• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

cylinder head guards/valve cover protector

dbutterfield

I have done several searches on this forum but haven't come up with anything. I would like to buy cylinder head guards or valve cover guards (which ever is correct term). So far I have found some by Givi but would like comments from those with experience rather than buy something that I don't like. I ride a 2015 R1200RT.

Machineartmoto is a popular cover because it covers most of the valve cover.

1-XHead_LC-710x320.jpg

https://machineartmoto.com/products/x-head/x-head_lc/

We have the BMW covers on our R1200RSs.
They did a good job when someone backed into my wife's RS and knocked it over.

Guard.jpg

I replace the cover but could have only replaced the black plastic part for $20.

These type of covers are mainly for parking lot tip overs.

One disadvantage of the BMW cover, if the bike rolls over far enough the top half of the valve cover can be damaged.

On RT's, I have been in the camp of engine guards vs. valve cover protection. The engine guard typically saves more than the aluminum cover. I understand they cost more, but they save money in a drop or slide.

All the valve cover gurads will break, but typically save the aluminum cover once. The ones Lee mentions are fairly robust and look so as well. Have used them on several bikes,ours and others.

I have the MachineArtMoto cylinder guards and really like them They are well made and a US company and I believe will do the job in the event of a tip over. And IMHO they look good on the RT.

IMG_2137-L.jpg

Do you prefer covers or bars?
I have a set of Hepco and Becker crash bars on my bike.
Got them because they remind me of the Krauser bars I had on my /6.
They have been tested by me and work well.

Do you prefer covers or bars?
I have a set of Hepco and Becker crash bars on my bike.
Got them because they remind me of the Krauser bars I had on my /6.
They have been tested by me and work well.

On my RT I prefer the Cylinder covers. I believe they will perform as intended and I think they look better on the RT than the crash bars. But if I were going the crash bar route would probably go with Illium works. However, another consideration is I have the BMW light brackets for my Clearwater lights and I believe they use the mounts that would be used by Illium Works crash bars. I am sure I could always mount the lights to the bars but again on the RT I think the cylinder cover setup looks better.

I went with the Machineartmoto covers instead of crash bars. Both are good in case of a tip over. I'm of the opinion that's about what both are good for.
In case of a crash, there would be enough damage to the tupperware to declare the bike totaled even if the engine heads and covers survived.

I went with the Machineartmoto covers instead of crash bars. Both are good in case of a tip over. I'm of the opinion that's about what both are good for.
In case of a crash, there would be enough damage to the tupperware to declare the bike totaled even if the engine heads and covers survived.

Yep ... that is pretty much my thought as well.

Have to agree you bike looks nice and clean with just the MAM covers. I kept looking at it remembering my RT was so busy with front and rear crash bars. It looks nice for sure.

Have to ask, is that a racoon tail hanging on that bag on the back seat? If so pretty cool.

LOL ... yep ... that is my "lucky raccoon tail" that is attached to my Helen-2-Wheels bag. He travels with me everywhere I go! :dance

In addition I have since added the Illium Works rear bag guards in black. They blend in with the other black trim well and I like the added protection.

6E62B729-AEAB-4D2C-ABDF-70369BEEBA7D-XL.jpg

Still nice and clean. The Ilium rears are the way to go on a RT. They will save those bags in case of a stupid moment.

Yep ... and I originally order the silver but when my dealer got them in they looked more gray than silver so I had him exchange them for the black. I really like them and like most Illium Works products they mount up easily.

Gssinc,

I am really curious about your BMW badge on the rear fender. Would you mind sharing where you got it and how it is mounted?

Thank you

Gssinc,

I am really curious about your BMW badge on the rear fender. Would you mind sharing where you got it and how it is mounted?

Thank you

Ha! That is one of my favorite farkles. There is a guy over on the K1600 site that makes the bracket. Then you buy the BMW automotive part that mounts right up.

Shoot me a note at rstarrider at Carolina.rr.com and I'll give you all the info.

Oh ... and great eyes! I went back to see what photos I posted and you can barely see that rear roundel. :thumb

Holy beemer

Ouch.
Is that your bike?

Yup that is my bike. I think you might be the only that noticed the hole. It is currently welded up so the bike functions well. I didn't expect to have that kind of damage after putting the bars on. I hit some moss in the bottom of a river in Mexico and went down. I plugged the hole with a rag and some gorilla tape and made it about 100 miles to Hermosillo with no problems. I added oil along the way. Took less than 2 hours to remove and weld and replace. Added another 1000 miles before getting home.

R-Series valve covers

Went through a 45mph crash last Fall. Had on the standard steel BMW valve covers. Absolutely no engine damage whatever. These are quite tough valve cover protectors.

Back