• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anonymous book

SCBuckeye

With all the transition comments now, I thought I would like to put in my personal ideas that I would like to see for the Anonymous book.

The most radical idea I have (and I can't be the only one!) is that now may be the time to make this totally electronic and available through the MOA in its internet site. I know I have heard overtones of apps, which tells me that others may be thinking along these lines as well. My problem is I don't do cell phones well, and am (by choice) a computer person. I do almost everything (including watching TV shows, etc.) on or through the computer. When traveling, I take my laptop along, and with nearly every restaurant/campgrounds/McDonalds/etc. WiFi available, I am nearly always connected to the internet.

I would like to see the apps for those who may use their smartphones/Kindle/etc. to access data.

But, I would also like to see a division of the forum set up specifically for Anonymous. In this section, should be all kinds of information (to members) and search-ability with the ability of several levels of sorting.

Last year, on my extended trip, I found the Anonymous book less than useful. It helped, but not like I would like it to.

I would like to be able (on the internet Anonymous site) to be able to enter various search criteria and then have the results shown in a spreadsheet-like format of the sorting of my choice.

For example, usually the first criteria all of us would have is location. If a breakdown, it is usually location (withing a specified number of miles) that first governs who or what we are able to do. However, with all of the other categories that are presently in the anonymous book (i.e. "willing to share a cup of coffee" or "offers tools" or "offers transportation" or "willing to put up for the night" etc. you get the picture).

Here is what I would like to be able to enter: Location, and then 3 or 4 more of the criteria (maybe some required and others preferable, but not necessary). Another help would be Boolean searches, i.e. "This OR that," or "this AND that."

One such search COULD be when one is proposing a trip. Being able to, let's say, "give me all the entries along 'such & such' highway (like Interstate 77, or interstate 90) that also meet these other criteria, such as "has tools," or "can offer trailering," or whatever). Make sense?

I know this is lengthy, and I apologize for this, but I wanted to see if others may have a similar desire along the same lines that I am thinking.

jlc

Last edited:
Good thoughts..........Perhaps when one plugs in a location of where you want to spend the night, it would come up with several places on a map within a certain distance......Kinda like yellow pages does now when you plug in a business or topic..............

DO NOT GET RID OF THE BOOK...........I have never sent a tweet, twat, or bee bop and probably never will......Am sure I am not alone on this and perhaps to help with the printing costs it would be available by request...........Golly, it seems like the thing does NOT change that much as how many of us are moving year to year???

When I lived off of I-40/I-35 in OKC I got calls all the time for folks to stay, repair, or just talk........now that I am in the sticks I have not had a call in like going on 25 years.........hmmmmm and boy are they missing out on some prime camping on my place....Actually perhaps the above idea would get me more hits. If a person put in a major town or area in NW Georgia and then got a selection of 10 little flags or whatever indicating folks within say 25 miles or so....That might be useful.....oh well.......God bless.......Dennis

DO NOT GET RID OF THE BOOK...........I have never sent a tweet, twat, or bee bop and probably never will......Am sure I am not alone on this and perhaps to help with the printing costs it would be available by request...........Golly, it seems like the thing does NOT change that much as how many of us are moving year to year???

Totally unacceptable!! Just kidding, Dennis!!!

I am not sure of the costs, but going electronic would save money. In this day and age, most would now be willing to go to electronic, internet, apps version. But for others still in the stone age (sorry, Dennis!!!) perhaps a few thousand or so could still be printed. I wonder how the demographics would work on this?

Whatever, both yours and my ideas are food for thought. It is just MY ideas are better!!! Hehehe!

Last edited:
Great idea. Access only thru the web site after you signed on to a secure server (maybe even the one we use now).

The ability to search under different criteria would be the greatest advantage.

I want an app. I have yet to receive an Anonymous book that wasn't shredded in the mail, besides, I never have enough room for it on the bike.

I wish there was a way to indicate those of us who would really like to host a traveler overnight. The preamble says not to use members simply to find a place to stay (paraphrased since I don't have it handy right now), but I get a kick out of meeting folks and wouldn't mind offering my guest room if they don't mind sharing the bed with a dog or two...

I wish there was a way to indicate those of us who would really like to host a traveler overnight. The preamble says not to use members simply to find a place to stay (paraphrased since I don't have it handy right now), but I get a kick out of meeting folks and wouldn't mind offering my guest room if they don't mind sharing the bed with a dog or two...

Fantastic idea.

I've met folks in our small town and offered them free B&B. Love to talk with folks who are on the road and hear their stories.

I think that would be good!

I saw an advertisement in the ON that featured a group that you had to join that offered to their members housing and a breakfast for $20 per night for 2 people. I think another offered a "yard" so one could use their back yard with a tent and then get breakfast in the morning. I think both provided showers, bathroom or something.

