• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The New BMW G 310 GS Thread~

Great Photos Voni and Paul! I rode Julie's new 310GS home from Iowa City yesterday, 130 miles, as Julie still has a boot on one foot from bunion surgery but she can drive; we had taken her trade in to Iowa City December 16th. Temp was in the 40s. Tried to vary the speed coming home and did stop at 90 miles for gas. I don't know if it was completely full as it had a hundred miles on the tank and I put 2 gallons in. It rode very nice and had plenty of power; I think I hit 76 or 77 mph a couple times (speed limit 65 mph). The little windshield works well and I doubt Julie will put one on it; I did put one on my G310R. Compared to my 310GR it feels like a lot bigger bike. The shifter is tilted more forward and took some getting used to. I have 3900 miles on my 310GR and am averaging 61.8 mpg but I may ride faster than most people. Today we put an oiler on the GS (Tutoro) and some handguards and heated grip wraps (Oxford) and tire pressure monitors (tireguard). Julie hasn't ridden since Dec. 16th and even with our Winters that is the longest she has ever gone without riding since we started riding in 1985. After 4 years without BMWs we are happy to be back and are anxious to take some trips on these. She is hoping someone makes some adventure type cases for it. Oh, yesterday the roads were wet and salty coming home so her bike got filthy but she said it is a GS so that is o.k. We did try to wash it off.

Great Photos Voni and Paul! I rode Julie's new 310GS home from Iowa City yesterday, 130 miles, as Julie still has a boot on one foot from bunion surgery but she can drive; we had taken her trade in to Iowa City December 16th. Temp was in the 40s. Tried to vary the speed coming home and did stop at 90 miles for gas. I don't know if it was completely full as it had a hundred miles on the tank and I put 2 gallons in. It rode very nice and had plenty of power; I think I hit 76 or 77 mph a couple times (speed limit 65 mph). The little windshield works well and I doubt Julie will put one on it; I did put one on my G310R. Compared to my 310GR it feels like a lot bigger bike. The shifter is tilted more forward and took some getting used to. I have 3900 miles on my 310GR and am averaging 61.8 mpg but I may ride faster than most people. Today we put an oiler on the GS (Tutoro) and some handguards and heated grip wraps (Oxford) and tire pressure monitors (tireguard). Julie hasn't ridden since Dec. 16th and even with our Winters that is the longest she has ever gone without riding since we started riding in 1985. After 4 years without BMWs we are happy to be back and are anxious to take some trips on these. She is hoping someone makes some adventure type cases for it. Oh, yesterday the roads were wet and salty coming home so her bike got filthy but she said it is a GS so that is o.k. We did try to wash it off.

Congrats with the new ride!:dance
Great to hear the bike has some punch to it and it can keep up on the interstate. That was one of my concerns even though I'd rarely would take it there anyway.
It is bigger/taller than the R version but to me it seems that the suspension is a bit spongy. Is that an issue on the road?
Being 6'2" 200#,when I sat on the bike I could flat foot it in the showroom. The bike was sold so I couldn't ride it....

Congrats with the new ride!:dance
Great to hear the bike has some punch to it and it can keep up on the interstate. That was one of my concerns even though I'd rarely would take it there anyway.
It is bigger/taller than the R version but to me it seems that the suspension is a bit spongy. Is that an issue on the road?
Being 6'2" 200#,when I sat on the bike I could flat foot it in the showroom. The bike was sold so I couldn't ride it....

The suspension seems pretty dialed in to me. As for size, I am 5'10" - 160 and can flat foot it easily. Voni is 5'6" and a lot lighter than I am and she can just get both heels down on both sides.

I have been following the development and intro of this bike in the US for nearly two years. Yesterday was fortunate enough to acquire the second of the two allocated to BMW Western Oregon in the Portland area. Who knew that by ending up with a red one I would be following in the footsteps of Voni Glaves? Voni you’re going to have to hook me up with the source for one of those matching red hats!

View attachment 66347

Jim Popper can make most anything you'd like. Email him at grafikfeats@gmail.com

Voni
sMiling

IMG_8011.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

Every time we ride we fall in love more!

Finally found something not to like. The kickstand is so stiff I got a bit off balance when I tried to put it down where I didn't have the ground clearance to fully deploy.
But I didn't panic and found a way . . .

Voni

Saw a new 310GS at the dealer the other day and was very impressed by the overall design and finish.
BMW should sell a lot of these worldwide.

Does anyone know if there are plans for factory luggage for these bikes?
Are the valve adjusters shim or threaded?

Good questions actually. Can someone please post up the maintenance intervals and what and when schtuff needs to be done??? :lurk

12,000 miles
Replace air filter
Replace spark plug
Check valves
Replace chain
Change fork oil

Change fuel filter at 24,000 mile

Change brake fluid after one year and every 2 years after that.

12,000 miles
Replace air filter
Replace spark plug
Check valves
Replace chain
Change fork oil

Thanks! What about engine oil/filters? 6K?

12,000 miles
Replace air filter
Replace spark plug
Check valves
Replace chain
Change fork oil

Isn't 12,000 awfully early (and frequent) to replace a chain? I have not owned a chain-drive bike in quite a few years, but 12K seems too early.

Amazingly long oil interval as most bikes with that size engine go by hours rather than miles ridden.

Every BMW bike built since the late '80s has specified a 6,000 mile oil change interval for "normal" service. I have never seen a motorcycle specify oil changes based on hours. Generators, compressors, pumps - yes. Motorcycles - no, except for itty-bitty off road bikes like a Honda CRF 50.

From a post on FaceBook:

David Darcy added 3 new photos.
9 hrs · Sydney, NSW, Australia ·
RALLY RAID PRODUCTS BMW G 310 GS PROJECT UNDERWAY!
Huge thanks to Greg Yager of ADVWORX https://advworx.com.au/ for a solid ten hours work giving the two BMW G 310 GS' a huge upgrade to prepare them for the gruelling APC Rally commencing soon. Spoked wheels, tractive rear suspension with remote gas reservoir, new exhaust system, Renthal Bars and bar risers, GPS mount, USB and 12V chargers, radiator guard, Continental TCK 80 tyres, screen and headlight protector and of course Rideworx Barkbusters and fitting of Rotopax and Tailplate. A bit yet to come including bash plate, panniers racks. John Mitchinson and his crew should be very proud of the quality of the parts designed and manufactured by Rally Raid Products. Look forward to showing the build and testing the bike in the next couple of weeks with the ultimate test being the APC Rally.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1591443047639891&set=pcb.1591451550972374&type=3&theater

Voni
sMiling

Back