• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anonymous book

I think you are missing the point, which is that people should have a broader choice of the services they are willing to provide to fellow BMW riders in the A - book. Thank you for the services you are willing to provide. But clearly there are respondents who are quite willing to provide camping space; maybe even a bed, shower and toilet for the fun of meeting fellow members. If this was worked out, I see nothing wrong in folks who want or need to save money contacting people who were willing to give them camping space or a bed as they toured. Just another way of making friends, depending of course on what you can and are willing to offer.

Yes - which is why there are codes for camping space, bedroll space, and spare bedroom, in the A' Book.

The question is whether this is for emergency or problem related use, or for more mundane/routine use by frugal travelers. There have been a few historic or notorious cases of long term freeloading but those seem to have been exceptions.

It would be nice if there was a bike specific help code. :dunno

I have tons of K75 and some K100 parts (and mechanical experience) that I would be willing to help people with, but other than wrenches would be almost useless for other bikes.

There are others in this area that are Airhead gurus but aren't as up on other bikes.

In large metro/suburban areas like the SF Bay area, there are dozens and dozens (if not hundreds) of people listed willing to help. It would be nice sometimes, if you could narrow it down to who would be most helpful for a specific bike.

:dance:dance:dance

It would be nice if there was a bike specific help code. :dunno

:thumb They do have vintage, racing, etc., categories, but having a more specific idea of bike models would be a good idea. If someone called me and had issues with a K-Bike, I'd be hard pressed to help them by contacting anyone else around here...except for Henzilla, of course!!

The most radical idea I have (and I can't be the only one!) is that now may be the time to make this totally electronic and available through the MOA in its internet site. I know I have heard overtones of apps, which tells me that others may be thinking along these lines as well. My problem is I don't do cell phones well, and am (by choice) a computer person. I do almost everything (including watching TV shows, etc.) on or through the computer. When traveling, I take my laptop along, and with nearly every restaurant/campgrounds/McDonalds/etc. WiFi available, I am nearly always connected to the internet.

jlc

Just joined this particular party this afternoon so apologies if it's been covered. There should always be an Anonymous book that can be tucked into a tank bag or wherever. If this idea is "in addition to" the printed book then let's go for it. If it's "in place of" the printed book then no, no, double no.

When one is broken down in TMOWKW an internet only resource will be useless since the nearest internet could be 50 miles or more away. It's also possible the nearest 3G/4G could be many miles away as well. Obviously in such a situation one better hope to have their ham radio along but at least with the printed book it's possible to begin to figure things out.

I hope they do add the additional platforms. It would be nice to have the additional options. I just hope they never do away with the printed book.

Slightly off topic but if if you really want to get calls from the A book, don't list your location as the exact little podunk town you live in. List it as the nearest metropolitan area. Example, I live 20 miles outside of Springfield, MO, but list Springfield as my location. Why, because if some one were to break down, they most likely will look at the map to find the nearest big city and start calling, at least thats what I did when I broke down in western TN.

I would still like to see a listing for those of us who don't mind an overnite guest just for the fun of it. I think a system where it was forbidden to call the 'host' more than one day in advance would be good. With that system, the 'host' has the option of saying 'no vacancy' when you call, and you the traveller aren't hoping the host didn't forget about you because you made your plans 6 months in advance! Also keeps the host from waiting around for the guest, if the guest had unforseen difficulties while they were still days and days away, or decided to go another route. A simple call of," Hey, I'm in your town and saw you like BMW riders for over night company, do have time for a guest tonite?" with the expectation of being turned down, so when they say yes, it is a pleasant surprise for everyone!

I would not approve any of my personal information bring available electronically.

It's uncontrollable. And, it's different from that that's available on the forum.

Still in the book would be ok.

The original purpose of the anonymous book was to provide travelers with a helping hand when they were out of their territory and had mechanical problems on the road, or needed advice about local area attractions. Offers for help are listed to the degree that we can provide. The concept is based on rider's needs.
It is NOT a tool to use when travelling to get a free place to crash for the night. Yes, coffee and conversation is an option, but it can be construed to be a person mooching on the anonymous list. Not the intent!
I've used the list several times, in need of mechanical help, looking for local tourist attractions, good restaurants, and camping options. The goal is that the last thing that you want to do is put a person who's on the anonymous list at a disadvantage by requesting "service/help" without a good reason

Slightly off topic but if if you really want to get calls from the A book, don't list your location as the exact little podunk town you live in. List it as the nearest metropolitan area. Example, I live 20 miles outside of Springfield, MO, but list Springfield as my location. Why, because if some one were to break down, they most likely will look at the map to find the nearest big city and start calling, at least thats what I did when I broke down in western TN.

Your idea is good if you live near a big city but not for many of us. The closest city to me is 50 miles away and then it only has a population of 17,000. To me, the Anon books is made for the sticks because you can normally get help near a city. There are 3 or 4 of us listed for my town and since they are listed alphabetically. I am the last one on the list. The first guy on the list is normally the one called and if he is unable to help, he calls others on the list until one of us can help. He doesn't ask the stranded rider to do the searching since he knows nothing about the equipment and abilities of the other listings. It is a good idea to have a state map with the Anon book so the closest little towns can be identified.

There are 3 or 4 of us listed for my town and since they are listed alphabetically. I am the last one on the list.

I thought the entries were just numbers...do they enter the numbers based upon the alphabetical order of the member's name, and then delete the names upon printing? I never could figure out how the entries were made for any given city.

Back at the turn of the century when I was the president of BMW MOA we had significant debates about whether it was fair to use MOA resources to develop a web site since many members didn't have or know how to use computers. After rancorous debates and a lot of criticism we decided to proceed to have a web site. Again, progress won!

