• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Really wanting an in-line 4 tourer again

On the F800GT it's change every 24K miles, parts price = $400.

That is what "they" say. But in actual use the oariginal belt on Voni's F800S went twice that far and was kept as a spare after being changed at 50K miles. And the second belt was still on the bike when we sold it at 103,000 miles. I did toss in a new belt I had bought earlier when we sold the bike.

Last edited:
That is what "they" say. But in actual use the oariginal belt on Voni's F800S went twice that far and was kept as a spare after being changed at 50K miles. And the second belt was still on the bike when we sold it at 103,000 miles. I did toss in a new belt I had bought earlier when we sold the bike.

Absolutely, the BMW specified change interval is 24K miles but it is routine for most folks to get at least 32-40K. HD's belts are good for 50-100K I've heard. I like the fact everything is turning in the same direction and intuitively that has got to improve efficiency considerably over shaft drive beyond the weight involved. Plus, you've inherently got so many more potential failure points: EIGHT, count em eight u-joint bearing sets, splines, crown bearing, and so forth. The belt drive on the F800 models which support it are very elegant (read: simple & effective in all aspects) and is a significant reason why some folks decided to purchase these models.

Hey, if the F800 only had 47 hp it would last 100k miles, too! :laugh

With belts I think it's going to be engine torque and bike weight, not HP per se, that ultimately becomes the limiting factor on what a belt can sustain. For belts it's the teeth that are the most vulnerable to shearing, and the shearing forces at play in making the 470lbs F800GT move compared to an 850lb HD w/ much higher torque is not even comparable.

With belts I think it's going to be engine torque and bike weight, not HP per se, that ultimately becomes the limiting factor on what a belt can sustain. For belts it's the teeth that are the most vulnerable to shearing, and the shearing forces at play in making the 470lbs F800GT move compared to an 850lb HD w/ much higher torque is not even comparable.

Really? Who knew?

We really must get a sarcasm emoji... :D

It is amazing how many people assume the FJR is a BMW. I suspect that if I covered the Yamaha emblems with Rondels it would fool most people. I have four BMWs in my shop at the moment, but do not believe my affinity for the brand means we have an exclusive relationship.

That's funny. Several times was asked what year BMW the 02 Concours I once had was.

To the OP....hope you hold out and find that inline 4 jewel meant for you.

Back