• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New RT Owner

djbock

Just picked up a 2000 R1100RT, 2 owner (father/son), 42k miles, all dealer service maintenance records in hand. Road her home 5 hours with no issues. So what are some known issues I should check for right away? Already know about the HES and spline failure's, but is there a way to check them before it happens?

Also, what are the "essentials" to carry that might be needed on the road "just in case"?

One more, is there any way to repair/remove scratches on the saddle-bags? Not gouges, scratches in the bags themselves, just paint transfer scratches from moving in out of garage. Has some scratches on the valve covers as well that I plan on repainting and son hand-painted an iron-cross on the front fender that I am wet-sanding off. :scratch

Welcome to the fold.
The only essential that I carry is my credit card and a good service. (Allstate RV is my choice)
I had a 2004 and never found a good way to get scratches off the saddlebags. Not sure if the 04's had a different material than yours.

Try Mother's Back To Black.

I had a K75 that was pretty neglected as far as the plastic pieces on it. Lot's of people recommended Mother's Back to Black as BC1100s does. You know, it worked really well. I was amazed, seeing how far faded the plastic was at that point. It goes on easily and I used a few coats as I recall, but it does do a very nice job. I couldn't tell you how it works, but it does. Got it at Autozone.

Also, what are the "essentials" to carry that might be needed on the road "just in case"?

I just carry the tools in the tool kit, a few fuses, rescue tape and lots of cleaning supplies. Carry a spare warning light bulb - apparently the electrical system won't charge if the alternator warning light is burned out. Oh, and like Sal said, a credit card. :D

If the HES wiring hasn't been replaced, do it now so you never have to worry about it. Replace the alternator belt if it hasn't been done recently. Same with the brake fluid - especially important if you have servo brakes. You can pull your starter and measure the rotational play of the clutch plate on the shaft. Broadly speaking, more than 2mm or so and you want to think about what's going to be your next project.

At 42k miles, its just starting to loosen up nicely. :thumb

Good on you for getting a nice low mileage bike.

I would check the brake lines, if they are black then you need to change them. The lining fails, pieces can clog the ABS and keep brakes from releasing.
This will get you a good flush with the new lines. Do not buy BMW lines, get good aftermarket. I used Spieglar. Any are good.

Replace your fuel lines, and get a new filter. Beemer Boneyard has good price on kits with all the correct hose. The OE lines have limited tolerance of alcohol fuel.

The left side cam tensioner has a new improved design. Sometime you will want to change it if not already. New one has smaller hex head.
Other than that and fluid changes, good tune up, just ride it.

Rod

I remove scratches by doing the following three step process.
1st. I use a good plastic polish and a Mr. Clean magic eraser to rub the scratches out, (I do the entire bag/lid)
2nd. I then use plexus and the Magic eraser to clean the bag again, (to get the past and fine dirt out).
3rd. I then spray the bags again with Plexus and use a microfiber cloth to get the shine back. My bags are 19 years old and look new.
This will work as long as it is fine scratches and not gouges.

Jon S.
1996 R1100RTL
1982 GS1100GK
1982 GS750E
1980 KZ1000LTD

Back