The MOA's first website was built and maintained by Jacuzzi Joe Senner, Ted Verrill, and myself in 1996.

We did it on our own time, using machines, software and hosting service that we paid for ourselves. This was at a time when the Internet was climbing to the moon... my agency had clients paying $30K/month retainers just to be sure our resources were available.

Joe Senner got frustrated first with being ignored by the MOA. Ted Verrill acquired the nickname "Two Truck Ted" in an accident involving his K-bike on the way to the 1999 rally, and after that, for several years I led a team of over 60 contributors who worked in various capacities on a volunteer basis.

IN October, 2003 I made a presentation to the Board that stated we could no longer afford to run a website held together with bubble gum and band-aids. We needed to at least buy us some rubber bands! :ha

I'll not get into the subject of "rancorous debates".... way too painful given that the water flowed under that bridge a real long time ago. :banghead

On the subject of the Anonymous Book, and electronic form... I've always felt that a great use of this book was when planning a ride to someplace I'd not been before. It's a resource for connecting with members in that area and getting all kinds of local information.

Nowadays, with the ability to geo-tag information, there is a great opportunity to use the Anonymous Book to enable connections between members (which is, btw, what the club is all about).

Last, the Anonymous Book is the only source of data we have on our members that could be considered a "profile"... their riding interests, and more. This year, we finally implemented an ADV code, but no one knew about it. I was actually the only member with it because I went into our Association Management System and added it next to my name. For a couple of years, it read "ADV" but this year it just says "a" :scratch

The AB could be so much richer if we were to implement an effort to expand these profiles and persuade members to fill them out.

If we had knowledge, say, of the models of bikes that each member rides, we could deliver targeted advertising via our media that would benefit both the member and the advertiser.

Ian

I thought the entries were just numbers...do they enter the numbers based upon the alphabetical order of the member's name, and then delete the names upon printing? I never could figure out how the entries were made for any given city.

Based on my town, they are apparently listed alphabetically but without the name. I think #2 on the list is the oldest member (both membership and age).

[/I]

I'm in osbornk's corner on using my podunk town.

I sit between two large cities in the TX hill country. I would get lost and not get a call using those towns as they have a lot of members.
I broke down picking a bike up in KY and went to the listing where I was stranded, which was a two listing town...the rescuer was there in less than 30 minutes and took me to Nashville.
and besides that...I am the lone listing in my podunkville..and offer every abbreviation I saw. Have rescued two members in a three year run.
I like the paper version...I can use it as fuel for a signal fire:help

I would simply like my listing to get published. Two years ago I called it in - didn't make the '12 book. Last year I submitted written form - nope. Just looked this year to see if my last two years requests made it - not this time either.

I do live in the middle of fly-over-land 200 miles from any BMW service and 70 miles from a competent shop. Not sure how much mech. help I can provide but can assist with breakdown.

I have never had to use the book but I do keep my copy in my bike and last year's in the wife's.

I would simply like my listing to get published. Two years ago I called it in - didn't make the '12 book. Last year I submitted written form - nope. Just looked this year to see if my last two years requests made it - not this time either.

I do live in the middle of fly-over-land 200 miles from any BMW service and 70 miles from a competent shop. Not sure how much mech. help I can provide but can assist with breakdown.

I have never had to use the book but I do keep my copy in my bike and last year's in the wife's.

Without a really long answer that won't make much sense to perfectly logical people, the system simply skipped you because a field in your record isn't populating correctly. I can correct it for you. My apologies for leaving you out.

On the upside, you know have something to look forward to in 2015!

Ted

Based on my town, they are apparently listed alphabetically but without the name. I think #2 on the list is the oldest member (both membership and age).

I thought about this some more and looked at San Antonio. There are nearly 35 numbers listed and I'm within the first 15. My last name starts with the letter "S". Kind of hard to think that "S" would be so far up in the list. Makes me wonder about the ordering. I've been a member since 1980 and have always been in the book. Maybe the list is updated each by year by removing the old numbers for non-renewing members, and then adding new listings at the bottom. So, the older listings naturally filter towards the top. :dunno

The MOA's first website heavy snip

The AB could be so much richer if we were to implement an effort to expand these profiles and persuade members to fill them out.

At a time when ABC, CBS, NBC PBS were the kings of networking in the rest of the world and the AB was a networking ap when I joined in the 80s. Things have changed a just bit (or is that a bite?) but not with AB.

Respect the print version and leave it in its current form.
Get the promised v1 - opt in - mobile version out and in peoples hands so we have an actual product for people to use.

The rest of what Ian talks about is v2. Ian, why not put up a list of what data fields you would include and let people build on that?

Same issue with me. Missing two years in a row now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same issue with me. Missing two years in a row now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgreen0313,

Your account profile for the Anonymous Book is set to "Do Not List" which means you won't appear in the directory. It isn't the most user friendly design, but it is possible to complete your profile and still not be listed in the Anonymous Book if the check box for Do Not List is checked.

I can switch it for you or you can update your user profile through the main MOA website.

sgreen0313,

Your account profile for the Anonymous Book is set to "Do Not List" which means you won't appear in the directory. It isn't the most user friendly design, but it is possible to complete your profile and still not be listed in the Anonymous Book if the check box for Do Not List is checked.

I can switch it for you or you can update your user profile through the main MOA website.

Thanks. I think I flagged it correctly now but wouldn't mind having you check it for me. I was actually able to edit that portion of my profile, although I can't edit my main profile info because I still get the duplicate profile error. Any idea when that will be fixed? This month I've been a member for one year and that same problem existed when I signed up.

although I can't edit my main profile info because I still get the duplicate profile error. Any idea when that will be fixed?

Stephen -

That's not an issue with the forum profiles...note there are two different databases right now, forum and MOA membership. There's only one of "you" that is registered to the forum.

Back