What I think would be fantastic is to have this as part of Anon book (app or internet feature of MOA site). I don't have much here at my house, but it would be fun to "host" people traveling through the area. Save them money, and use our home to meet some people. Of course, there would have to be some "ground rules" as to what is expected of host, and of travelers. That way, no one would be surprised with desired $$ or having to tip, etc.

I have been critical of the "family" mantra of the national MOA, but this one feature that COULD make it really neat to have an MOA membership AND it would really foster individual friendships that could last a lifetime. When people meet in non-formal or non-meet type settings, they tend to become more personal and friendly.

In many instances, when you REALLY need help, you hope for cell phone service and going on-line is not possible. I have never needed to use the anon book but I have helped several folks who had a breakdown in our mountains. Once you get away from our interstate, a printed book is frequently all you have available to use. It is reassuring to know that you have a printed book that you can use even if you have to use a phone at a store or local's residence. This is from someone who carries cash rather than a debit card.

I want an app. I have yet to receive an Anonymous book that wasn't shredded in the mail, besides, I never have enough room for it on the bike.

Last year, upon joining in Dec. 2012, my book didn't arrive until I had to call (or write, I forget). I got it around the first of May. Damaged but usable.

My little town is on Bicycle Route 76, a trans continental bicycle route. I meet lots of them and was told about this site that alot of touring bicyclists use. Its called "Warmshower". the rules are simple, you register to be a host. A bicyclist will call you and ask if you can host them for the nite. You say yes or no. Simple as that. As a host you have the option of providing what ever level of comfort you want to. Your hosting 'rules' are spelled out in your 'listing'. Here's the link. A network like this for the BMW MOA would be a great idea!

https://www.warmshowers.org/

My little town is on Bicycle Route 76, a trans continental bicycle route. I meet lots of them and was told about this site that alot of touring bicyclists use. Its called "Warmshower". the rules are simple, you register to be a host. A bicyclist will call you and ask if you can host them for the nite. You say yes or no. Simple as that. As a host you have the option of providing what ever level of comfort you want to. Your hosting 'rules' are spelled out in your 'listing'. Here's the link. A network like this for the BMW MOA would be a great idea!

https://www.warmshowers.org/

Thanks for the link! I like that idea very much. :clap

I'd be content if it was simply a .pdf of the paper version. This would be readable on any smartphone, laptop or tablet using any operating system, would not require internet access, would be easily searchable, and would not require any space on the bike.

http://bmwmoa.org/Contact.aspx

At some point write/copy-cut-and-paste your ideas and send them on to either the Exec Director or the new -what ever the new title/person the Media Director is. There seem to be many decent ideas coming out. The forum is a place to discuss the solution to world problems but not the place to get much of anything done; so send them on.

Last edited:
The challenge I have with an electronic Anonymous is that I do not have, nor do I desire to have, a smartphone. I have no trouble using the ipod Touch, but most of the discussions I have seen about the E-Anonymous is that connectivity is needed. Looking forward to more discussion on this whole concept.

The challenge I have with an electronic Anonymous is that I do not have, nor do I desire to have, a smartphone. .

I am in the same corner. I consider the real value of the Anonymous Book to be able to stuff it in the glove box and have it there in an emergency, away from most other possible help. That being said, the A-B in my view should not be a tool to travel on a budget, but a tool to provide help in an emergency. I am listed also and I am willing to lend a hand, provide tools and even trailer transport if needed, but I am not running a B&B.

I used the A-Book in the first year I joined to be saved near B.G. Kentucky the week between Christmas and New Years. I have helped folks a few times as well that were in our area or planning on passing by and needing to mount some tires.

I have crossed into the Smartphone world at mid-50's, but often times nowhere to any service ( you know it only doesn't work when you need it) . The A- Book takes up so little room as I keep it with the various state maps I plan on crossing anyways. Even on the rare space of our R12S there is a spot under the seat.I may not have the latest paper version on a particular bike with our herd. ( I know the E- version would take care of that...maybe) Kind of like that the remote gas station that your GPS says is there, but now closed due to The GPS database yearly updates not knowing that.

If it were online/a .pdf file or whatnot, I still think of that dark,or sunny, deserted space one can break down in , a paper version works for me...and gives me some kindling if I have no phone service and it's getting cold:D Phones & tablets can fail, the paper shouldn't.

We have almost every code, if not all of them checked in our entry...one could glean that we welcome just about anybody here and have some space. I think the KK code means come have a cup doesn't it?

Anonymous-book

Lot of good ideas on electronic versions.
Go APP., but don't get rid off printed version.
Condense printed version to people and dealers, and forget ads and fluff. Small paper backed version that packs light is all I need.
Not opposed to $1 for APP and $1 for paper, but that may be dreaming.
Charlie

The challenge I have with an electronic Anonymous is that I do not have, nor do I desire to have, a smartphone.

My thoughts exactly. I'm cheap. I don't want the extra expense of a smartphone. An app is fine as long as I get a book every year, or every two years.

Harry

Back