• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2009 F800GS touchy thottle

Was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to control the lower end of the throttle control, say with a weighted flywheel. Very touchy at the bottom end RPM's ?

It's been called a "snatchy" throttle and I know what you are talking about. Many at ADV in the parallel universe section have played with the concept of a fix although none that I have read really looked like the right cure.
If the bike is new to you, I think you will get used to it. Perhaps someone has more current info than I.
I'm going to move this to F-Twins for a better response.
OM

Go over to advriders and do a search, lots of solutions, I cured mine by making a rubber wedge, that I inserted into the bell crank on the Throttle body, cost me zilch, except for time. Essentially the twist grip and bell crank are pulleys. You can spend $75+ on getting a new twist grip, that essentially makes that pulley smaller, or make the lower pulley bigger, which I did by sliding the wedge into the cable grove at the start. It makes it progressive, and at the small throttle openings makes the ratio higher.

Here is a link that inspired me, http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=898233&highlight=throttle
they were just shoving a piece of wire in it, I got a thick piece of urethane rubber, and sliced a wedge shaped piece out to put in the lead portion, you MUST back off all the cable adjusters to give maximum slack when you put it in, than you can adjust the slack as normal once in and seated.

If your looking for better control in low speed off pavement riding, lower gearing helps a lot. Just one tooth smaller on the front sprocket changes the characteristics noticeably. The throttle is still touchy, but you are further into it so it is easier to manage; it also makes it far less prone to stalling the engine when lugging. Secondly, use the clutch to control your speed, not the throttle. Hold a steady throttle setting and feather/slip the clutch to manage the power to the wheel. The clutch will not be abused by this, it can take it just fine.

Gearing

I'd agree with the previous poster on gearing. Took my F700GS off road yesterday and found that
it was just plain geared too high even on just fire roads. Didn't notice much in the way of
twitchy throttle but I could see how one could. Increasing the rear sprocket size over decreasing
the countershaft sprocket will cost a little more (time and money) but will not adversely affect
chain wear.

Was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to control the lower end of the throttle control, say with a weighted flywheel. Very touchy at the bottom end RPM's ?

Check on YouTube. Common problem and several commercial fixes available. Has to do with emissions programing of the computer. Easy fix.

I own R1200r(2012)my son has F800R(2011)less than 2,000mls on it only.The F is as fast as R12,at least it feels like it.At start from stop lite, the R12 is unbeatebel.F has a loooong 1st gear willing to stall.Not R12R.If you are hard at take off R12 is going to wheely.F8 won't.Guess how do I know?!Sometimes wee switching the bikes.R12R is very nimble but F8R is more nimble,it feels like a 250cc bike -soeasy to drive.Yes,R12R is a play in curves but F8R is even lighter, more playable.One tooth less in the front sprocket would fix the problem with lowering the top speed-but again,who need the top speed?Need it only on racetracks.Heats down to F800R.Wibrations?? Above 5,000rpm can feel it-but-nothing compared to any other twin bikes.It is smoot pretty much.R12R is smooter -but nature of the boxers.Life expectation on these bikes ....dunno...probably the boxer would last longer...not 100%shure.Sitting on R12R-love it-sitting on F8R-love it-.I would like and love to have both bikes. That is my personal opinion.

BRGDS,
Steve

I'd agree with the previous poster on gearing. Took my F700GS off road yesterday and found that
it was just plain geared too high even on just fire roads. Didn't notice much in the way of
twitchy throttle but I could see how one could. Increasing the rear sprocket size over decreasing
the countershaft sprocket will cost a little more (time and money) but will not adversely affect
chain wear.

Should drive faster!!!:):whistle:laugh

snatchy throttle

Code:
[CODE]
[/CODE]

I find that when I'm forced to keep a steady speed in first or second gear at "just-off-idle" throttle positions, it is very helpful to just grip the RH bar end weight between my pinky finger and the outside of the palm
and modulate the throttle with my thumb and forefinger...... lots more fine motor control (human, not the bike's) is provided in this fashion. Sure is easier on the drive train and also my nerves.

Montreal traffic is a bitch (ESPECIALLY WHEN IT HITS 85F DEGREES PLUS IN JULY)

BMW could easily remedy this with a different throttle body cable cam shape, but....

cheers,
Ron

Outside of an OEM fix there's a few items you can use to fine tune the OFF-ON throttle.

1. G2 Throttle Tamer - not sure if they make one for the F800 but I've seen it mentioned. I've used these on all my KTM bikes and they help alot.

2. Wuka or other 'power controller'

3. Throttlemeister or other friction-type cruise control. I firm mine down so ha it helps take out slack and fine tunes my throttle control.

4. ,,,And this is interesting...throttle cam mod works on the same principle as the G2, but a bit more crude perhaps: Snatchy throttle

IMG_5515.jpg

Back