra socket directly wired to the battery with a 15 A fuse so I could run my jacket and plug in a battery charger if needed.
Did the same on my '18 GSA so I can do the same and even run a small tent fan when needed.

I'm not gonna ask what a "tent fan is" but I hope it keeps the boys cool!
Re: socket- where did you mount the socket...drill for it? Also what exactly is the aux plug for (the factory one)
I like your idea, even though it tucks away that pigtail from the battery always seemed a little makeshift.

A simple SAE plug (pigtail) can be used for heated gear, battery tender, air pump, USB ports, and yes, even a tent fan. No drilling or mounting required.

I run an O2Cool fan to keep condensation at bay.

Re the socket; I drilled a hole on the panel right below the existing OEM plug on my RT. The OEM plug is only good for a cellphone recharge or GPS but not heated gear..
BMW sells heated gear (vest) and I wonder how they rime a 5 amp socket with their jacket...:scratch'

I'm not gonna ask what a "tent fan is" but I hope it keeps the boys cool!
Re: socket- where did you mount the socket...drill for it? Also what exactly is the aux plug for (the factory one)
I like your idea, even though it tucks away that pigtail from the battery always seemed a little makeshift.

The simplest and cleanest hook-up ( see attached photo ) is easy to install ( 15 amp hooked directly to the battery ) I use it for the battery charger and my heated gear the aux socket can be purchased at your BMW dealer or on line.

Attachments

• accassory socket.jpg
    accassory socket.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 415
I find that an SAE pigtail tucks nicely between the battery cover and frame on a '17 GSA, is nearly invisible and easy to pull out for either a tender, tire pump or heated jacket. I had it fused at 10 amp but after the tire pump blew it, increased to 15 amp and all is good.

If it's of any interest I've run a Gerbing heated jacket on the aux no prob at full on. Oh, I'm in Canada also...

If it's of any interest I've run a Gerbing heated jacket on the aux no prob at full on. Oh, I'm in Canada also...

The Aux outlet on most newer BMWs will not handle the load. What year is your bike?
On my 2011 K1300S the shop connected the Aux outlet direct to the battery so I could use it for heated gear.
On my 2016 R1200RS I did not bother with this since the outlet is on the wrong side of the bike.

The Aux outlet on most newer BMWs will not handle the load. What year is your bike?
On my 2011 K1300S the shop connected the Aux outlet direct to the battery so I could use it for heated gear.
On my 2016 R1200RS I did not bother with this since the outlet is on the wrong side of the bike.

Hi Lee

It's a 2016 RT never had a problem as of yet. I also have a 2015 R Nine T it does not work on it. So I've had to hug the jugs a few times LOL.

That's interesting.

wonder if the pillion plug has a higher wattage rating? It IS interesting that he's running heated indeed=- mine tripped almost immediately. Canadian model?? Previous owner? lowest setting? Placebo effect...he THINKS it's heating and feels warm??

wonder if the pillion plug has a higher wattage rating? It IS interesting that he's running heated indeed=- mine tripped almost immediately. Canadian model?? Previous owner? lowest setting? Placebo effect...he THINKS it's heating and feels warm??

The CANbus is limited to 5 amps, a 90 watts jacket would need a 7.5 amps at max settings. Is the passenger plug on the CANbus?
My RT came without this plug and I had a powerlet plug that fit in nicely in the hole. It is connected directly to the battery, so no CANbus issues.

There is only one simple answer. A separate fused connection to the battery. It can be an accessory socket, re-wired or added. It can be a coaxial as used by the jacket makers. It can be an SAE two-pole trailer connector. Pick your poison, but get off the CANBUS controlled circuits.

There is only one simple answer. A separate fused connection to the battery. It can be an accessory socket, re-wired or added. It can be a coaxial as used by the jacket makers. It can be an SAE two-pole trailer connector. Pick your poison, but get off the CANBUS controlled circuits.

^^^:thumb^^^
OM

Back