• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100/1150 overhaul

paddlefoot

What are the typical overhaul mileages and costs on the oilhead boxer engines? Do they generally get a top end before a bottom end is needed? Im particularly interested to hear from owners who are tracking wear with oil analysis.

What are the typical overhaul mileages and costs on the oilhead boxer engines? Do they generally get a top end before a bottom end is needed? Im particularly interested to hear from owners who are tracking wear with oil analysis.

Most people never keep an 1100 or 1150 long enough to know. On Voni's R1100RS I had valves done at 300,000 and then replaced the engine due to bottom end noise at about 400,000. With crankshafts at $1,200 or so I consider bottom end work on a 400K machine cost prohibitive so installed a low mileage used engine 20K ago. My R1150R is making ugly bottom end noises at 190,000 miles and the top end has not been touched other than a few valve adjustments.

Remarkable mileage

Mr. Glaves, I wish I could figure out how to put that many miles on a motorcycle. I understand you have done it on quite a few, Ks and R series. I’m new to BMW as far as ownership. Started working in Harley shops when I had to be paid under the table. Eventually became service manager and went to H-D service school. The last bike I put serious miles on was a ‘74 FLH police bike I restored after it was surplused out. I recently bought an ‘03 K1200gt with about 37k on it. Body work is in need of help but basically great intro back into riding for not much cash. I’m a good sized guy and Im thinking I want to pick up an 1100/1150 to make things easier ergonomically. Im getting a pretty good handle on the quirks common to the various models but Id like your opinion on what NOT to do to a BMW. For example, every now and again a Harley guy would kill his bike by putting STP or some slickum in it. The rollers in the Shovelhead engine would slide on the slick stuff instead of rolling and shortly you would have a spot worn through the hardening of the rollers. Instant trashed engine. Are the any similar situations you are familiar with where someone thinks they are doing something extra for their Beemer and actually trashing it?

...Id like your opinion on what NOT to do to a BMW.

Leave it stock unless you have rubber brake lines on an R1100/1150. Follow the maintenance schedule. Use motorcycle-specific oil in the proper grade. Put 300k miles on your bike. Enjoy life.

Sounds like pretty good advice.

People used to ask me all the time about what they just had to do to their Harley before they would go on a long trip and thats pretty close to what I would tell them. “ Throw out your chopper magazines and dont talk to your long time biker pal who knows all. Above all, don’t let him work on your bike!” Back then everything was still using points and I would set real travelers up with a centrifugal advance unit and modified pliers so they could set the static timing with a continuity tester. And show them how to do it. That actually was about all anyone ever needed. I had a little list of stuff that might be needed. Brake light switches and light bulb #s, intake manifold O-rings and rocker shaft O-rings. Im really glad to be coming back to riding with electronic fuel injection, really good brakes much more reliable bikes with extended service intervals. We did a lot of work trying to make the valves live duriing the transition to unleaded fuel. Modern times seem pretty good. 190k and the bottom goes before the top end, pretty impressive.

I freshened the heads on my 1150GS at 175,000 miles.
Sitting presently at 212,000

I wouldn't go deeper as I have a complete longblock with 20k on it.

Spare engine sources

Do you gents look for insurance salvage situations or just catch them as you can for your replacement engines? I have given some thought to building up some spare wheels with tires mountd and balanced for a quick change when the time comes. Maybe an overhauled final drive. Things that can leave you in a pinch.

Do you gents look for insurance salvage situations or just catch them as you can for your replacement engines? I have given some thought to building up some spare wheels with tires mountd and balanced for a quick change when the time comes. Maybe an overhauled final drive. Things that can leave you in a pinch.

Insurance auctions

Thanks

I appreciate the information and advice. Looks like there will be donor bits around the hangar for the two wheeler.

Back