• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Emergency medical information on your phone

Yep, I down loaded that to my phone but found it less user friendly than the emergency word/link you touch in the lower left portion of an iPhone after you slide to unlock it. When you touch it, it gives you the option to immediately dial emergency, or to access emergency data you've set up. I also went with Kevin Greenwald's touring tip of dog tags. I modified the information on my army dog tags to include more kenetic information like NKDA (no known drug allergies) and my wife's name, cell number, and address.

Most of my touring is by myself and I tend to ride at a brisk pace. I am not as good as I used to be. I have everything in the way of emergency information in various location on my bike and my person. I heard about this on NBC News and thought others here might want to install it on their phone.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ice-standard-er-smart911-official/id412786820?mt=8

Similar apps are available for Android devices.

I understand the utility of this option, but don't assume the wireless transmission or your phone can't be hacked.

There was a recent thread on how, where, why to carry emergency info. I seem to remember that the first responders on the post indicated they would seldom take the time to hunt for and search a phone for info when they had an unconscious patient on their hands. Something easily seen and read seemed to be a common recommendation.

There was a recent thread on how, where, why to carry emergency info. I seem to remember that the first responders on the post indicated they would seldom take the time to hunt for and search a phone for info when they had an unconscious patient on their hands. Something easily seen and read seemed to be a common recommendation.

Missed the other thread, but as a first responder, dog tags or bracelet would be one of the first things checked, looking for medical info.

Yep, I down loaded that to my phone but found it less user friendly than the emergency word/link you touch in the lower left portion of an iPhone after you slide to unlock it. When you touch it, it gives you the option to immediately dial emergency, or to access emergency data you've set up.

Reece,

Would you expand on this a bit? I have an iPhone 4s in my hand, running iOS 9.2.1, and there's no "emergency word/link" on the screen. Maybe it's a functionality that only appears with more recent hardware.

-D

Try a swipe to allow access to the touch pad so as you can enter your access code. Before you enter the code see the lower left of the screen.
OM

Yep, I down loaded that to my phone but found it less user friendly than the emergency word/link you touch in the lower left portion of an iPhone after you slide to unlock it. When you touch it, it gives you the option to immediately dial emergency, or to access emergency data you've set up. I also went with Kevin Greenwald's touring tip of dog tags. I modified the information on my army dog tags to include more kenetic information like NKDA (no known drug allergies) and my wife's name, cell number, and address.

Glad to see you followed thru, Reece. Just the other day, I trotted over to Walmart and used their "Pet Tag" machine to again create an updated high-quality stainless steel medic-alert tag ($6) to assign my son as 'emergency contact person.'

Since he's commanding a desk for a while (S3 in Admin @ Ft. Carson) rather than a Bradley, he's more likely to take the call if I have a bad day, and would work thru what to do with the crashed bike.

Just because our electronic do-dads offer us ICE options doesn't make them ideal. After more than a quarter century in EMS/Dive Rescue Team/ER Tech, your phone is more likely to be discovered when your riding garments are finally being inventoried long after you've been examined, treated or transferred to surgery.

Like others have echoed, we primarily look for that necklace or bracelet. :wave

Last edited:
I imagine EMTs will see a difference between on your person and mounted on handlebar as regards your phone.

I imagine EMTs will see a difference between on your person and mounted on handlebar as regards your phone.

Kent - our concern (as EMT's) would be that after a motorcycle crash, the condition or even location of your bike-mounted phone/tank bag may be a problem.

A bracelet or necklace with a customized medic tag is still bound to be with you, no matter how much you've 'bounded.' :thumb

Try a swipe to allow access to the touch pad so as you can enter your access code. Before you enter the code see the lower left of the screen.
OM
More-
To make info about yourself available to others in case of emergency, open the health app an tap Medical ID to fill in the details.
To view, tap Emergency on the lock screen.

You will need to have kept up with the IOS updates so as the health app will be present as an icon. It may not be on your main page so you can try a "swipe" left.
OM

Back