• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The New BMW G 310 GS Thread~

A real Game Changer!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/O7AKcIKFDHw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cdKY8ko7Kf0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

W o W ! ! !

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9lnI0Yu307Q" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How does it do on the Freeway?

So, Voni and/or Paul, have you ridden the 310GS on pavement for anything over an hour continuously? The last video (the previous post) says it is "pretty smooth" at 70-75 mph on the highway. I would like to hear from you with a personal comment about the bike's abilities under such conditions. If I buy one, it will be as a replacement for my 800ST and I ride exclusively on pavement and take one or more week-long trips per year. Specifically, is the seat comfortable for all-day riding? My 800 has the stock windscreen and is larger than what appears to be on the GS; Is the GS's stock windscreen adequate for cruising at 60-65 mph?

Thx for the help.

So, Voni and/or Paul, have you ridden the 310GS on pavement for anything over an hour continuously? The last video (the previous post) says it is "pretty smooth" at 70-75 mph on the highway. I would like to hear from you with a personal comment about the bike's abilities under such conditions. If I buy one, it will be as a replacement for my 800ST and I ride exclusively on pavement and take one or more week-long trips per year. Specifically, is the seat comfortable for all-day riding? My 800 has the stock windscreen and is larger than what appears to be on the GS; Is the GS's stock windscreen adequate for cruising at 60-65 mph?

Thx for the help.

We have ridden a couple of hours from the house to Presidio, by way of the River Road which is a failrly hilly twisty road. It takes a couple of hours to do just over 90 miles; and then gas and return home for an almost 200 mile ride over 3-1/2 to four hours. The bikes are plenty comfortable on that trip.

In stock configuration the bike does not really have what I would call a windscreen. It covers the instrument cluster pretty well though. :) I have seen a couple of aftermarket screens available. I was comfortable with my head/helmet in clean airflow.

I think these are excellent 300 mile per day bikes. I'll soon know more as we stretch the legs a little bit. The current issue I see is the current availability of luggage. BMW (BMW of Burbank on eBay) does show top boxes in two sizes. I am sure some variety of side bags will soon emerge. In the meantime we will travel with a bag across the seat, and tank bags, of course.

Nice Review

Makes me wish me and my new Baby GS could be united; it’s in the dealership and paid for, but we are up in the air as to travel plans to go fetch it.

When the rain and snow goes away, I will post a picture of my 03 F650 that has on it a good seat and Jesse bags.
I don’t understand that BMW would produce a GS with bag mounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the rain and snow goes away, I will post a picture of my 03 F650 that has on it a good seat and Jesse bags.
I don’t understand that BMW would produce a GS with bag mounts.

Patience Grasshopper

Patience Grasshopper

I started my 52th year of riding. I have a limited amount of patience with BMW.
My 03 650 runs well, gets about 65-70 mpg and it travels well. I expect this bike to be my last one

Early Thoughts on G310GS

It's been one week since picking up my white G310GS. 600 miles so far (good spring Florida riding weather). Love It so far!. Still have a F700GS and 1972 R75/5 Toaster but this will be the every day scoot. Bike had an aftermarket exhaust system on at the dealership (Arrow I think) at $800+. Came off before I took it home...loud was not the word! The $800 is paying for a Hepco Becker C-Bow Carrier and Krauser Soft Bag set from Wunderlich, which should arrive next week. Also adding a enlarging pad for the center punch BMW calls a side stand. Maybe a centerstand if I can locate one.

After 54 years of riding and almost 1/2 million BMW miles on many Beemers...I'm impressed.

Here's a video from mika's Bench Racing thread showing the two top boxes and tank bag.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3OySClOpuPU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Waiting Patiently

...more or less. Looks like I might pick it up about a week from now. Travel plans are dependent on TLN’s daughter’s real estate closing, the date for which seems to be a moving target...

Short Trip Report

I can now report a bit about our first road trip on the G310GS bikes. We went to the Hill Country Campout put on by the San Antonio BMW Riders at Kerrville, TX. From our house to the rally site is 400 miles. Our ride over on Friday was pleasant - not much wind and temperatures mostly in the upper 70s and 80s. We ran between 70 and 75 most of the way and arrived with a moving average speed of 68 mph. Fuel mileage was around 60 mpg on Voni's bike and a little less on mine. Hers has more miles and I was still breaking mine in with lots of ons and offs the throttle.

Coming back today (Sunday) was a really good test ride for these bikes. It was in the low 40s when we left Kerrville and the mid 90s when we arrived at home. Somewhere, for a little while in the middle of the trip the temperatures were pleasant.

Saturday at the rally was challenging: lows over night both Friday and Saturday were in the upper 30s and all day Saturday it didn't top 50 and the wind blew unrelentingly. Parts of the day were simply miserable for riding, standing around or much of anything else except taking a nap.

Back to Sunday's ride home. It was a few miles longer because we went on into Del Rio past our turnoff to get lunch. So it was a 410 mile day. It got downright windy the latter half of the trip. Winds of 25 or so gusting to 35 or so according to airport data at Del Rio, Terrell County, and Alpine.. The prevailing winds were sometimes a headwind, sometimes a crosswind, and often a quartering headwind. The little bikes handled it well. There were a few times on long uphill stretches on US 90, into the headwind, that I ran in 5th gear because the bike lacked oomph (technical term) in 6th.

We ran about 70 most of the time and had a moving average speed of just over 64 mph. Fuel mileage was a little less than during the eastbound trip due to today's headwinds.

All in all we are very pleased with the little bikes doing 400 mile days under less than ideal weather conditions.

Last edited:
Thanks for that report, the more I hear about these little bikes the more I want one. I'm (I think still) on a list to get one, but it has to be the white/blue. I currently have a Honda CFR250L that I use for dual sport, but I would love the extra power the 310's put out. I have a hard time keeping the Honda at 65, and with any headwind it isn't possible.

We are snowing today. With another storm forecast for next weekend also. I think we are going from Spring straight to Summer. Whenever that happens. :banghead

Back