• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

NASCAR 2017 :burnout

If you want, I can move the negative posts into something called- NASCAR, it ain't what it used to be?
OM

Not sure I understand ?? Why can't we just discuss it as we see it ?

You quoted the family name segment....It is the France family, not the French family....how is that a negative ?

TV viewing is down as well as ticket sales. Those are facts of record. Discussing that is a negative ?

Not sure I understand ?? Why can't we just discuss it as we see it ?

You quoted the family name segment....It is the France family, not the French family....how is that a negative ?

TV viewing is down as well as ticket sales. Those are facts of record. Discussing that is a negative ?
This was my first post-
Well, Daytona speedweek is right around the corner with the Rolex 24 rolling now.
The Daytona 500 is scheduled for February 26th :burnout

GettyImages-511620910(1).jpg

It appears that there has been quite a few changes this year including Carl Edwards (retiring)? and it looks like Monster Energy is the "new" name.

While I don't follow real close, I do enjoy the technological advances that have come from the sport. I'm even impressed with the view of the NASCAR website as the site seems to be setup with the fans in mind- http://www.nascar.com

With any luck the season will continue provide entertainment/diversion for those who are fans.
OM

As the thread originator, I find all the negative posting counterproductive to the threads intent. It reminds me of a famous quote-

:banghead
OM

OM, your signature line quote of Norman Mailer says it all about the ability of anyone to predict or control where a thread will go.

This was my first post-

As the thread originator, I find all the negative posting counterproductive to the threads intent. It reminds me of a famous quote-

:banghead
OM

First....look at what [you] named the thread. Were you referencing the physical act of a burnout ? Tires spinning etc? Or the emotional, psychological burnout on the sport ?

Second by posting any thread you invite discussion on the topic correct? But reading your comments on our comments regarding the topic, you only approve of [in your opinion] absolute positive replies ?

As such I now have no idea what exactly the intent of the thread was ?....Certainly not discussion !

An acquaintance of mine has one of those old 'beach racers'. A 1938 Chevrolet I believe it is...he has tried to trace it's history, not easy & not sure what all he has found. His boss bought some property , and it was literally a 'barn find'. His boss gave it to him. He is slowly restoring it, but he has children, etc...so it is not the priority. He'll get it done though. I hope I do hear about it when it is finished....

I saw it when he brought it home, it's not as bad as you would think...but he wants to someday make it parade / cruise-in worthy, and he is the kind of guy that will see it through.

Around here there are still some racetracks. Back in the day they did some amazing builds of the older engines- especially the flathead Fords. I don't know much about them really but had one in my '47 Ford rack-dump.......back in the day.
OM

Indeed if a person is interested ? there is allot racing history around, & mostly forgotten. Within 20 mile radis from where I am just now, there was at one time a famous board track..[way before my time] And what was @ the time the worlds fastest 1/4 mile paved raceway . That one I barley do remember. My dad raced 'midgets' there. And a large 1/2 mile [some say 5/8] paved track that so they say,... was about to be added to the NASCAR circuit ?? But then was suddenly closed.. But today it seems all folks care about is baseball & football. Locally, it's football......:banghead.

Last event I attended was modified at real nice banked dirt track, midwest, somewhere between half and three quarters mile, out in the corn, Saturday night. Oh boy, the sights, the sounds, the smells, absolutely nuts, overwhelming to me anyway. Got some popcorn, couple hot dogs, didn't want it to end. Flag waving, national anthem, the whole ball of wax. And then the souped up small blocks and drivers who drove the wheels off those hot rods. Very sophisticated equipment compared to the sixties. And families. American culture on parade. NASCAR is just the pinnacle of where any of these small track drivers would love to rise. But what a sacrifice. So yes, I'll be watching, and have nary a bad word to say about anyone who puts the boot to the metal. Respect broheem.

My youngest son and I will be watching on TV today. However, there is NOTHING like the gathering of thunder as a NASCAR pack approaches you at Daytona Speedway! No, this is not the same as riding your favourite motorcycle alone through mountainous twisty's on open roads. Variety is the spice of life! :dance

The 500 was a great race. 15 cars were knocked out- not to continue, with the new rules. As in the last 10 or 11 500's it came down to the last lap.
OM

Looks like a bit of a race shuffle-

September NASCAR race to move from NHMS to Vegas next year-

From the New Hampshire Union Leader- http://www.unionleader.com/Motor-Sports/September-NASCAR-race-moved-from-NHMS-to-Vegas- 03082017

OM

Just goes to show, it's not about putting on good racing entertainment....it's about squeezing all the $$ from it they can.

From the article.....

“It really has proven to be something we can’t ignore and that race fans have spoken very loudly that they want to come to Las Vegas again.”

I'm bettin' the KY & NH fans would disagree....

At todays Kobalt 400, the National Anthem was sung by Night Ranger and the command to start- none other than John Fogerty.
Pretty cool and fitting for the Las Vegas setting. :dance :dance :dance
I do enjoy those fly-overs.
OM

Spoiler Alert

Always amusing to see how drivers explain their view of what happens...Kyle B door slams Joey to avoid running in to the #2 car, then gets a last lap bump and goes crazy on pit road...old school Donnie Allison and Cale Y:fight
Great win for Truex...overdue :thumb

On the race dates lost by other tracks...sad at times, but attendance and dollars do speak. Did not see a lot of empty seats on Sunday.
Miss the door banging Rockingham and Hickory provided with 43 cars in a small space..but times move on like it or not.

Always amusing to see how drivers explain their view of what happens...Kyle B door slams Joey to avoid running in to the #2 car, then gets a last lap bump and goes crazy on pit road...old school Donnie Allison and Cale Y:fight
Great win for Truex...overdue :thumb

On the race dates lost by other tracks...sad at times, but attendance and dollars do speak. Did not see a lot of empty seats on Sunday.
Miss the door banging Rockingham and Hickory provided with 43 cars in a small space..but times move on like it or not.

Just when we were starting to believe marriage and fatherhood had matured Rowdy! :ha

Just like fist fights in hockey, its all part of the theatrics for the fans.

Back