• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F800GS battery replacement....anything new?

Omega Man

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat
Staff member
With spring on it's way, I'm going to put a new battery in the F800GS.....I was wondering if there was anything new?

Just under two years the OEM battery was replaced under warranty- S: 61 21 772 3566 (off the battery).

About 3 Years ago I put in a YUASA (US Made) YTX 14-BS......Been working fine. It's my first choice for a replacement as I have had overall good luck with YUASA.

These batteries are small- for the work they are doing. I think it's a weight and space kinda deal.

Having one crap out already (plate separation) is really a PITA. The battery is hard to get to and in the case of a plate separation, the bad battery had to come out to make the bike have power to run.

So- anything new for the old F800? :ear

OM

Solid Battery

I think you are safe with the YTX 14-BS YUASA. If you have kept it changed when not riding for a couple weeks you should be good for another year. If not, invest in a good charger such as the Battery Tender Jr. $30. It will definitely extend the life of your battery....old or new.

There's no reason to replace a 3 y.o. battery unless you're seeing symptoms of it's impending death. Plate separation is not a common occurrence, I wouldn't expect it to happen again. I generally expect a 5 year life-span on batteries, minimum.
When I replaced the battery on my F8Gs, I went with a Deka. I've been happy with it's performance.

as to tough to change it out.... 8 bolts to get the center panel off is "hard to get to?" Really? Somebody sounds spoiled:stick

There's no reason to replace a 3 y.o. battery unless you're seeing symptoms of it's impending death. Plate separation is not a common occurrence, I wouldn't expect it to happen again. I generally expect a 5 year life-span on batteries, minimum.
When I replaced the battery on my F8Gs, I went with a Deka. I've been happy with it's performance.
If I didn't suspect it was weak, and knew how much trouble it was to get to, I would not be changing it :dunno

as to tough to change it out.... 8 bolts to get the center panel off is "hard to get to?" Really? Somebody sounds spoiled:stick
Sounds like somebody hasn't seen my bike :stick
OM

so what did you do... slap an RT fairing onto your GS??

hmmm... this isn't the usual sound of a dying battery .. "About 3 Years ago I put in a YUASA (US Made) YTX 14-BS......Been working fine. It's my first choice for a replacement as I have had overall good luck with YUASA."

so what did you do... slap an RT fairing onto your GS??

hmmm... this isn't the usual sound of a dying battery .. "About 3 Years ago I put in a YUASA (US Made) YTX 14-BS......Been working fine. It's my first choice for a replacement as I have had overall good luck with YUASA."
The YUASA brand battery has been working fine. It fit, terminals are in the right place.........
On the top of "where the tank would be", there is the spreader for the tank bag and the tank bag. Connected to the terminals are the battery tender and heated gear coaxial cables. Like a lot of the newer bikes, it's not just pop the seat and there it is.
OM

I came from a R1100S, which requires all bodywork get pulled, air intake removal, and then a gas tank lift, minimum.

The F8 is cake.

Looks like there is an “H” thrown into the mix now- Yuasa YTX 14H-BS. Looks like it’s a change to an AGM configuration :dunno
I’m pretty sure the YTX 14-BS was a standard battery.
OM

I've been happy with my MotoBatt batteries that I purchased from Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing.

I'm done dealing with anything that I have to fill or isn't sealed from the factory. It looks like the MotoBatt (MBTX12U-23 I believe) for your bike actually weighs ~4lbs less and has more amp hours...

I've been happy with my MotoBatt batteries that I purchased from Tom Cutter at Rubber Chicken Racing.

I'm done dealing with anything that I have to fill or isn't sealed from the factory. It looks like the MotoBatt (MBTX12U-23 I believe) for your bike actually weighs ~4lbs less and has more amp hours...

I’m not familiar with those but will take a look.
Thanks.
OM

Back