• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Drill hole in G650GS wheel for inner tube valve stem

nspurlock

I've seen some discussion of the possibility but wondering if anyone has every done it. I'm entertaining the idea of drilling a hole in the cast wheels for an inner tube valve stem. I would like the option of putting a tube in a tubeless tire if I were to get a hole or cut too big to fix with a plug or if I get a hole or cut in the sidewall from a sharp rock on the trail. The valve in the spoke of the cast wheel prevents this option.

Interesting but I would think that once you drill a hole in the cast wheel you would have to run a tube all the time as you wouldn't be able to seal it off, unless you're going to put a valve stem in it until needing to pop it out for the tube stem. Seems like an awful lot of work for very minor possibility......

I know it sounds like kind of a nutty idea but I was riding the Oregon Back Country last weekend and a guy cut his 1200GSA sidewall on a rock. Only way to fix it was to put a tube in it which he had with him. We were only about 15 miles from a paved road and I had cell service but still would have been a pain if we couldn't get the tire pumped up. Was thinking it would be nice to have that option with my G650GS. I would hate to run tubes all the time though. I think the valve stem hole could be plugged with a bolt, washer and RTV until needed. Not something I'm going to put a tremendous amount of time into - just pondering the possibilities.

You can carry a Speedy Stitcher and sew the the sidewall semi-closed and fill in with plugs.
OM

Drilling the extra hole is not something I would do. Getting it to seal when not in use could be problematic is one reason.

How about carrying some of the very big patches designed for large truck tires? They will cover some very large slashes in a tire and combined with plugs could give you a fighting chance of limping to where you can get to a more permanent fix.

Drilling the extra hole is not something I would do. Getting it to seal when not in use could be problematic is one reason.

How about carrying some of the very big patches designed for large truck tires? They will cover some very large slashes in a tire and combined with plugs could give you a fighting chance of limping to where you can get to a more permanent fix.

I have some Black Jack patches that I carry on my ATV which are intended for "tread, shoulder or sidewall" so I'm probably fine. I've never had to use them but if I ever do I'll post something. I'm going to forget about the tube and stick with tubeless tires and plug/patch repairs. Funny thing though I wasn't even carrying my bead breaker so I would have had a hell of a time getting a tire off anyway. Black Jack patches, bead breaker and bead setter are now in the GS.

Back