• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT sizing question

KARSTEN

good evening,
I have a question regarding the R1200RT fitment, I went today to look at a used 2009 R1200RT, to my amazement I found that there is nowhere to park my legs.
Inseam is 32 inches and there is no way to get knees in there plus the angle of the leg would make it impossible to ride, shift or use the brake.
I noticed that the seat was a one piece, is the stock set up not consisting of two pieces ?
Wondering if that was not the correct seat and ended up being too low. Can foot pegs be relocated? I know lots of questions, I have owned several BMW bikes in the past, non with fairing. Really like the RT1200 and am wondering if my 32 inch inseam makes it impossible to buy and enjoy one.

I also have a 32" inseam and fit on the RT just fine. I had a 2006 before I got the 2020.

The one piece seat available from BMW is an extra low seat, AFAIK. My 2006 had the two piece low seat and it was too low for me, cramped seating and hard to shift as I couldn't get my foot in the right position (even after adjusting the shifter height). I switched to a standard height seat and that was MUCH more usable, eventually I switched to a standard height Seth Lamm seat with an Alaska Leather sheepskin seat cover (Butt Pad) and that was excellent. There are also lowering pegs available for more leg room. The two piece seats also adjust to two positions, high and low.

The one piece seat is the low comfort seat. Mainly for people like me with 31" or less inseam. You'll need to find the factory standard seat and then use the height adjuster to bring the stock seat up even higher.

thanks for the answers,I drove several hundred miles to look at the bike, was so discouraged that the bike did not fit that I even looked at a Honda ST1300. :) I am back in the "let's find that RT-mode".

Just a buyer beware...there are RTs with lowered suspensions which, given your 32" inseam, you probably want to steer clear of.

In addition to lowering pegs, if additional leg room is needed, a Russell Day Long seat adds about an inch to the stock seat height.

Back